Football Tourists

Two Korean chaps next to me yesterday > Just before kick off he asked who I was supporting?
Four Sherman Tanks > parents with 2 kids.
Dad was talking to Manchester lad at half time and Dad said tickets bought as day out and son supported the other Nanchester team...WTF

We took our seats early yesterday and our end was getting on for a quarter full, most were obvious tourists. As far as I am concerned they are very welcome and the more the merrier as long as they support the Blues during the game.......but NOT at the expense of any seasoncard holding blues who can't get a ticket due to the creaming off. Sort it out City.

The Premier league is broadcasted worldwide, the main reason PL-teams have a lot of money compered to teams in other European leagues. The to be expected effect is that people who visit England go and watch a PL-game. Most go to see the topclubs or topplayers. And apparently we have become one of those. You can't have it both ways i.e. a big club and only local fans.
Btw, where does 'local' end? And what is the definition of a true City-fan?

For the ones who don't know, I'm Dutch and became a Blue ever since 76. I shout, I sing, and I never buy half-and-half scarves. And I wonder why "local true City-fans" (whatever the definition of that may be) moan, hardly sing, or are that pissed that they fall asleep during the game or start fighting among one another. From that point of view I'd rather have fans from afar who are enthousiastic in their way of supporting club and players.

As IF people without a seasonticket get tickets where seaon ticketholders can't, that is something for the club to sort out. Don't blame the people who somehow got these tickets. They just try as we all do.

The Premier league is broadcasted worldwide, the main reason PL-teams have a lot of money compered to teams in other European leagues. The to be expected effect is that people who visit England go and watch a PL-game. Most go to see the topclubs or topplayers. And apparently we have become one of those. You can't have it both ways i.e. a big club and only local fans.

For the ones who don't know, I'm Dutch and became a Blue ever since 76. I shout, I sing, and I never buy half-and-half scarves. And I wonder why "local true City-fans" (whatever the definition of that may be) moan, hardly sing, or are that pissed that they fall asleep during the game or start fighting among one another. From that point of view I'd rather have fans from afar who are enthousiastic in their way of supporting club and players.

As IF people without a seasonticket get tickets where seaon ticketholders can't, that is something for the club to sort out. Don't blame the people who somehow got these tickets. They just try as we all do.

i agree with what your saying and tourists are of course welcome at city, but the ones benefiting from manchester city the most imo should be mancunians. i dont want the club to end up like united or liverpool, where by barely any locals or people who live in the city dont go to games. what would be the point of beign in manchester if people from there aren't going ? we have always had huge local/manchester/greater manchester support and we shouldn't lose that imo.

Whenever I go on holiday I go watch the local sports team, I thought it was a pretty standard thing to do?

Good post eversince 76. They key thing is that the people in our end support the Team / Club. This doesn't always seem to be the case, particularly at away game in London.

Good post.

So just because someone has a half and half scarf they can't be a true City/Arsenal/Spurs etc fan? I know some people who support City and have done so from afar for years but have not been able to get over for many games therefore when they come they like to take a half and half scarf back as a souvenir. Just saying like. :-)

I think if I ever take my grandkids to watch City, I'll buy them a half and half scarf to mark the occasion. Something for them to put up on their bedroom wall. And I do know an Aussie who is in the UK on holiday who paid a small fortune for a ticket to watch the game, supporting Arsenal, who also bought one yesterday. I dont think there's anything in the slightest wrong with people doing that. I was just making the point (not very well) that there are so many on show at the big games nowadays, that's its not just City who have "tourists", and we just need to get used to it.

I think if I ever take my grandkids to watch City, I'll buy them a half and half scarf to mark the occasion. Something for them to put up on their bedroom wall. And I do know an Aussie who is in the UK on holiday who paid a small fortune for a ticket to watch the game, supporting Arsenal, who also bought one yesterday. I dont think there's anything in the slightest wrong with people doing that. I was just making the point (not very well) that there are so many on show at the big games nowadays, that's its not just City who have "tourists", and we just need to get used to it.

Sorry Cibaman, I think I could have worded that first sentence a little better. Didn't mean it as a dig at anyone, just a question really. :-) My apologies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.