Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Threa

supercity88 said:
Marvin said:
Sarutaka said:
You are right it makes absolutely no sense that City will suddenly hit a winning formula. Does that mean City should not try something new at all? What would your solution be? You seem to be complaining and stating that it works at other clubs, but name me one club where it works and is fighting for the top? It is difficult and the likelihood is that we will only bring through perhaps one or two people every so many years. But that is good enough, we will probably also see many of them sold to other clubs, with a deal that will see us with a buy back opportunity like Barcelona tends to do. Stop complaining and be happy we are making so much progress in the youth department. We are actually trying! The results you can already see, the youth players are going on loan to very good clubs and doing well!!!
It works at clubs which can tap South America and Africa, and which don't have big transfer and wage budgets.

What would my solution be? To throw money and resources at it just like City. I have no issues with the development of the academy, just the unrealistic expectations of fans who think that because we've spent £100 m on a new academy, we'll start producing Messis and Agueros. Aguero made his debut at 15 in Argentina. El Apache Tevez made his debut for Boca Juniors at 16. If you had to prioritise resources it would be 1) Player recruitment 2) Stadium 3) Academy. But luckily we don't, so we can do all 3, but every one can see that in this case 1) is bigger than 3).

I know what you mean because essentially the very top footballers in the world aren't a product of academies they just were born with their talent and it was nurtured through their coaching and development. I don't think the likes of Zidane, Messi, Aguero etc really needed much coaching - they just have the talent. Having said that, to attract those players you still have to be able to offer the top facilities and coaches so that when you knock on the future Messi's door and speak to his Dad - you can say this is where your 14 year old son could play and this is what we can do for him. Our academy has to nurture and introduce talent - the issue in England, and with English players is that the attitudes are all wrong. It's big money early doors, big hype, and England call up and then a drop in levels. I can't think of any player in England under the age of 25 who has had more than one quality season.

Our approach with education and mentality should be able to address part of that. Through quality coaching and constant practice at a young age you can become a brilliant footballer. Yes you need some natural ability but when you look at Milner for example, he lives his life free of alcohol to ensure he performs to the best of his ability on the pitch. He isn't as blessed as Silva in terms of natural technique but his work ethic mean he is a quality player who has shown his worth both domestically and in the CL. Manchester is a big place. The likes of Pique, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta didn't grow up far away from the club they ended up playing for. They had the right coaching and the right natural ability. There's no reason the same can't happen with City - we just have to change how we coach and what we look for - which is what we have done. It's not some 6ft 15yr old who wins every header and can kick it a mile. It's not some 5ft 100m sprinter who can chase the ball over the top and score - it's about testing their first touch, their passing and developing their awareness of the game and tactics. That seems to be what's happening and when you see what else the academy is doing in terms of community projects these should be well-rounded individuals. Our younger players seem to speak with a lot of maturity. It will still be a balance of purchasing players and producing our own talent but we are in a position to attract and develop top young footballers.
I'm not sure curtailing what you do and say in public is really maturity, but that's not really the point. What is the point is what happens at 16-18 when these players should be playing 1st team football. That's when it all goes wrong and not just at City but at more or less every Premiership club. It worked at Southampton because their crop of young players got first team chances. It worked at City in the past because Onouha, Barton, SWP, Sturridge, Michael Johnson, Micah, Etuhu etc all got 1st team football. They were involved in the 1st team, and played in the 1st team and improved. I'm sure City's Academy can do this again. Get players to the same level at 16-18, but can the 1st team coach then take these players and play them when if he loses two games its crisis time?

You're a miserable twat Marvin.

Marvin said:
supercity88 said:
Marvin said:
It works at clubs which can tap South America and Africa, and which don't have big transfer and wage budgets.

What would my solution be? To throw money and resources at it just like City. I have no issues with the development of the academy, just the unrealistic expectations of fans who think that because we've spent £100 m on a new academy, we'll start producing Messis and Agueros. Aguero made his debut at 15 in Argentina. El Apache Tevez made his debut for Boca Juniors at 16. If you had to prioritise resources it would be 1) Player recruitment 2) Stadium 3) Academy. But luckily we don't, so we can do all 3, but every one can see that in this case 1) is bigger than 3).

I know what you mean because essentially the very top footballers in the world aren't a product of academies they just were born with their talent and it was nurtured through their coaching and development. I don't think the likes of Zidane, Messi, Aguero etc really needed much coaching - they just have the talent. Having said that, to attract those players you still have to be able to offer the top facilities and coaches so that when you knock on the future Messi's door and speak to his Dad - you can say this is where your 14 year old son could play and this is what we can do for him. Our academy has to nurture and introduce talent - the issue in England, and with English players is that the attitudes are all wrong. It's big money early doors, big hype, and England call up and then a drop in levels. I can't think of any player in England under the age of 25 who has had more than one quality season.

Our approach with education and mentality should be able to address part of that. Through quality coaching and constant practice at a young age you can become a brilliant footballer. Yes you need some natural ability but when you look at Milner for example, he lives his life free of alcohol to ensure he performs to the best of his ability on the pitch. He isn't as blessed as Silva in terms of natural technique but his work ethic mean he is a quality player who has shown his worth both domestically and in the CL. Manchester is a big place. The likes of Pique, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta didn't grow up far away from the club they ended up playing for. They had the right coaching and the right natural ability. There's no reason the same can't happen with City - we just have to change how we coach and what we look for - which is what we have done. It's not some 6ft 15yr old who wins every header and can kick it a mile. It's not some 5ft 100m sprinter who can chase the ball over the top and score - it's about testing their first touch, their passing and developing their awareness of the game and tactics. That seems to be what's happening and when you see what else the academy is doing in terms of community projects these should be well-rounded individuals. Our younger players seem to speak with a lot of maturity. It will still be a balance of purchasing players and producing our own talent but we are in a position to attract and develop top young footballers.
I'm not sure curtailing what you do and say in public is really maturity, but that's not really the point. What is the point is what happens at 16-18 when these players should be playing 1st team football. That's when it all goes wrong and not just at City but at more or less every Premiership club. It worked at Southampton because their crop of young players got first team chances. It worked at City in the past because Onouha, Barton, SWP, Sturridge, Michael Johnson, Micah, Etuhu etc all got 1st team football. They were involved in the 1st team, and played in the 1st team and improved. I'm sure City's Academy can do this again. Get players to the same level at 16-18, but can the 1st team coach then take these players and play them when if he loses two games its crisis time?

Currently, our training facilities are all in the same geographical area.

I think it is highly likely that candidates for PL team are being tried at senior level during training as part of their progress so their ability to integrate should already be known.

Hopefully we will soon have young players who can take this training ground experience to PL level.

stony said:

I wish we had a Like button on here!.........Marvin, sorry mate, but City have moved on from the 80's.

If you look to a couple of years ago, City were loaning out players to League 1 and League 2 clubs in the main. Move to today, the players that City are now developing are mainly being loaned to Championship clubs and top teams in European leagues. These players are gaining invaluable experience and playing at a high level. Not all the players will make it granted, but in the years to come, City will be producing a team with many home grown players, or don't you trust the Board and Owner?.......they certainly haven't let us down yet.

stony said:

He's a nice enough guy and he's definitely no Pidge but he isn't half depressing most of the time. Really really negative.

Plenty of names bandied about. Pele , Messi , Suarez ,Romario , Ronaldo , Little Ronaldo , Zidane , Henry and we all have our favourites.
Most of the great players are from South America - with a few from Europe -including Puskas.
One name not mentioned is Gareth Bale - British( ok Welsh) - he had talent at a young age and was coached to a higher level.
Not many Brits have been chased by Barca , RM , or Bayern. If City Academy can produce one at that higher level we should be very happy.
But will he be lured away from City if we are not in the Champs. league every season?.

CAN I ASK A ?, WHEN DOES THE CAMPUS OPEN, thought it was to open in oct and now we are into dec

stony said:

If it had been the rags he would have been giddy as fuck about it all. Not for one second suggesting he is a rag but as many have seen, he is yet another who finds fault with the club all the time whilst fawning over others.

Strange......

bluestevei said:
CAN I ASK A ?, WHEN DOES THE CAMPUS OPEN, thought it was to open in oct and now we are into dec

Opening ceremony on Monday mate.

mancity dan said:
bluestevei said:

Opening ceremony on Monday mate.

something's happening on Monday but not to do with the opening only mcfc staff family and friends are invited to this event but I can say nothing to do with the opening ceremony remember we still have the academy stadium to certify before this happens plus mcfc said soon so have a date ready when stadium gets sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.