First Away Game

Dippers 66. For me first time in Div 1

Lost 2 3 but we were great. Still remember the morning papers next day. One with a classic headline..
'I dont know why the kop were singing, they should have been praying;

Chased across Stanley Park after the match. Great night out.
Yes at that match midweek we are 2-1 up,week before we beat them at home our first home game of that season 66/67.

Forest away, end of the 94/95 season. I was 10. Sat high in the stands with the Forest fans, we were there with some Forest-supporting friends of my parents from Nottingham. Lost 1-0 to a really scrappy Collymore goal, hazy memory but bit of a depressing game if I remember well.

When I was a kid we had the 92/93, 93/94 and 95/96 season review VHS tapes but I only recently got my hands on a 94/95 one. As a kid I loved that season under Horton despite where we finished - when you watch the season back and see how many points we lost to terrible goalkeeping (all of them at times - Coton, Dibble, Burridge, and the less said about Simon Tracey the better), we could have easily finished safe mid-table. And of course it was the one year around then that United didn’t win it, which helped.

Late 60's, Turf Moor. The only away match I went to with my Dad who died in '71. It was 25/- each on the Finglands coach and we sat in the 'posh seats' which tipped up and down and were a bit better than the Platt Lane benches but cost 12/6. Must have cost the old man around a fiver overall which was probably not far off half his weekly take home pay at the time. Quite a precious memory for me personally!

everton away 1977 to 78 programme

EVERTON 1 CITY 1

League Division 1

1st October 1977

Attendance 43,286

Scorers
City
Hartford(49)
Everton Latchford(60)

Ref D Turner​

City Corrigan, Clements, Donachie, Owen, Watson, Booth, Barnes, Kidd, Power, Hartford, Tueart – sub Royle(45)

Everton Wood, Darracott, Pejic, Lyons, Higgins, Rioch, King, Dobson, Lathford, McKenzie, Thomas – sub Pearson(unused)

Went on my own, on the coach from Maine Road, I had just turned 14!!
Kicked off outside the park on the way back to the coaches!
That was when Goodison was a Great Ground, with the Horse Shoe ends

October 1973. Sheffield United on the Special. Me and my mate aged 14. We won 2-1 and I got beat up.

EDIT:
Actually, it was Nov 72 v Leeds. Lost 3-0. I was taken by a family friend a Leeds fan in the Lowfields Rd aged 13. What a baptism. The Blades game above is the first on my own… ie without an adult

Last edited:
Leicester August 1976, opening game of the season. Result was 2-2 (Tueart, Royle) but being so young I don't remember much of the day except waving to other Blues on the motorway and the Elton John/Kiki Dee song being played a lot on the radio!

Obviously we didn't realise it at the time but if we had won that game we may have won the league, finishing a point behind Liverpool in the end. We had a great team at that time and that was the season I really fell in love with City, having my first ST in the Platt Lane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.