Foreign Fans

So here we go with my story as a foreign South African City fan...
I always enjoyed playing footy and FIFA an FM, but only started watching when I was about 14.
All my friends were fans of the top 4 so I instantly despised all of them, and had always played with City as a mid table team in FIFA.

Then the Robinho signing made my mind up for me, that this was the club I would stick to.
And that was the beginning of what became an addiction.
Then watching how much the Tevez signing got under all the Rags I knew skin and absolutely loving it and seeing us just miss out on top 4 and already getting stick as the only City fan anyone knew.
2010 saw Yaya arrive and from that moment I did not miss a game with him being my absolute idol the way he dominated a pitch every time he played on it.
The goals against United and then Stoke and seeing the banner come down, even though I wasn't there for all the hurt I had become so involved in everything about the club that it actually meant something to me.
Then my girlfriend went over to the UK and brought me back my first City Shirt with my name on it during the title winning season and I don't think I ever took it off and sitting on my couch in tears when Aguerooooooooooo happened, and how emotionally attached I became showed me what being a fan of this club meant.
Side Note, now have a collection of shirts with Aguero 16, Aguero 10, Kompany 4, Sterling 7, Balotelli 45, Yaya 42, Sane 19, KDB 17, Gundogan 8, Silva 21, so all those figures about foreign shirt sales is me ;)
The low of the following season after each title win has made me even more attached as it really is about nothing being a guarantee and just enjoying the ride every season.

In 2013 I got to see us play live for the first time in the pre season game against Super Sport United, even though we lost I was in total shock and awe of getting to see my heroes play in person.

And finally I got to come see a game live last year when we ripped West Ham apart 3-1 at the Etihad and it is honestly the greatest day of my life finally getting to be there after watching every game on TV for all these years and wishing I could be in the stands.
And it definitely will be the first of many I make my way over to watch.

Being a fan of this club has really just been the greatest privilege and a constant emotional rollercoaster with never a dull moment, and I'm not going anywhere!
CTID

So here we go with my story as a foreign South African City fan...
I always enjoyed playing footy and FIFA an FM, but only started watching when I was about 14.
All my friends were fans of the top 4 so I instantly despised all of them, and had always played with City as a mid table team in FIFA.

Then the Robinho signing made my mind up for me, that this was the club I would stick to.
And that was the beginning of what became an addiction.
Then watching how much the Tevez signing got under all the Rags I knew skin and absolutely loving it and seeing us just miss out on top 4 and already getting stick as the only City fan anyone knew.
2010 saw Yaya arrive and from that moment I did not miss a game with him being my absolute idol the way he dominated a pitch every time he played on it.
The goals against United and then Stoke and seeing the banner come down, even though I wasn't there for all the hurt I had become so involved in everything about the club that it actually meant something to me.
Then my girlfriend went over to the UK and brought me back my first City Shirt with my name on it during the title winning season and I don't think I ever took it off and sitting on my couch in tears when Aguerooooooooooo happened, and how emotionally attached I became showed me what being a fan of this club meant.
Side Note, now have a collection of shirts with Aguero 16, Aguero 10, Kompany 4, Sterling 7, Balotelli 45, Yaya 42, Sane 19, KDB 17, Gundogan 8, Silva 21, so all those figures about foreign shirt sales is me ;)
The low of the following season after each title win has made me even more attached as it really is about nothing being a guarantee and just enjoying the ride every season.

In 2013 I got to see us play live for the first time in the pre season game against Super Sport United, even though we lost I was in total shock and awe of getting to see my heroes play in person.

And finally I got to come see a game live last year when we ripped West Ham apart 3-1 at the Etihad and it is honestly the greatest day of my life finally getting to be there after watching every game on TV for all these years and wishing I could be in the stands.
And it definitely will be the first of many I make my way over to watch.

Being a fan of this club has really just been the greatest privilege and a constant emotional rollercoaster with never a dull moment, and I'm not going anywhere!
CTID

Awesome story that mate. No one can doubt your commitment and love of our club.

what a great bump, a really good read.

first things first, welcome to all our oversees fans.
I never lose sight of the fact I live so close to our club, how lucky I have been over the years following the lads. when I read some of the efforts you lot put it just to grab city on tv it makes me realise we have some great fans out there. the thing is we can't help it can we lol, this club is a bloody drug. well I hope its worth it to you all, I know people who have taken holidays over here scheduled around city games (yes you David lol) sack that give me a beach or a ski slope (I lied). city just get you and long may it continue, you are all most welcome. should you visit our club if any of you need assistance or info or anything never be afraid to ask, this forum is full of blues wanting to help out.

a quick word for far away blues living in the UK . respect. how the fuck you traipse up here every fortnight is beyond me. our transport system in general is shite. as I say, respect.
Totally agree Bill

Hear hear.

The Premier League is getting too AmericaniSed and I really don't like it at all. Or should it be put that its priorities are lying with the rest of the world rather than its local fans? Not just America, but everywhere else. With mooted 11am kick offs so nobodies on the other side of the world can watch it in their prime time slots on tele, pre-season tours that don't take into account player and team preparation but instead are all about money - all that can fuck right off for me!

I think pre-season should be left to the manager to decide where we play, not the money men. In a meeting with a CEO, DoF and a manager it should go; "hello *coach's name*, what do you think the best preparation for the team should be for pre-season?" and then they follow that to the letter. I doubt managers are even involved in any of these kinds of meetings at Premier League clubs.

I hate the way the sport is going. I'm in a minority in this view, I know, but I feel like if the club could drop the "Manchester" from our club name and we're call us "Cityzens FC" while the Premier League plays all their games on a tour of the world every week because it would generate more money, they'd do it. And loads of other clubs would jump at the chance, not just City.

And with rows of seats at away games, even big away games, where not a single long standing fan is stood and there are fans with half'n'half scarves or even simply scarves of the home team attending heir first ever Premier a League game - the game is on its arse when it comes to its traditional identity.

I'm not just started to get annoyed by it, I'm starting to fucking hate it!

Not wrong there!

Its already started with clubs moving around the country like the NFL/NBA teams do in America which is shitty for the fans over there.

Ivorians think this thread is mint :)

@Timce Page 17. That is some introduction to City! Never buy clothes on your own ;)

Hear hear.

The Premier League is getting too AmericaniSed and I really don't like it at all. Or should it be put that its priorities are lying with the rest of the world rather than its local fans? Not just America, but everywhere else. With mooted 11am kick offs so nobodies on the other side of the world can watch it in their prime time slots on tele, pre-season tours that don't take into account player and team preparation but instead are all about money - all that can fuck right off for me!

I think pre-season should be left to the manager to decide where we play, not the money men. In a meeting with a CEO, DoF and a manager it should go; "hello *coach's name*, what do you think the best preparation for the team should be for pre-season?" and then they follow that to the letter. I doubt managers are even involved in any of these kinds of meetings at Premier League clubs.

I hate the way the sport is going. I'm in a minority in this view, I know, but I feel like if the club could drop the "Manchester" from our club name and we're call us "Cityzens FC" while the Premier League plays all their games on a tour of the world every week because it would generate more money, they'd do it. And loads of other clubs would jump at the chance, not just City.

And with rows of seats at away games, even big away games, where not a single long standing fan is stood and there are fans with half'n'half scarves or even simply scarves of the home team attending heir first ever Premier a League game - the game is on its arse when it comes to its traditional identity.

I'm not just started to get annoyed by it, I'm starting to fucking hate it!
For better or for worse, football at the highest level is a business. It has been for a long time. Leagues and owners have just found new/different ways to make money.

I do see the point you are making. I'm sure when automobiles started to become prevalent early in the last century many did not like them, hated them and wondered what was wrong with using a wagon/coach/buggy. Same with mobile phones. I resisted getting one for some time. When I did get one I rarely turned it on or used it. Why should I? Things change, mate. Even things we like that are perfectly good to begin with change.

I'm not certain it is just Americanisation of English football. It is more globalisation such as is taking place with so many things. I understand where you are coming from here. I'm not much of a globalist, myself.

Ever thought about turning to follow a lower league/non-league club? There are a good number around Manchester and the surrounding area. I know you are City and you can still love them and still be a fan but since you don't like the way things are headed this may be a way to get something back you feel you've lost.

I read recently a story on BBC Football about a small club in Wales that is truly a community club. The club shop is staffed by volunteers, same as the restaurant. The kitman was volunteer until the players decided to pay him a wage from their salary.

I know something smaller wouldn't be the same but it might well give you some happiness again with football. Goodness knows the club would appreciate you spending £ with them and attending matches.

Certainly hope you don't take this as malicious as no malice was meant. Take care, mate.

what a great bump, a really good read.

first things first, welcome to all our oversees fans.
I never lose sight of the fact I live so close to our club, how lucky I have been over the years following the lads. when I read some of the efforts you lot put it just to grab city on tv it makes me realise we have some great fans out there. the thing is we can't help it can we lol, this club is a bloody drug. well I hope its worth it to you all, I know people who have taken holidays over here scheduled around city games (yes you David lol) sack that give me a beach or a ski slope (I lied). city just get you and long may it continue, you are all most welcome. should you visit our club if any of you need assistance or info or anything never be afraid to ask, this forum is full of blues wanting to help out.

a quick word for far away blues living in the UK . respect. how the fuck you traipse up here every fortnight is beyond me. our transport system in general is shite. as I say, respect.

Travelling from London lot easier than from Northern Ireland all those years ago mate, Friday overnight ferry to Liverpool, train to Manchester, watch game and straight back for Saturday overnight ferry (every other week), although random kick offs and Virgin trains not done travelling fans any favours in last few years

My story started back in 2007. I am originally from Bulgaria and there the Premier League is extremelly popular of course but back then everyone was supporting the big four (Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea). I despised all of these teams and wanted to support a smaller club, a more unique club. Incidently I really love the blue color and that year Manchester City signed a great bulgarian player called Martin Petrov along with another one called Valeri Bojinov. Started watching a couple of their games more closely and was in love with the style of play. At that moment I decided I am going to be a City fan. A couple of months later the owneship changed and all of a sudden I could not believe what is happening. I experienced the entire journey with the best moment ever in 2012 against QPR. Year after year my love for City grew even more. Luckily I started living and studying in Glasgow in 2014 and have been 5 times at the Etihad since 2014, attending some great games (PSG, Barca). One of the best moments I have ever experienced. I was lucky that I started supporting City in 2007, but as I have always said I started watching them because it was a club like no other, always scrutinized by media and other fans and never giving up. CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.