Gary Neville - lest we forget..

I agree with Pablo. He doesn't say anyone is telling him what to say, he says he has a team around him to help him illustrate his points, which is true. To be fair anyone with a basic understanding of the game could look like a master tactician on screen given the facilities he has.

That doesn't follow at all. He may have an army of researchers but unless they have all got 15 years experience with top premier league clubs it is doubtful that they know what they are looking for unless he tells them. As for the tactics thing, there is all the difference in the world between on the one hand dissecting and analysing someone else's work and illustrating its genius or paucity, and on the other hand creating something yourself. The universities of the world are full of people who have studied Shakespeare, Mozart, Van Gogh for decades etc and can write learned treatises on all aspects of their work, but they couldn't produce that sort of work themselves if their lives depended on it. Neville may be a shit tactician, but he is a very good analyst.

Funny enough I spoke to Alfie coming out of training at Carrington,many moons ago,not too long after that incident,I told him Keane was a twat,he just smiled and nodded,but spoke well about other things,he did say to me as he set off though Neville was a bigger one :)

* Carlos Tevez likes this post *

That doesn't follow at all. He may have an army of researchers but unless they have all got 15 years experience with top premier league clubs it is doubtful that they know what they are looking for unless he tells them. As for the tactics thing, there is all the difference in the world between dissecting and analysing someone else's work and illustrating its genius or paucity, it is entirely another thing to come up with something novel and inventive yourself. The universities of the world are full of people who have studied Shakespeare, Mozart, Van Gogh etc and can write learned treatises on all aspects of their work, but they couldn't produce it themselves if their lives depended on it. Neville may be a shit tactician, but he is a very good analyst.

That doesn't follow at all. I've seen some excellent analysis from people who never had a professional career. I'm not saying he's poor at what he does, just that the props and gadgets and the team around him make him look better than he is. The same applies to Carragher.

His in game analysis is no better than the next pundit.

It's true. He's in the studio for about 6 hours before the cameras roll. Plenty of time for his team of researchers to put the show together.

Ok, but despite this vast team there are many others who still manage to talk the biggest load of football for idiots shit I have ever heard.
I have heard him say a lot very nice things about us on MNF, I hope that these comments were not a load of bollox.

Think it was in city till I cry, rat boys diary and how much he loved Beckham it was fucking hilarious, still got them in the loft somewhere

Neville may be a shit tactician, but he is a very good analyst.
Disagree there Chris
If Neville is uncomfortable with a formation or tactic that he never played in or was part of, (three at the back or zonal marking at corners come to mind), all he does is say "I'm not a fan of this system", or "I don't like that", that's his entire analysis. He never tells the viewers why the manager has set his team up like that or the advantages of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.