Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst he's not at Fernandiho's level yet, I think you underrate him.

Also, when he does eventually start playing a few games, he is playing next to players, the likes of which he has only ever played against. If he is a smart lad, he will learn from them.

Re this new system, if we presumably go back to the old system at home v lesser teams, then if we get a couple of goals in front, that could be a good time to switch & experiment.

I would actually play it v Liverpool, as Klopp will probably try to press us with numbers in our half. Fast counter attacks would be their worst nightmare. If he sits back instead, we can see it & adjust accordingly.

Whilst he's not at Fernandiho's level yet, I think you underrate him.

Not as good and gets hamstring injuries. I'd be very nervous if he started a big match in Dinho's role from last night. Much rather seeing him as the deep sitting player and Fernando given the license to roam and close down.

I agree with that post, definitely, although it was perfect for that game rather than being perfect for us full stop. That type of system and performance relied on a team pushing onto us, it relied on bony holding it up, the wide men running at players and it was also the only system which layer to yaya's strengths. He played facing the goal but didn't have to make last ditch tackles or turn.

Silva or de Bruyne are good enough to slot into one - but not both - of the wide roles potentially, but Sergio can't hold it up like Bony. I see it as another string to our bow rather than the answer to everything.

What's really fucking brilliant, though, is that we can build performances like that on a solid back four with hart, vinny and otemendi holding it together. This team is evolving before our eyes and the squad strengthening by Txiki over the last couple of years is really paying dividends. This was a big, big night.

Agree. We have a new-found flexibility. As we get everyone back fit (fingers crossed) we will have some exciting permutations. Not just worldies like Kun and Dave but Delph will effectively be like a new signing. I can see him playing his full part.

What a time to be a Blue, eh?

Going back to the pre-season friendlies Delph played on the left of a midfield 3 with Sterling ahead of him as a wide left player. I though at the time that it looked very solid and gave Sterling license to bomb on knowing we now had natural cover on the left side.

Since then KDB has come in and Delph got injured so we haven’t really seen a similar set up however last night’s performance was a similar system where 3 midfielders allowed two wide men to bomb on without leaving massive gaps. I think that has to be the template for us
In tough matches (including all CL) going forward and I see Delph fitting in very well.

However I don’t see how you get KDB and Silva in the same system or where Nasri might fit in. I guess it’s a good problem to have when your fringe players look so good it’s hard to pick 2 world class players.

Cleavers, I've been saying that to my mates today, although they aren't having it. Given the circumstances, that was one of the most complete City performances I have EVER seen. A fairer score would have been 6 or 7-1.

It was one of the most complete performances the team has given in my 40 odd years as a season ticket holder.

The whole thing about formations and tactics is interesting (to me) but the key thing yesterday was that every play had a good or very good game and showed the discipline and commitment needed to execute the game plan successfully.

He wouldn't - not when you have Sterling, KDB, and Navas for the wide attacking roles. Horses for courses IMO. Some matches you can play 4231 with Silva in the hole, in fact most matches you can play that way. But that 5/10% of games in a season where we need to show more structural solidity within the system, Silva would probably have to make way.

Big shout about Silva mate but tend to agree with you in a 433, choices choices choices !

It's taken far too long for my liking but huge credit to Pellegrini tonight. I've been convinced for a while hes too much like Wenger and too stubborn to change but he did tonight. Now he needs to show his adaptability for specific games and an ability to pinpoint oppositions weaknesses and set out to take advantage of them. If he does, we'll win silverware this season.

I think he showed equal flexibility/pragmatism for the rags and Palace games too. My main doubt is whether he's got the balls to rotate on occasion at Yaya's expense.

Delighted to see the praise for Pellegrini though. So many viewed him as disposable before the start of the season.

Honestly, I think we could easily play De Bruyne or Silva in place of Yaya in that system if we wanted to. Yaya was the least important player in terms of the shape and functionality of the team, so I don't think we'd lose a whole lot by having someone else playing slightly further forward instead of him. It could even be the long term solution to the Yaya problem, as I think we lose that reliance on him when we play with that formation.

Wasn't having a go fella I just find those graphs pretty silly, both sterling and navas played pretty wide last night, certainly more so than a robben or ribery, silva in that position would show more central and deeper no doubt, if you look at dinho's position for instance it makes a mockery of the graph, the only way you would get a position wider than navas/sterling is if the winger played a lot of the game in the stands drinking a bovril, ie Rick Holden

Those graphs are not silly at all and reference to them will often tell you how wrong some of the "I only need my eyes on the game" Blue Moon experts are at times.

UEFA produce for each UCL game the diagrams for every 15 minute period, each half and the whole game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.