General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expect the Tories to increase their majority tonight. Corbyn may well have tried to play his cards with the big giveaway but the fact is that his figures don't add up & quite frankly the country would be broke again in no time at all if Labour got back into power.

Expect there'll be a win for the Tories but hopefully not the landslide they were expecting when they called the election. I honestly don't believe a government without a strong opposition is the best for the country. One thing that has happened during this campaign, which has taken most people (myself included) by surprise is the way the respective party leaders have performed. Corbyn, whether you agree with Labours policies or not, has had a far more successful campaign than May who has looked ill at ease under pressure. She's tried to make it a single issue election and Labour have quite effectively, and quite correctly, widened the debate which has left the Tories looking like they're devoid of any policies that are appealing to the electorate or that they're prepared to stand up and be counted on. It will be interesting to see how secure her position is tomorrow albeit Brexit is a black cloud hanging over whoever is PM and those in her own party with eyes on the leadership might consider it prudent to leave her to it.

I can't wait for this to be over. People turn into even bigger blowhards than usual online around elections.

Apparently the choice is between a Commie and a Nazi when we all know it's really a choice between one lizard person and another lizard person...

Ah shit I ran out of medicine.

As I asked a previous poster who made a similar point ( but failed to reply) which of Labour's figures specifically ( as opposed to your general comment) don't add up.
Their manifesto ( unlike the Tory's) was fully costed.

Labour's figures do add up but don't stand up to scrutiny. They amount to an academic projection of how much revenue would be raised assuming no avoidance measures were taken by any of the entities facing a higher tax burden. The reality is those facing higher taxes would be very very likely to avoid and mitigate their higher liabilities wherever possible. As you rightly say, however, Labour's spending commitments are costed, whereas the conservatives' aren't. So the choice we face today is between a party whose costings don't stand up to scrutiny, and a party whose costings are non-existent.

Heigh ho.

Not sure why you're surprised by that. Manchester has always been a Labour stronghold, and most of our users are Manchester-based. To be honest, I'm glad that, despite claims to the contrary, it's still a predominantly left wing forum. Those on the right just tend to shout louder.

Just meaning this as a bit of a joking aside - but whilst I agree about the logical leanings of the forum members, I am not really sure how you could have drawn that last conclusion based on the evidence of the referendum and election threads

Expect there'll be a win for the Tories but hopefully not the landslide they were expecting when they called the election. I honestly don't believe a government without a strong opposition is the best for the country. One thing that has happened during this campaign, which has taken most people (myself included) by surprise is the way the respective party leaders have performed. Corbyn, whether you agree with Labours policies or not, has had a far more successful campaign than May who has looked ill at ease under pressure. She's tried to make it a single issue election and Labour have quite effectively, and quite correctly, widened the debate which has left the Tories looking like they're devoid of any policies that are appealing to the electorate or that they're prepared to stand up and be counted on. It will be interesting to see how secure her position is tomorrow albeit Brexit is a black cloud hanging over whoever is PM and those in her own party with eyes on the leadership might consider it prudent to leave her to it.
My thoughts exactly... I disagree with Corbyn's entire philosophy but he has run a decent campaign... May (though I hope the govt get to finish what they started) has been very weak indeed.... I don't think she'll last...

The idea that the EU want the UK to fail here and we need some tough, strict negotiator to make sure they don't put one over on us is literal bollocks. The EU want us to stay rich so we will buy their goods and services. The Brexit negotiation will be handled by patient diplomats - neither May nor Corbyn will be anywhere near it
I hear Abbott stepped aside from the Home Sec role as she's being lined up as lead negotiator for Brexit.
Joking - Vote Labour :)

I hear Abbott stepped aside from the Home Sec role as she's being lined up as lead negotiator for Brexit.
Joking - Vote Labour :)
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.