Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err if you read my post you will note that I was answering a hypothetical question and only advocated replacing Ederson if his performances deteriorated, and for further clarification that would have to be a sustained and serious drop in form.
As for Butland it is reported that Liverpool may bid 40 large for him, so he can't be all that bad.

No player has made more mistakes leading to shots for the opposition than Ederson this season. Don’t be bullied out of your subjective opinion mate; facts speak louder than fanboys.

You dont think? I dont expect him to save such a clear 1v1 but he made it pretty easy for Murphy going down like he did.
It's a 1 v 1 mate. He came out, and spread himself. The kid kept his composure and chipped him. Congratulate the kid for taking his chance well.

Nothing to do with Ederson.

No player has made more mistakes leading to shots for the opposition than Ederson this season. Don’t be bullied out of your subjective opinion mate; facts speak louder than fanboys.
Except for this is not a fact. Outside of that, I agree no one should be bullied out of their subjective opinion.

It's a 1 v 1 mate. He came out, and spread himself. The kid kept his composure and chipped him. Congratulate the kid for taking his chance well.

Nothing to do with Ederson.
It wasn't just a 1 v 1, it was a 1 v1 in the middle of the pitch, with no one even getting close to take away his options or rush him. Murphy could have done anything he wanted there, the only chance the keeper has there is if the striker fucks it up, which as you say, he didn't.

He did - his actual goalkeeping is very average, but that’s overlooked because of his left foot.
I disagree.

Weaknesses:
His aggressiveness - coming out of the box to challenge for balls - is slightly overused - on occasions this season, he did not arrive in time when charging out of goal or had to make desperate, risky challenges after doing so. A bit more discipline in this regard would serve him well.

Secondly, Ederson's positioning is at times clearly off - getting angles wrong. Charging out of goal makes positioning a bit more difficult though - so this is understandable given his aggressive nature.

Strengths:
Ederson is easily in the top 2 best keepers in football at distribution (Ter Stegan is his only competition).

Ederson has good reflexes and when in position stops almost all goals he should obviously stop and not infrequently makes excellent stops that most keepers would not.
====
I think that aggressiveness and positioning are factors that can be refined. A bit more training/experience will - IMO - see Ederson dramatically improve in these areas.

But reflexes, and talent on the ball... these cannot be dramatically improved - either you're born with good reflexes and are good on the ball after a few years - or you're not - no amount of training will change slow reflexes to fast or poor ball skills into world class.
=====
TL/DR - Ederson has weaknesses in his game but those weaknesses will likely attenuate as his experience in goal improves. Ederson is talented enough that he might conceivably be the world's best keeper in coming years - failing that, he's already the best keeper bar perhaps Neuer (better keeping) or Ter Stegan (similar distribution but currently playing very well in goal) for our system.

Last edited:

Ederson. How can you not love the crazy bastard?

Defo got a look about him

135714658_1410403987.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.