Full Backs?

I think it has to do more with his abilities. I think Angelino is fine with the ball, but not the best of defenders. That plus his lack of height is a problem. I mean Clichy got out headed of the ball on numerous occasions so I think it's a problem because this is the PL and we face teams like Burnley who constantly hoof the long ball. I think it was even mentioned that Maffeo didn't play in a game cause Pep feared he wasn't tall enough.
You could be right about it being his defensive abilities and you had me thinking about the height thing but I'm not sure that's the case after looking at some of the best examples, although at first I thought the same of both our prospects; I think what we are seeing is more that they need to fill out a bit(small in frame).

According to google Angelino is 5ft9 and Maffeo is 5ft8. For a centre half that would be short but for full backs it's a little different(they need to be more mobile and attack minded in our team more than most teams as well) they are there to stop the crosses coming in, as long as they have good frame on them both can make it, Roberto Carlos was 5ft6 and is still considered among one of the best ever, Lahm is 5ft7.

Found this quite interesting, not many seem to be above 5ft10:

http://footballsgreatest.weebly.com/left-backs.html

Maybe it wont be with us but I think Angelino will find a place in a good club sooner or later(hope so anyway), his defensive game will grow as he matures mentally and physically.

Last edited:
Fullbacks heading the ball isn't really about height it's about how well they position themselves and attack the ball. 9 times out of 10 when an attacker scores a header at the far post it's because he's either completely unmarked or the fullback just fails to jump or misjudges the ball (like Clichy against Boro). It's really not a position where there are that many really high floated crosses that you really use height. Fernando being picked ahead of Maffeo against WBA was as much to do with no one else in the team having any height than needing height at RB.

Maffeo can attack a ball in the air properly so I wouldn't remotely worry about him in open play, Angelino on the other hand isn't someone you'd want defending many balls into the box.

Joao Cancelo I think would be very good option, very attacking, comfortable on the ball but apparently Barca are looking at him too though,,,
Looks the obvious Dani Alves replacement for them. Probably the best attacking right back in the world already, but seriously prone to mental errors defensively. Really good size though and has all the physical attributes to become a better defender if he had the right coaching. His dribbling is on a different level to other fullbacks though, so powerful and direct, very Bale-esque, he'd be terrifying overlapping Messi

Looks the obvious Dani Alves replacement for them. Probably the best attacking right back in the world already, but seriously prone to mental errors defensively. Really good size though and has all the physical attributes to become a better defender if he had the right coaching. His dribbling is on a different level to other fullbacks though, so powerful and direct, very Bale-esque, he'd be terrifying overlapping Messi

Joao Cancelo is really bad at defending though, and is being re-schooled to play RW for Valencia, so i don't really understand the hype about him to be honest :/

Joao Cancelo is really bad at defending though, and is being re-schooled to play RW for Valencia, so i don't really understand the hype about him to be honest :/
He's more playing RW because they are terrible going forwards and he's better than there other options, without him they'd struggle to create anything. Defensively he is currently well below average though, agreed, but you can get away with that in an attacking side like Barca if you are good enough going forwards, which he is. Dani Alves wasn't up to much defensively and Marcelo is absolutely dog shit at defending, but fullbacks who can genuinely make a difference going forwards will be forgiven for getting caught up the pitch every now and again if their team is the one doing the attacking most of the time, especially in La Liga.

Cancelo has that rare ability to pick the ball up and break through the lines with pace and power, completely destroying any defensive system the other team had planned(like Yaya in his peak for us). Very few players have that and for a fullback it's even rarer, so it's not surprising he's sought after, you don't get many difference makers at full back.If he can sort out his defending to at least get to be an average defender then he'll be a world beater.

He's more playing RW because they are terrible going forwards and he's better than there other options, without him they'd struggle to create anything. Defensively he is currently well below average though, agreed, but you can get away with that in an attacking side like Barca if you are good enough going forwards, which he is. Dani Alves wasn't up to much defensively and Marcelo is absolutely dog shit at defending, but fullbacks who can genuinely make a difference going forwards will be forgiven for getting caught up the pitch every now and again if their team is the one doing the attacking most of the time, especially in La Liga.

Cancelo has that rare ability to pick the ball up and break through the lines with pace and power, completely destroying any defensive system the other team had planned(like Yaya in his peak for us). Very few players have that and for a fullback it's even rarer, so it's not surprising he's sought after, you don't get many difference makers at full back.If he can sort out his defending to at least get to be an average defender then he'll be a world beater.

But there's a difference playing in La Liga and being an offensive fullback, and playing in Premier League in my opinion. And i lived with a diehard Valencia fan while i was staying outside of country for six months, he wasn't exactly raving over Cancelo as a fullback, because he as you said doesn't really have that big of a talent defensively.

Even if Angelino and Maffeo make the cut we're still going to need another set of full backs. We can't go into next season with a 19 year old as our only right back and the thought of having Kolarov and Angelino as our first choice left backs when they're both defensive liabilities (though the latter can still learn) worries me.

Fingers crossed both of them, and hopefully Garcia, get a run out at Celtic and they prove to be the answer.

All three should start IMO. All three are good enough to regularly start for Celtic...they certainly are good enough to play against them. I think Maffeo and Angelino are locks for next years squad, and absolutely agree we HAVE to get a new pair with some experience. I expect everyone at the club knows this though. We almost can't buy any Strikers or Attacking Mids with the kids we are going to have next year:

Aguero, Nacho, Jesus

Moreno, Sane, Sterling, Zinchenko, Roberts, Nolito, KDB, Silva

We are set at GK for another season (Gunn moving up) which leaves our target list relatively short. 1 CB, 2 FBs, 2 CMs. We are going to spend money in the Summer and possibly next month. In 12 months I think we are going to be a force and we won't worry about our Full Backs for years.

But there's a difference playing in La Liga and being an offensive fullback, and playing in Premier League in my opinion. And i lived with a diehard Valencia fan while i was staying outside of country for six months, he wasn't exactly raving over Cancelo as a fullback, because he as you said doesn't really have that big of a talent defensively.
Agreed, but that's why he's an obvious Dani Alves replacement for Barca. If he was going to play in the premier league as a RB then he'll have to improve defensively otherwise the amount you gain from his attacking would be offset by his dodgy defending.

But to be honest I rarely see our current fullbacks doing much defending or attacking, they are usually a complete non-entity against smaller teams and a liability against better ones

it's funny when someone here labeled Marcelo and Dani Alves as dog shit fullback.
don't know how to defend, only attack.
outside there, they are well known among the best fullback in the world.
sorry if I say premier league are overrated.
top team like Madrid and Barca have too much quality.
they will smash every average team in this league which is playing with boring old english tactic.
i believe in his 2nd year, Pep will learn from his experience and improve,
and show these old school teams how to play modern football.

We need as solid defence, don't know about anyone else but I always feel we are about to concede, its not like our players are not talented, there must be other factors at work, aside from tactics and formations but I'm at a loss to know what they are. Anyone???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.