Garry Cook on the Take over..

All I'll say on this is that Khaldoon and others involved with the takeover told me in taped interviews that Garry Cook was one of the main reasons the Sheikh bought City. He was the most impressive element in the negotiations.

After the takeover Cook faced many battles and there were people out to get him because of the way he was pushing the club forward and not relying on certain individuals. I'm sure Garry will tell all one day. He did make it easy for them with his approach and errors, but City would not have developed in the way they did without him. Like Chris Bird before him, Cook is a bit of an unsung hero at a senior level within the club. Sure the club has moved on without either man, but this should never detract from what they achieved at the time.

Garry fought many battles for our club and was described as a warrior in one of the interviews I did with a very senior official. It says a lot about how Garry was viewed by our owner and supporting colleagues that he is still employed by them (in a completely different business) and that he was invited to the QPR 2012 game as a guest for the celebrations (and nerve wracking game!).

So that's settled then...
As most of us all suspected the man is a Legend and should always be remembered for what he did for our club..

Have we missed the point that Cook is still working for the Sheikh´s family in another capacity.. ?
They sorted him out a top job with UFC as they got a stake there.

BdV0BBQCcAA94rL.jpg

Gary, there is no way on Gods Earth that Garry Cook was one of the 'main reasons' The Sheikh bought City in my opinion. I know we've disagreed on it before, several times, and you've Pmed me more detail, but I cannot accept that fact for a minute.

Khaldoon has a silver tongue, and loves to talk up his staff. They might have liked his PowerPoint presentation, and they might have liked him. But that is not the same. And that was before he showed his penchant for good old City Cock Ups.

I wish him all the luck in the world doing whatever he is doing away from the goldfish bowl of football and its voracious media. But there's some rewriting of history on this thread with regards to his input into transfers and the takeover and the club's current strategy which I feel duty bound to counteract.

Imagine, rather than it being you that's just written that, that it was another poster and you're reading it. Can you now see how biased and unaccepting of basic facts it is? You've just been told, by someone with a huge amount of trust when it comes to "behind the scenes" City information, that he spoke personally to Khaldoon, and was specifically told that Garry Cook was "one of the main reasons that ADUG bought City" and that "he was the most impressive element in the negotiations", and you've chosen to ignore it and stick to your own opinion. You've downgraded the above into "he was likeable and could use powerpoint". Surely you can see that you're basically ignoring the facts of the situation (the fact Khaldoon said these things is pretty much indisputable)? You're essentially claiming to "know what Khaldoon really meant" and claiming he was just talking Cook up. For me I'd find the actual words of the someone intimately involved to be more believable than someone on the outside looking in translating them into what they think he probably meant.

Imagine, rather than it being you that's just written that, that it was another poster and you're reading it. Can you now see how biased and unaccepting of basic facts it is? You've just been told, by someone with a huge amount of trust when it comes to "behind the scenes" City information, that he spoke personally to Khaldoon, and was specifically told that Garry Cook was "one of the main reasons that ADUG bought City" and that "he was the most impressive element in the negotiations", and you've chosen to ignore it and stick to your own opinion. You've downgraded the above into "he was likeable and could use powerpoint". Surely you can see that you're basically ignoring the facts of the situation (the fact Khaldoon said these things is pretty much indisputable)? You're essentially claiming to "know what Khaldoon really meant" and claiming he was just talking Cook up. For me I'd find the actual words of the someone intimately involved to be more believable than someone on the outside looking in translating them into what they think he probably meant.

Gary and I have talked about what was said over PM on several occasions, mate. I stand my my opinion. You don't spend hundreds and hundreds of million pounds on a business because you rate one of it's senior managers, trust me. If you know anything about business you will know that is a laughable idea. They might have liked his presentation and energy, and Khaldoon might have wanted to "big him up" in an interview to motivate him, but that's not the same.

I said I wouldn't say any more, but guess I need to add...

Whenever I do an interview, research, write a book I do triangulation of sources to ensure I get the facts. I have interviewed every chairman since 1972 except Thaksin (though I did have 2 discussions with him and he also came to buy my books - paid cash!) and know when they are telling me lies, spinning the truth, exaggerating an incident, selling a story etc. If I was gullible and took everything I was told at face value then I'd have been spouting on here for the last decade that Peter Swales told me he loved City and never, ever made any money from the club; the Junior Blues was his idea; everything would have been perfect had Tommy Hutch not scored that OG; Maine Road was a much better stadium when he left than when he started etc. Khaldoon was only one voice and Garry had no idea of what our conversation was about or what was said (I still haven't told him - Garry if you're reading this let me know;-)). I also talked with figures who were in those first meetings (predating Khaldoon's official involvement). Everyone had a different view of course, but the central theme and thread was the same.

Had the new owners not been impressed with Garry they would have replaced him at the earliest opportunity, not after extending his contract a couple of times. In the end he had to go, but let's remember that the owners did change a lot of personnel between the takeover and Garry's departure, and that others brought in were moved on at times, showing that if they make a mistake they rectify it asap. The continued employment of Garry in one of Khaldoon's businesses suggests that either he is bonkers for employing someone he really does not trust, respect etc. or that he actually does trust him, respect his judgement and appreciates his skills - warts and all!

DD it's clear you've got your view and that's fine, but it is not my view or the view of those I've interviewed. If I were you and believed Cook to be so poor I'd be asking "well, if Cook was the most impressive part of MCFC at takeover time, then how bad was the rest?" Maybe, that's where the real answer lies for those critical of Cook?

The continued employment of Garry in one of Khaldoon's businesses suggests that either he is bonkers for employing someone he really does not trust, respect etc. or that he actually does trust him, respect his judgement and appreciates his skills - warts and all!

Just to clear up something here;

Khaldoon is the chairman of the Executive Affairs Authority who own Flash Entertainment who own a 10% stake in Zuffra who own UFC. Dana White owns 9% in Zuffra, the Fertitta brothers own 45% with Dana White as the Chairman and Fertitta as the CEO.

The idea that UFC "is one of his companies" is somewhat ludicrous. They are a minority shareholder in the parent company with little influence and seen more as an external investor. Whilst Khaldoon might give Gary Cook a reference, he wouldn't really have the power to place him even if he wanted to

Just to clear up something here;

Khaldoon is the chairman of the Executive Affairs Authority who own Flash Entertainment who own a 10% stake in Zuffra who own UFC. Dana White owns 9% in Zuffra, the Fertitta brothers own 45% with Dana White as the Chairman and Fertitta as the CEO.

The idea that UFC "is one of his companies" is somewhat ludicrous. They are a minority shareholder in the parent company with little influence and seen more as an external investor. Whilst Khaldoon might give Gary Cook a reference, he wouldn't really have the power to place him even if he wanted to

True, but Zuffa pointed out that the deal is more than having 10%, it's about global influence, so Zuffa & co are keen to listen and learn from Mubadala etc. As part of that I think they'd listen pretty carefully to what Mubadala said about GC - you wouldn't talk about credibility coming from the UAE and then go off and appoint someone not supported by those people (GC has since been promoted of course). White talks about the deal here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...fc-plans-to-ko-boxing/article578226/?page=all

Last edited:
Whilst Khaldoon might give Gary Cook a reference, he wouldn't really have the power to place him even if he wanted to
True, but he'd certainly have the power to tell them to steer well clear of him if he thought the man was a buffoon.

That said, I can actually understand DD's point regarding Cook being one of the main reasons for the takeover. They may well have thought very highly of him and I've no doubt he impressed them greatly (this has been borne out), but I struggle to believe that one of the main reasons they chose to invest hundreds of million pounds into City was because they liked one of our employees. If his mere presence was that influential, they could have just recruited him to head another football club. Much more important reasons were the stadium, the scope for development around the ground, the relatively cheap acquisition cost, the size of the fan base, the fact that the rags are our neighbours, and the global kudos that would be associated with turning around English football's perennial underachievers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.