Garry Cook on the Take over..

I do agree, PB, in that ge very likely would have survived the email. What sealed his fate was the ridiculous lie, the age-old "I was hacked" classic, following the emergence of the story. And he might have had a chance to even survive that, if it wasn't for the fact that he had become the story well before that, because of his repeated gaffes which, in his own words, embarrassed the club many times. This was at a time when we were working very hard to build a reputation and he was single-handedly destroying it again and again. "Thaksin is a nice guy to play golf with","There should be no promotion and relegation", "We are going to smash Man United" etc.

I had him down as a chancer the minute he opened his mouth. What came out was corporate-speak, macho bluster, cliches. I meet these people all the time and this kind of talk covers a lack of ability. You can spot credibility a mile off in senior people when they talk. Khaldoon has it and Soriano has it. Cook didn't. He was very lucky in that he was in the right place at the right time, and I'm sure he's a nice fella in real life. But the fact that nobody in football would touch him and he's ended up in wrestling tells you all you need to know.

Bringing in the likes of Aguero, Silva, Dzeko,Yaya, Nasri not bad for a chancer..

How do you know that he wasn't approached by other football clubs?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUS209931+18-Jan-2008+BW20080118?irpc=932

Bringing in the likes of Aguero, Silva, Dzeko,Yaya, Nasri not bad for a chancer..

How do you know that he wasn't approached by other football clubs?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUS209931+18-Jan-2008+BW20080118?irpc=932

PMSL. The Sheikh's wallet signed those players mate, and at the time we had a transfer panel who identified targets between them. I'm not even sure if Cook was on that panel, but if he was he wouldn't have had any significant input. He'd never worked in football before and knows very little about the game.

To credit him with those transfers is like crediting me with today being a sunny day because I opened the curtains.

But your post is a straw man and doesn't address any of the points I made about his competence.

PMSL. The Sheikh's wallet signed those players mate, and at the time we had a transfer panel who identified targets between them. I'm not even sure if Cook was on that panel, but if he was he wouldn't have had any significant input. He'd never worked in football before and knows very little about the game.

To credit him with those transfers is like crediting me with today being a sunny day because I opened the curtains.

But your post is a straw man and doesn't address any of the points I made about his competence.

Nothing to do with the vision for the club he sold them then..
You called him a chancer which i addressed? He was not..Maybe you would've been happy Marwood bringing in Owen rather than Aguero or should i say putting it to the board..

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...g-man-utd-striker-owen-england-recall-1905132

I know he wasn't on the panel when Hargreaves,Rodwell,Sinclair and Maicon were signed..

Last edited:
But the fact that nobody in football would touch him and he's ended up in wrestling tells you all you need to know.

I'm afraid that UFC fans will tell you quite angrily that what they do is most certainly NOT professional wrestling. I mean it is, essentially, but don't tell them that.

If Cook was such a clueless chancer who added nothing to the equation it would seem odd that Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour were happy to let him run the operation and by your own admission would have continued to do so if not for the clumsy attempt at lying his way out of emailgate.

With respect to transfers, identifying who to sign would have been left to others with more knowledge than Cook however it would have been Cook who led the negotiations to bring in the targets and the fact that we did land Silva, Toure et al would have been in part down to him.

Finally if and when we do land say Pogba, Sterling et al this summer I will assume you will feel it had little to do with Ferran or Txiki and that it was solely down the the Sheikh's wallet that they arrive at City. Somehow though I suspect you will be more generous with your praise.

If Cook was such a clueless chancer who added nothing to the equation it would seem odd that Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour were happy to let him run the operation and by your own admission would have continued to do so if not for the clumsy attempt at lying his way out of emailgate.

With respect to transfers, identifying who to sign would have been left to others with more knowledge than Cook however it would have been Cook who led the negotiations to bring in the targets and the fact that we did land Silva, Toure et al would have been in part down to him.

Finally if and when we do land say Pogba, Sterling et al this summer I will assume you will feel it had little to do with Ferran or Txiki and that it was solely down the the Sheikh's wallet that they arrive at City. Somehow though I suspect you will be more generous with your praise.

Couldn't have put it better myself...

PMSL!!!! What on earth are you blathering on about?

Cook got sacked after one gaffe to many. Now as CEO of an organisation not embarrassing your employers repeatedly is a pretty fundamental part of your job description. If you'd cared to read my post I made it clear that he was sacked because his lie was the latest in a long line of gaffes.Let me know if that isn't clear enough and I'll go even simpler for you: He talked crap and became a laughing stock. That's the point, not the fact that he might have given a good Powerpoint presentation. Has that registered yet?

If you think Cook did the same job as Txiki, and that City are the same club now as we were in 2009, then there's not really any point in discussing it further, to be honest.

Is there anyone out there can deal with the points raised rather than hoisting up imaginary arguments to try to deflect from the real one?

Is there anyone out there can deal with the points raised rather than hoisting up imaginary arguments to try to deflect from the real one?

The problem is the points raised are your opinion and therefore imaginary arguments.

He wasn't sacked after one gaffe too many. He was sacked after a fairly serious widely publicised lie. That alone was a sacking offence without any other matters being taken into consideration. But what we're these other, career threatening gaffes?

"Richard Dunne doesn't roll off the tongue in Beijing"? Harsh and certainly should have been more tactful but true.

Welcoming Uwe Rosler into the United Hall of fame? A slip of the tongue and the reaction of some of our small minded fans was far more embarrassing than the gaffe.

Saying AC Milan "bottled it*? They did so what's the argument?

I'll certainly agree that his handling of the Hughes sacking press conference was simply awful and I'm led to believe he ignored the script he was given with disastrous results. I'll bet he got a bollocking for that.

The remarks about Shinawatra were crass but what was he supposed to say about his new boss? Would "He's a slitty eyed crook and human rights abuser" have suited you better?

Cook came to a club that had been mismanaged for years with a CEO who was a glorified bean counter who hadn't a clue how to run a company and was clearly in breach of the corporate governance code. This CEO denied our debt was a problem, despite the fact we had to sell our best player just to survive.

He ran it more professionally than it had been run for years, set up a proper organisation structure, espoused and started to implement a wider vision. He had to face up to and save us from the very real threat of administration within weeks of his arrival and negotiate a sale, which certainly wasn't the given some think it was.

He not just talked to but genuinely listened to the fans. He raised morale among the employees after the generally loathed Mackintosh.

He moved the club forward but you and a few others seem determined to ignore all that and highlight a few public gaffes just to support your petty personal prejudices.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.