Fascinating old Manchester pictures.

Funnily enough, my Mam, her fours sisters and her Mam and Dad lived in a two room cellar under a cobblers in Ladybarn, when they were offered a house on Haveley road my Granddad apparently told them to “fuck off, I’m not moving to the countryside in the middle of nowhere”, still makes me laugh.
Mams family moved out of a Hulme back to back to Benchill when she was a kid, said the same about it being in the countryside. When I was a kid, my folks moved from a flat off Cornishway to a house off Portway in about 1970 and before the M56 was built, I recall seeing cows in the garden and on the road in front of the house more than once. Shite everywhere, the old blokes would run out scoop it up in a bucket and chuck it on their roses.

Remember the paraffin heaters well. Had one at my grandmas in the 70's. Was in the hall, no central heating, only a coal fire. Bedrooms were freezing. For some funny reason I also remember getting an Action Man with gripping hands for Xmas, I was so happy.

I can still remember the smell and noise it made. My dad bless him used to be up at 5 am for work. He would turn on the paraffin heater on the landing and open our bedroom doors and the bathroom to warm them up before we got up for school. It would start to slowly melt the ice on the inside of my bedroom windows.

I can still remember the smell and noise it made. My dad bless him used to be up at 5 am for work. He would turn on the paraffin heater on the landing and open our bedroom doors and the bathroom to warm them up before we got up for school. It would start to slowly melt the ice on the inside of my bedroom windows.
You must have been a proper rich bastard if you had windows.

Funnily enough, my Mam, her fours sisters and her Mam and Dad lived in a two room cellar under a cobblers in Ladybarn, when they were offered a house on Haveley road my Granddad apparently told them to “fuck off, I’m not moving to the countryside in the middle of nowhere”, still makes me laugh.
My Dad, his seven brothers and sisters, his Mum and Dad lived in a two up, two down in Lyth Street, Ladybarn.

Remember the paraffin heaters well. Had one at my grandmas in the 70's. Was in the hall, no central heating, only a coal fire. Bedrooms were freezing. For some funny reason I also remember getting an Action Man with gripping hands for Xmas, I was so happy.
Only slightly safer than the the three bar electric fire me grandma had in the bathroom!

My Dad, his seven brothers and sisters, his Mum and Dad lived in a two up, two down in Lyth Street, Ladybarn.
That’s where my Mam was, her Nanna and Granddad lived in the house next door lol, there was only a few houses there so they may have been neighbours !

Sadly, those few old terrace houses have gone and were replaced ages ago with some new build type things.

1708875010863.png
Withington Scala.
I went with a few friend to watch any random film here back in the day. Elephant Man was on one day and some girl that was with us laughed hysterically all the way through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.