False 9

You were going well, until Delph ;-)

I think we have a host of players who could play the role, including Aguero, should Pep choose to use it but Delph would be well down on list.

I don't agree that Sterling isn't intelligent enough to play the role yet; at least I don't think we know but Pep would. Sterling seems a bright boy to me and one who would be capable of learning quickly from Pep.

Nasri, Nolito, KDB, Silva, Sane, Nacho and Yaya could all do it too.

As much as I'd love it (in a friendly), the Delph comment was tongue in cheek. I agree though, I think De Bruyne, Nolito, Sterling and Sane could all possibly play that role. IMO, Silva is better suited to having a teammate in front of him.

CrHD5npW8AELOCq.jpg:large

finger-pointing-up-icon.gif

KDB is the best at the false 9. You must be able to make final passes and score at that position. KDB's finishing ability sets him apart. Nolito is also okay here but not sure about his final passes.

This was what I was thinking, play Silva, Dinho and Gundogan in Midfield with De Bruyne, sterling and Nolito in front of them and Sane, Nacho and Navas on the bench.

Whilst I wish it was a different fixture, I am incredibly excited to see a Pep team with potentially 5 attacking midfielders + Gundogan and Fernandinho. Could be magic.

What a load of old bollocks. False fucking 9 my arse. Pretentious bullshit.
Even "attacking midfielder" sounds traditional in comparison. I'll go one better, fucking horseshit term created, not by the players who employ the tactic, but by anoraks with way way way too much time on their hands.

Even "attacking midfielder" sounds traditional in comparison. I'll go one better, fucking horseshit term created, not by the players who employ the tactic, but by anoraks with way way way too much time on their hands.

“The false 9 existed in football as far back as the days when the Argentine Adolfo Pedernera was playing for and leading Máquina de River Plate (1936-1945), although the first player to really make it his own was the Hungarian Nándor Hidegkuti... Players such as Alfredo Di Stéfano, Michael Laudrup and Francesco Totti had all been great exponents of the same position but it had fallen out of fashion until May 2, 2009”

Marti Perarnau: "Pep Confidential"

Or is reading too pretentious for you busy non-anoraks (with thousands of posts on a football forum)?

“The false 9 existed in football as far back as the days when the Argentine Adolfo Pedernera was playing for and leading Máquina de River Plate (1936-1945), although the first player to really make it his own was the Hungarian Nándor Hidegkuti... Players such as Alfredo Di Stéfano, Michael Laudrup and Francesco Totti had all been great exponents of the same position but it had fallen out of fashion until May 2, 2009”

Marti Perarnau: "Pep Confidential"

Or is reading too pretentious for you busy non-anoraks (with thousands of posts on a football forum)?
Nail on head.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.