Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue-Eyes said:
Through work, I have a lot of contacts in the Construction Industry and meet the odd Architect from time to time.

I'm not sure if this has been covered in the previous 400+ pages but when chatting to a guy from BAM yesterday, he tells me that the club's owners have gone to great lengths to "get it right first time". To cut a long story short, our ground is a supersized athletics stadium and all athletics stadia are built to deflect crowd noise away from the central area (i.e. so the athletes can hear the gun go off and spectators can hear the tannoy announcements). The owners have carried out worldwide studies to increase the capacity in a way that will increase the atmosphere.

From what I can gather, The South Stand is going to have a large "Kop" style stand for Level 2 and 3. The Architects are going back to old school techniques but putting in as many pillars as possible without causing obstructed views, apparently, pillars create vibrations and noise.
They are also going to alter the angle of the roof around the whole ground to deflect the noise downwards, rather than up in order to capture more noise.

Apologies if you already knew this, I didn't fancy reading the whole thread to check.
Now that is very fucking interesting. I've papped on for a long time about how the stadium layout, roof and materials is a big contributory factor in the poor atmosphere. I was stunned when I sat in the east stand that you simply cannot hear the singing which is going on in the bottom tier. The only way the stadium sounds loud is when the whole ground sings as one and the sound meets in the middle.

I will be hugely impressed if adug address this.

DiscoSteve said:
Blue-Eyes said:
From what I can gather, The South Stand is going to have a large "Kop" style stand for Level 2 and 3. The Architects are going back to old school techniques but putting in as many pillars as possible without causing obstructed views, apparently, pillars create vibrations and noise.
They are also going to alter the angle of the roof around the whole ground to deflect the noise downwards, rather than up in order to capture more noise.

Apologies if you already knew this, I didn't fancy reading the whole thread to check.

I think the 'kop' comment is not quite right - it will be only Level 3 that would form 'a kop style stand' - but that in itself will be deeper then the current East/West Level 3 and as deep as South Stand Levels 1 and 2 together
roofoff.jpg

As for the roof slope - I would agree that the north/south roof will be canted towards the pitch as opposed the current formation where the roof slants upwards
roofon.jpg

those images alone have just made me wish my life away to the time this is actually real.Love this thread and adore our club,bring on the future!!

DiscoSteve said:
Blue-Eyes said:

I think the 'kop' comment is not quite right - it will be only Level 3 that would form 'a kop style stand' - but that in itself will be deeper then the current East/West Level 3 and as deep as South Stand Levels 1 and 2 together
roofoff.jpg

As for the roof slope - I would agree that the north/south roof will be canted towards the pitch as opposed the current formation where the roof slants upwards
roofon.jpg
Great pics, where are they from ?

Thanks for that Blue Eyes.

Very interesting.

Looking forward to the new renders of the expanded South(North?) Stand(s) when they're made public. :-)

EricBrooksGhost said:
Pillars that don't cause an obstructed view; I'm not an architect so can I have some examples please.

I wondered about that too. Pillars that are behind you are the only sort I can think of.

Chancy Termites said:
EricBrooksGhost said:
Pillars that don't cause an obstructed view; I'm not an architect so can I have some examples please.

I wondered about that too. Pillars that are behind you are the only sort I can think of.
Hmm exactly hence my suspicion.
Blue-eyes how sure your architect friends aren't taking the piss?

BWH%20AUDIT%20large%20CREDIT%20BEN%20BLACKALL%20.jpg

bridegwater_900x600_arup.ashx

Dont know about the pillars but if pillars are to be included for some sound benefit could they be similar to those at the bridgewater hall. Could possibly have at the back and side of stand ?

Can't see it myself but thought I would add this to the discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.