Facebook listening in

If i buy something or search for something then ads for that particular product are advertised on Bluemoon. Everyones at it
The one I don't get is Amazon where you buy something and then it shows you loads more of the thing you just bought. With stuff like books that makes sense, but if I've just bought a kettle, what are the chances that I'm gonna be in the market for another kettle straight away?

The one I don't get is Amazon where you buy something and then it shows you loads more of the thing you just bought. With stuff like books that makes sense, but if I've just bought a kettle, what are the chances that I'm gonna be in the market for another kettle straight away?
You'd be surprised. I've had a kettle less than six months and it's had it. Strange yellowish limescale on the element and might be imagining it but I think it smells bad and taints the water. I'll be getting one of those filter ones next for sure.

google, amazon and fb all listen in as do many other apps, I mean why do most ask permission to your mic, camera, phone records and contacts.

Nosey bastards

FB app acted up when I turned off permisssions for mic and camera

FB on iOS never asks me for Mic permission and doesn't list it at all.

I have spotted this sort of thing happening though myself and i've been trying to work out any correlation to Facebook and web connection ( I get different adverts on work wifi/Home Wifi and Mobile ) I also see adverts for things my wife has looked at. which suggests a lot of the advert providers actually use IP ranges to target adverts to all devices on that IP range.

So, if you happened to look up any info about that film, look at IMDB etc on your phone/device while watching the film its entirely possible that your wife saw an advert on her FB because of that.

Its really quite shit but I do think its advertising clients rather than the apps themselves.

On an slightly related note, Permissions on devices seem a lot more scary than they are most of the time. The App I code has a series of quite scary sounding permissions that are all very innocent when you know what we use it for, we try to make sure we tell users exactly what we need it for, for example,

- we need to download a PDF, to do that we need access to read/write storage on the phone, which shows about being able to see your photo's etc etc which we just dont want to do.
- We need to get your sim number for security, to do that the permission says we can make and manage calls from your phone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.