Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen Pogba's second goal, there was absolutely no weight behind the ball, Ederson could have done a lot better there. Vinny's header was a rocket and some how De gea almost got his hand on it. Ederson needs to work on his reflexes, looking flat footed lately.

I’m not sure I can blame him for any of the seven goals he has conceded in the last eight days but has he made any world class saves in the big games this season? He’s shipped 10 goals in our three meaningful defeats and just a couple of world class stops could have made a huge difference. I’m really disappointed he didn’t prevent one of the goals today: I don’t think any were must saves but none were impossible to stop.

That’s how I feel and it’s how I felt with Bravo too. Did he read the play well enough for the first and third. Could he have saved the 2nd? No major error but no world class saves either. I thought he he slow to react for the Everton goal too. Looks like we compromise on shot stopping ability for the outfield play he brings which is excellent. I don’t think it’s been a good week for him.

That’s how I feel and it’s how I felt with Bravo too. Did he read the play well enough for the first and third. Could he have saved the 2nd? No major error but no world class saves either. I thought he he slow to react for the Everton goal too. Looks like we compromise on shot stopping ability for the outfield play he brings which is excellent. I don’t think it’s been a good week for him.

Agree with all of this. I guess it's the trade off pep has made, a world class ball playing keeper but not a world class shot stopper. I thought he should have done better with the Everton goal and maybe have kept one out yesterday. The best keepers win you points, like DDG yesterday.

Ederson has made some fantastic reflex saves this season and blocked plenty. His positioning for shots is sometimes not spot on but he usually gets very close to stopping it when he does get it wrong. Bravo's (whom I don't particularly rate) technique was poor last season and he never got close to the shots he faced but his technique never changed. Goalkeeping coach?

Part of a keeper’s job for me is to stop things like Pogba being left unmarked and let his team mates know but also to anticipate the danget if he is not picked up, so my feeling is he didn’t read things well enough but I cannot say that has been a common problem.

I didn’t really see Ederson play until he joined us but there is some YouTube footage of him making some cracking saves and that one at Burnley was really good. However, I am a little concerned about whether he is going to step up to the plate as a stopper.

I do think that both he and Bravo have been unfortunate to the extent that a high percentage of the shots on target they actually face have not been easy to stop. In Bravo’s case, I think it affected his confidence.

The way we play means that we can afford most of the time to sacrifice a bit of keeping ability for ball playing but in a run of games like we have now saves need making or you lose; and given what we paid for Eddie, I want to see more.

Obviously, we'd all like him to make saves you wouldn't expect, and he lets too many goals in when it's going badly, but he's young, very raw and will only improve as will the defence.

Have to also remember that his ability to come off his line and sweep up means that he then doesn't face shots that other keepers would have to face by staying on their line, so that in itself is a factor.

Obviously, we'd all like him to make saves you wouldn't expect, and he lets too many goals in when it's going badly, but he's young, very raw and will only improve as will the defence.

Have to also remember that his ability to come off his line and sweep up means that he then doesn't face shots that other keepers would have to face by staying on their line, so that in itself is a factor.

All true.

Very good first season especially when compared to DDG and still relatively young as well I think Pep will sacrifice him not being absolutely top notch for everything else he offers

As a goalkeeper in the old sense of the word I don't think Ederson is any better than Hart.

Hart can pull of Hollywood saves, but makes mistakes and is absolutely shocking if the shot is to his bottom left corner and his control and distribution is terrible. Hart is also pretty poor at coming out of his box.

Ederson doesn't have as many Hollywood saves in him - but faces less shots that Hart. His distribution is excellent and he comes out of the box really well (most of the time).

Comparing them to DDG - possibly the worlds best shot stopper, and he's been the best player at that lot for the last 3-4 years - they would be a LOT worse without him keeping them in games.

If I was going to rate them FIFA style (but out of ten)
Hart - 7/10
Ederson - 8/10 (but with time to improve his stopping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.