Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Threa

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Ray78 said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
one thing I'm not really ok with is how council houses are being knocked down in the area ( according to friend who lives there) and replaced with private housing. which is a lot more expensive. Im all for investment, but if that means getting rid of all the rough looking lower income people, just to make more money, then I'm completely against it. if I'm wrong on this then my bad. the area is changing, but whats happening is th epeople who have always lived there are being turfed out.

Unfortunately that is the price to pay in terms of helping our club grow and there are going to be a few more very unpopular decisions ahead.

its not really helping our club grow though is it, its just a money making for the sheik and etihad as a company. How does moving and replacing people benefit us as a club. it should be benefitting people from the area and manchester not just the rich ( who i presume will be buying these houses)

the investment in east manchester should be benefiting the people who live there, majority of them on lower incomes, not breaking up communities forcing the to move and then replacing them with people who can afford it. all the council and our owners are bothered about is money it seems, but i would like to see more care and thought given to who that effects.

The plans in place will benefit everybody otherwise the whole project wouldn't even got off the ground in the first place.

mikeskitz said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
one thing I'm not really ok with is how council houses are being knocked down in the area ( according to friend who lives there) and replaced with private housing. which is a lot more expensive. Im all for investment, but if that means getting rid of all the rough looking lower income people, just to make more money, then I'm completely against it. if I'm wrong on this then my bad. the area is changing, but whats happening is th epeople who have always lived there are being turfed out.

Sorry don't agree, I am a local resident and at no point has anyone been asked to make way for any private housing.
Have been to numerous meetings and City have no intention of upsetting the local neighbourhood.
Anyone who has moved in the last 3 years in the Beswick area it has been in the planning for a long while under the New Deals for East Manchester it has nothing to do with MCFC

We have too many "mischief makers" on this forum mate.
I understood that the first phase of these houses being built was something in the region of 600 high cost private houses and then an additional 5000+ houses at an affordable level sold/rented via MEC.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
its not really helping our club grow though is it, its just a money making for the sheik and etihad as a company.
How the f*ck is moving people out of houses "money making" for etihad ? (if it were even true)

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
the investment in east manchester should be benefiting the people who live there, majority of them on lower incomes, not breaking up communities forcing the to move and then replacing them with people who can afford it. all the council and our owners are bothered about is money it seems, but i would like to see more care and thought given to who that effects.
"Our" owners ?

mikeskitz said:
Sorry don't agree, I am a local resident and at no point has anyone been asked to make way for any private housing.
Have been to numerous meetings and City have no intention of upsetting the local neighbourhood.
Anyone who has moved in the last 3 years in the Beswick area it has been in the planning for a long while under the New Deals for East Manchester it has nothing to do with MCFC
Thanks for this post mike, someone "in the know" about the situation, unlike those in cheadle_hulme it would seem.

cleavers said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
"Our" owners ?
My thoughts exactly.

cleavers said:
80s Shorts said:
White elephant ? Surely a joke. At the very least this "white elephant" will be earning us millions in revenue from the sale of very very good youngsters. Every now and then some special players will make it through to our first team.
It does make you wonder when you read rubbish like that eh ?

Our owner has spent how much on this "white elephant" ?

Marvin you can do better than that.
Call it what you like, but Chelsea and MCFC have been pumping major investment into the academies for years and I can't think of one player who has come through - whereas the much more impoverished Platt Lane used to develop loads of players for City in the 80s. I grew up watching them, I'm sure you did too.

There is a tension between hundreds of Million Pounds of investment into the top playing squads, the money that comes from success in competitions like the Premier League and the Champions League and in giving time to develop young players in the first team.

City and especially Chelsea have been investing hundreds of Millions in their academies for years. This is Not a new development. And it has worked to the extent that Chelsea have won the FA Youth Cup 3 times in the last years and are the Champions of the U21s league. I remember City playing them in the USA in a friendly and Chelsea were talking about the young players that they had high hopes for, and what happened to them.....they took a back seat as Fabregas, Costa, Luiz etc arrived. City will become the Premier Academy in the country, but we'll still have to move those players from the academy to the 1st team, and neither MCFC nor Chelsea have managed it to date. You look at the young players who have come through in the Premiership.....they are at clubs like Everton, Villa and Southampton, clubs which don't have huge investments in first team squads.

I love the infrastructure development at City, but I am a cynic when it comes to the academy. State of the art technology and facilities are all well and good, but athletes and top footballers develop out of poverty, lack of opportunity, and most of all inner drive and because someone when they are ready to take the final step was ready to give them the opportunity - it will be very very difficult for any coach of any top Premiership club to give their academy players a sustained chance. And that has been the over-riding message from the last 10 years of Premiership football, an era when the top clubs have invested hundreds of Millions in academies and almost without exceptional the best talent has come through at the lower ranked Premiership clubs, or in lower leagues. The reasons are obvious and Compelling.

Footballers develop in Africa, and South America in part because they don't have big footballs or boots, and have to play with smaller balls on bad surfaces, and its the nly way these kids have a future. For the same reason its why boxing is dominated by black Americans, and sprinting by Jamaican and the West Indies. I don't see a problem in taking the best players that are produced from these environments, but you've got to be realistic about their chances of progression into the first team, and you've only got to look back at what's been happening in youth football at Premiership clubs to see that the academys have been a spectacular flop to date.

About 18 months ago, City and Chelsea were both facing UEFA investigations for poaching the best players from French clubs. Utd have been doing it for years to. Where are these players now? I am afraid that the best young payers will continue to come out of Africa, into the French and Portuguese teams that don't have huge playing budgets and then Chelsea, City, Utd etc will then come along with their cheque books and buy them whilst people wonder why is it that the foreign clubs can develop young kids and the Premiership does not. it's obvious. They have to, and the Premiership has much more money, and if you think about it there's a big conflict between the two that no one has solved to date. The possible exception is Barcelona, but they are in a unique position that's very unlikely to happen here in the Premiership. There two teams have total dominance and can introduce players with less pressure and alongside world class players who can carry them through against weak opposition. The Premiership is a totally different environment.

I bet if you talk to players like Micah Richards, Kieran Trippier and the staff who have been involved at City's academy they will recognise the difficulty of giving the kids a chance when they need it. Suarez had to leave. Pozo is now 18. He should be playing to develop. This will always happen. But fans and everyone at City want to win the next game so what do you do

We sold Huws for over 3m last season,many more will bring in similar money over next few seasons and recently we are beginning to see the fruits of our labour in the form of the Denayer,Lopes,Pozo,Fofana,Barker and Angelino - all players that have the potential to regularly feature for us.

The odds of producing a first team player are increasing rapidly,we are still in our infancy regarding such but I am very optimistic about this side of our club.

A white elephant? utter nonsense.

With Liverpool hoping to have an expanded 59,000 capacity stadium for the 2016-2017 season and Spurs a new 58,000 capacity stadium by the 2018-2019 season will City have completed or started work on the North Stand expansion to get capacity up to approx 61,000 by 2016-2017 season, or is it likely that only the South Stand (ready for next season 2015 -2016) will still be the only stand expanded (giving us an approx 55,000 capacity still for 2016-2017) ?

Marvin said:
cleavers said:
80s Shorts said:
White elephant ? Surely a joke. At the very least this "white elephant" will be earning us millions in revenue from the sale of very very good youngsters. Every now and then some special players will make it through to our first team.
It does make you wonder when you read rubbish like that eh ?

Our owner has spent how much on this "white elephant" ?

Marvin you can do better than that.
Call it what you like, but Chelsea and MCFC have been pumping major investment into the academies for years and I can't think of one player who has come through - whereas the much more impoverished Platt Lane used to develop loads of players for City in the 80s. I grew up watching them, I'm sure you did too.

There is a tension between hundreds of Million Pounds of investment into the top playing squads, the money that comes from success in competitions like the Premier League and the Champions League and in giving time to develop young players in the first team.

City and especially Chelsea have been investing hundreds of Millions in their academies for years. This is Not a new development. And it has worked to the extent that Chelsea have won the FA Youth Cup 3 times in the last years and are the Champions of the U21s league. I remember City playing them in the USA in a friendly and Chelsea were talking about the young players that they had high hopes for, and what happened to them.....they took a back seat as Fabregas, Costa, Luiz etc arrived. City will become the Premier Academy in the country, but we'll still have to move those players from the academy to the 1st team, and neither MCFC nor Chelsea have managed it to date. You look at the young players who have come through in the Premiership.....they are at clubs like Everton, Villa and Southampton, clubs which don't have huge investments in first team squads.

I love the infrastructure development at City, but I am a cynic when it comes to the academy. State of the art technology and facilities are all well and good, but athletes and top footballers develop out of poverty, lack of opportunity, and most of all inner drive and because someone when they are ready to take the final step was ready to give them the opportunity - it will be very very difficult for any coach of any top Premiership club to give their academy players a sustained chance. And that has been the over-riding message from the last 10 years of Premiership football, an era when the top clubs have invested hundreds of Millions in academies and almost without exceptional the best talent has come through at the lower ranked Premiership clubs, or in lower leagues. The reasons are obvious and Compelling.

Footballers develop in Africa, and South America in part because they don't have big footballs or boots, and have to play with smaller balls on bad surfaces, and its the nly way these kids have a future. For the same reason its why boxing is dominated by black Americans, and sprinting by Jamaican and the West Indies. I don't see a problem in taking the best players that are produced from these environments, but you've got to be realistic about their chances of progression into the first team, and you've only got to look back at what's been happening in youth football at Premiership clubs to see that the academys have been a spectacular flop to date.

About 18 months ago, City and Chelsea were both facing UEFA investigations for poaching the best players from French clubs. Utd have been doing it for years to. Where are these players now? I am afraid that the best young payers will continue to come out of Africa, into the French and Portuguese teams that don't have huge playing budgets and then Chelsea, City, Utd etc will then come along with their cheque books and buy them whilst people wonder why is it that the foreign clubs can develop young kids and the Premiership does not. it's obvious. They have to, and the Premiership has much more money, and if you think about it there's a big conflict between the two that no one has solved to date. The possible exception is Barcelona, but they are in a unique position that's very unlikely to happen here in the Premiership. There two teams have total dominance and can introduce players with less pressure and alongside world class players who can carry them through against weak opposition. The Premiership is a totally different environment.

I bet if you talk to players like Micah Richards, Kieran Trippier and the staff who have been involved at City's academy they will recognise the difficulty of giving the kids a chance when they need it. Suarez had to leave. Pozo is now 18. He should be playing to develop. This will always happen. But fans and everyone at City want to win the next game so what do you do

Your first para says it all mate - the quality required now compared to the 80s is very different. The players that came through from Platt Lane wouldn't have got in other top squads. It's just that we couldn't afford to buy. We are now getting the best kids but it takes a few years & we've only been at the top for 5 years. Watch this space. In the next 2 years we'll have a stream of graduates from the Acadamy - many British

FantasyIreland said:
We sold Huws for over 3m last season,many more will bring in similar money over next few seasons and recently we are beginning to see the fruits of our labour in the form of the Denayer,Lopes,Pozo,Fofana,Barker and Angelino - all players that have the potential to regularly feature for us.

The odds of producing a first team player are increasing rapidly,we are still in our infancy regarding such but I am very optimistic about this side of our club.

You are totally wrong. We have been investing a lot of resources in the academy for years. Spending money on transfers, and we have always had a whole range of talented players on the cusp of coming through and at 17 and 18 these players should now be playing. But what happens and has been happening for years and not just at City is that these kids get loaned out and eventually are sold

The academy system is not new. All that will happen now is that City will find it easy to recruit, and will be the top academy and will supplant Chelsea. They'll be a shift in the distribution and development of talent at U12 to U18 level, but then they have to go into the 1st team. And that's not a new problem. We've seen the outcome for years.

FantasyIreland said:

Not a white elephant but our development of youth players towards the first team has been pitiful in the last 7 or 8 years. Having the good prospects you.mention is long overdue and with our resources we shouldn't be risking getting a tired David Silva injured in the Cup versus Newcastle. We should have other players to come into the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.