Etilsalat 'Congratulations' Cringe

Somebody is paid very good money to come up with that. I wonder whether they are proud of their work. That little ginger kid gets far too much attention too.

i agree. he's on everything now. going off videos as well his family are loaded swell. give some other kids a chance...

The Guardian have joined the lampooning via ‘The Fiver’ (tea-time football satire email newsletter):

IF YOU’RE HERE FOR MAN CITY SHOUT HOORAY!

It having been quite apparent that Manchester City would stroll to victory in this year’s title procession playing some of the prettiest football ever seen in the English top flight, it seems strangely fitting that their coronation was confirmed by their fiercest rivals playing some of the most turgid and ugly. By losing to a team – the worst in the division by a significant margin – that had one league win to their name for every manager they’ve employed this season, Manchester United ensured their noisy neighbours were confirmed as champions without Pep Guardiola so much as having to leave the golf course.

Afterwards, keeping it real with some of his team-mates down his local rough-house boozer … er, brasserie on the mean streets of … er, Hale in Altrincham, City captain Vincent Kompany was filmed giving a rabble-rousing address to his fellow drinkers, among them Fabian Delph, Kyle Walker, Bernardo Silva and John Stones. “It’s been an [effing] long journey, especially if you’ve been a blue for more than 40 years in your heart,” he bellowed in the direction of a bemused stockbroker and his family who had taken Great Aunt Doris out to celebrate her 90th birthday with a quiet carvery and a couple of sherries. “But tonight we won it again! So let’s celebrate together.”

Manchester City have stirred hearts to earn a place in pantheon of great sides | Jonathan Wilson

Meanwhile in the UAE, telecommunications operator Etisalat were keeping things slightly less real. When it became apparent the club they sponsor had become champions, the company released a lavishly produced celebratory video so twee, cringeworthy and toe-curling that The Fiver can’t help but feel that there must be City fans out there genuinely weighing up whether the joy of winning the league hasn’t perhaps been eclipsed by the embarrassment of being associated with any club willing to put its name to such an abomination. Featuring Sergio Agüero, Ederson, Leroy Sané and Phil Foden, the 60-second clip features a range of extras including an impossibly chirpy taxi-driver and four old blokes necking pints of water in a pub while chanting the kind of terrace anthem that would be considered exceptionally abject by those participating at a parent-and-toddler morning singalong, let alone any self-respecting football fans celebrating a title win.

Quite when the video was filmed is anyone’s guess, but The Fiver is going to guess it could have been as far back as last year. Foden is sporting a jersey number he has since swapped and there’s no conceivable way Agüero could have been convinced to take part unless he was being forced to as punishment for getting himself involved in a (comparatively minor) car crash while gallivanting around Amsterdam. While the identity of the clip’s production team is also a mystery, what does seem apparent is that not a single person among the director, his assistant directors, runners, cameramen, riggers, lighting engineers, sound engineers, gaffers, best boys, key grips or extras could have ever set foot inside a football stadium. Or a pub.

Who cares? They're a sponsor, they pay the coin to do stuff, it's in the job description.

I feel like I need to cleanse my palette after watching that, does anybody have any crystal meth?

I’m actually not particularly bothered by the advert, I just thought The Fiver’s feature was on point and amusing.
It is.

I haven't watched the video, and have no intention of doing so, why anyone is getting upset by it I have no idea though.

I'm too busy smiling about the fact that we've just done our second double in 4 years, and I can't wait to be at the stadium on Sunday to celebrate it.

It is.

I haven't watched the video, and have no intention of doing so, why anyone is getting upset by it I have no idea though.

I'm too busy smiling about the fact that we've just done our second double in 4 years, and I can't wait to be at the stadium on Sunday to celebrate it.
I wish I could be there.

Celebrate for the both of us, mate... with a rousing chorus of “If you’re here for City”. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.