Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by abu13, 28 Mar 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinLee

ColinLee

Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Threa

Is it a certainty that they're building one? I've only ever seen rumour and speculation.

2. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

~The issue facing an academy is that you can churn out decent players by the dozen but it takes more than just that to break into the first team regularly. And Marvin is quite right to say that the barrier has been raised by the level we're now at meaning the likes of Lee Croft, Vladimir Weiss, Stephen Jordan, etc would struggle to get in the first team squad now. That's not to say they're bad players but the level we were at then is so far below the level we are at now. We have to maintain top four and can't afford to take the chances that Southampton or Villa can.

But there's another thing, which is the Academy has to produce players ready for that level and that's not easy. The rags did it with the class of '92 and Arsenal have done it over the last few years but not many others at that level. Barca and Madrid have done it so there is a way. It's fair wnough to say that Messi was a natural but he still needed to develop in the right way and be ready for the exponentially increased demands of the first team.

We had a problem a few years ago, when Hughes was manager and Jim Cassell was running the Academy. Jim produced some great youth teams but Hughes wasn't happy that they weren't prepared for the first team and that Cassell seemed more intent on winning trophies than getting players ready correctly. He didn't use the word "holistic" but that's what Hughes wanted.

So the club used a contact who was close to Arsenal, to look at the way they managed that task. They were told that technique isn't taught after the player turns 16 as they've either got it by them or they haven't. They do focus on developing pace, power, strength, football knowledge, vision and a good understanding of how the first team plays. The players coming through now like Barker & Lopes were probably the first to benefit from that approach but with the further development of the Academy and its facilities, the ones starting to come through in 2 or 3 years or more should be the ones to watch.

3. bluestevei

bluestevei

cheers mate

4. fletcherj

fletcherj

stadium certification is 2 days this week coming up and the first game being held their is Manchester uni on the 14th December

5. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence

Agree with all of that. I might add that if a top team is going to successfully integrate academy players into the first team, there are two prerequisites IMHO. First, you need a really top top coach, someone who is expert at developing young talent to the level required, both technically and mentally. Guardiola could do it obviously, as could Ferguson, and Wenger, Klopp and several others. Someone with a track record of taking promising youngsters and turning out proper footballers. I am not sure PellegrinI is proven in this department?

The second thing is a team that consistently plays the same way, week in, week out. So that every player knows exactly what the plan is and is well drilled into what's required in their role. So the team is very much greater than the sum of its parts and is effective because it functions as a coherent whole. In this scenario, individual brilliance is less important and it's easier to introduce a youngster without too much risk. The Arsenal teams overy the past few years have been well suited to this. But I am not sure we are. Yes we function as a team, but we're still a bit disjointed in my view, dependent on individual brilliance rather than a really effective, well drilled system. Perhaps it's because we have such incredible talents in the team, but we play to accommodate our top players and we play completely differently, depending on who's in the team.

6. ped

ped

are you on a wind up? arsenal!

7. CC1

CC1

But maybe we are not trying to emulate English clubs but the Barcelona model of youth development. Their kids do come through

8. jrb

jrb

Gary Neville.

Hotel Football.

Today.

Click to enlarge.

[bigimg]http://s29.postimg.org/rpcwdhp9z/20141205_140955.jpg[/bigimg]

9. 1.618034

Bless.

10. marco

marco

love the scaffold finish to blend in with the ground, within in a couple of years the ground floor will become a poundland and primark for the men in black and the upstairs a knocking shop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.