FA Cup attendances

I think there should be some sort of seeding in the third round so the bottom placed clubs get a big tie against one of the top teams. Exciting, once-in-a-lifetime fixture for those teams, plus a huge payday. That type of fixtures is what the FA Cup is all about.

Hull vs Swansea and Sunderland vs Burnley - the magic of the FA Cup! Boring.

Certainly as late as the late 1980's & if we go back further, our record home attendance is an fa cup tie, the highest attendance at the swamp is an fa cup tie (between Wolves and Grimsby iirc) & many other clubs will be the same, so for many years, the cup was more attractive to fans than the league, however now it's the other way round (& for some appears to be an irrelevance, or an inconvenience).
For me, it's sad to see what used to be such a fantastic competition relegated in people's affections in this way, & was wondering why others thought this has happened, or to point out how it is still the same competition it always was.
(I also note the sparse crowd at the Cardiff game on now, & Birmingham seemed to have about 5,000 less than normal despite 4,500 travelling fans, which I doubt Brighton or Brentford brought to St Andrews).
Not a slight about any club, but about the competition in general
So roughly around 75 k missing from yesterday's games?

I think there should be some sort of seeding in the third round so the bottom placed clubs get a big tie against one of the top teams. Exciting, once-in-a-lifetime fixture for those teams, plus a huge payday. That type of fixtures is what the FA Cup is all about.

You mean like Old Trafford away for smaller clubs? Been going on for years, fuck all to do with romance though!

Certainly as late as the late 1980's & if we go back further, our record home attendance is an fa cup tie, the highest attendance at the swamp is an fa cup tie (between Wolves and Grimsby iirc) & many other clubs will be the same, so for many years, the cup was more attractive to fans than the league, however now it's the other way round (& for some appears to be an irrelevance, or an inconvenience).
For me, it's sad to see what used to be such a fantastic competition relegated in people's affections in this way, & was wondering why others thought this has happened, or to point out how it is still the same competition it always was.
(I also note the sparse crowd at the Cardiff game on now, & Birmingham seemed to have about 5,000 less than normal despite 4,500 travelling fans, which I doubt Brighton or Brentford brought to St Andrews).
Not a slight about any club, but about the competition in general
Fair enough, although if you look at our attendance v Liverpool, who were the biggest draw of the day, in the quarter final at Maine Road in '88, the crowd was 44,000, some 30,000 less than we got for a league game three years earlier :-)

Wycombe against Stourbridge, Barrow against Rochdale, Lincoln away to Ipswich Town, Sutton against AFC Wimbledon etc, these are the stories that the cup is about, especially on third round day

If the FA cup is such a big draw around the world according to the FA , how come only the mk dons and the barrow game were available for broadcast of the 1500 kick offs ?

Certain PL clubs throwing the FA Cup to stay up. Yet they still charge top dollar to watch their reserve teams get spanked by a full strength EFL side. No wonder fans don't bother.

Fair play to Hull fans. They really need to pick a few PL fixtures to do it in too and away fans to support them.

If the FA cup is such a big draw around the world according to the FA , how come only the mk dons and the barrow game were available for broadcast of the 1500 kick offs ?
And one of those was free to air (in Germany I think, Eurosport 1)

Fair enough, although if you look at our attendance v Liverpool, who were the biggest draw of the day, in the quarter final at Maine Road in '88, the crowd was 44,000, some 30,000 less than we got for a league game three years earlier :-)
We got 74,000 for a league game in 1985? I must have been away that week....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.