Football Tourists

Sorry Cibaman, I think I could have worded that first sentence a little better. Didn't mean it as a dig at anyone, just a question really. :-) My apologies.

No need to apologise. I was stood behind half a dozen Americans yesterday. It was quite clear that two of them were committed City fans. They were really excited to be at the match, doing all the stuff that "tourists" get criticised for doing, taking selfies etc but they were just as surprised as I was to see Navas lining up at right back. The other 4 or 5, clearly didnt have a clue about the game, had to have everything explained to them by the two that did and were just there because it was something cool to do on their UK trip. I think we should be delighted to have the first two at City games, despite the selfies and half and half scarves, but it was disappointing that the rest of them managed to get tickets.

Pretty sure I saw the club selling tickets for £150 on linkedin for the game - I'm sure of a lot of people would pay that for a big game on the continent if you were in that part of the word. Hardly a surprise that Korean or American tourists with a few quid to their name decided the same.

I think if I ever take my grandkids to watch City, I'll buy them a half and half scarf to mark the occasion. Something for them to put up on their bedroom wall. And I do know an Aussie who is in the UK on holiday who paid a small fortune for a ticket to watch the game, supporting Arsenal, who also bought one yesterday. I dont think there's anything in the slightest wrong with people doing that. I was just making the point (not very well) that there are so many on show at the big games nowadays, that's its not just City who have "tourists", and we just need to get used to it.

i dont know why any city fan would want a half and half scarf, other then european games. why would you want arsenal on something you own. they are awful. on tourists we have no where near as many tourists as the other big clubs.

The Emirates was crawling with "tourists" yesterday and it was, without doubt, the most sterile atmosphere I've ever experienced. The Tarquins were appalling, it was like going to the theatre, no noise. no banter, no nothing..

To be fair, our end was just as quiet, it was just...meh.

If this is how football is going to develop in the future, I'm out..

Coming over from Cork Sat morning for the Hull game with my two boys, 17 & 14, both City fans. Supported City all my life, even when all around me were Ushited or L'pool fans. Don't mind being called tourists as that's exactly what we'll be, taking selfies and grinning ear to ear just to be there and hopefully soaking up a brilliant atmosphere (no half n halves tho). On the Friday night we'll be at Cork City vs Derry City in the League of Ireland and if anyone is ever visiting they'd be more than welcome to watch a game. Any recommendations for matchday entertainment for two teenage boys welcome.

What do you expect when the Club is selling corporate tickets for the Watford game at £150. plus VAT.
And you don't have to have attended a City game before to get one.
I dont blame the people who buy them I blame the people who sell them.

The Emirates was crawling with "tourists" yesterday and it was, without doubt, the most sterile atmosphere I've ever experienced. The Tarquins were appalling, it was like going to the theatre, no noise. no banter, no nothing..

To be fair, our end was just as quiet, it was just...meh.

If this is how football is going to develop in the future, I'm out..

Totally agree about the atmosphere - it was shite and while some away games have been hit and miss atmosphere-wise this season, that was easily the worst away atmosphere of the lot out of a dozen or so away games I've attended. It was nigh on impossible to try and get any songs going from where I was. Some fans further back were making a gallant effort but hardly any songs caught on. And while there were a lot of touristy types yesterday, there were still plenty of the usual faces on the concourse when I went for a pint at half time so I don't think we can put all this on the tourists/JCLs. There are long-standing blues who can't be arsed singing either.

The Arsenal fans weren't up to much either but that's no excuse for us hardly singing ourselves.

Coming over from Cork Sat morning for the Hull game with my two boys, 17 & 14, both City fans. Supported City all my life, even when all around me were Ushited or L'pool fans. Don't mind being called tourists as that's exactly what we'll be, taking selfies and grinning ear to ear just to be there and hopefully soaking up a brilliant atmosphere (no half n halves tho). On the Friday night we'll be at Cork City vs Derry City in the League of Ireland and if anyone is ever visiting they'd be more than welcome to watch a game. Any recommendations for matchday entertainment for two teenage boys welcome.

I'm the opposite of a tourist; born in St Mary's within sight of the Maine Road floodlight's; lived in Gorton and West Gorton all my life (no ambition); went to secondary school in Rusholme (used to wag it on Friday mornings to watch then train at Platt Lane); and I'm a life long blue. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

I'd like to say to any 'tourists' who frequent this web site that you're very welcome. We don't all regard you as second class citizens.

The Premier league is broadcasted worldwide, the main reason PL-teams have a lot of money compered to teams in other European leagues. The to be expected effect is that people who visit England go and watch a PL-game. Most go to see the topclubs or topplayers. And apparently we have become one of those. You can't have it both ways i.e. a big club and only local fans.
Btw, where does 'local' end? And what is the definition of a true City-fan?

For the ones who don't know, I'm Dutch and became a Blue ever since 76. I shout, I sing, and I never buy half-and-half scarves. And I wonder why "local true City-fans" (whatever the definition of that may be) moan, hardly sing, or are that pissed that they fall asleep during the game or start fighting among one another. From that point of view I'd rather have fans from afar who are enthousiastic in their way of supporting club and players.

As IF people without a seasonticket get tickets where seaon ticketholders can't, that is something for the club to sort out. Don't blame the people who somehow got these tickets. They just try as we all do.

I didn't mention local, I suspect that you were referring to Stonerblue's post who just might have been having a tongue in cheek joke re "The League of Gentlemen".

However, either way, I don't care if a Blue is from Crumpsall or Timbuktu, as I said in my post they are all very welcome. If our friend from Timbuktu has supported City since 76 then fair play to him and if he has latched onto us last week then I applaud him, we all have to start sometime. I sincerely hope that he can get tickets for games and serve his City apprenticeship, but don't expect me to agree to him getting a match ticket before a seasoncard holder who has just missed out on points because of the limited supply due to "creaming off" for our friend from Timbuktu.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.