General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And my fear is that the Tories will pander to the UKIP tendency in their party & the electorate instead of being pragmatic.
That's the best reason for voting Tory there is. I'm told it's the main reason May called the election - The bigger the majority the more she can ignore "The Bastards" as they were once called by John Major.

That's the best reason for voting Tory there is. I'm told it's the main reason May called the election - The bigger the majority the more she can ignore "The Bastards" as they were once called by John Major.

Sorry, I might not be following here.

You're saying people should vote Tories because some Tories are twats?

Wouldn't a better option be to not vote for them?

Exactly this. 100%.

This isn't a poker game, it's two economies working together to ensure they both come out of this mutually beneficially.

The UK population is economically illiterate. I was until 5 years or so back when I asked @SWP's back and some others to start me off on a reading list. Even now I've only graduated from illiterate to uneducated.

Do you know why we give out foreign aid? It's because we want poor countries to become rich liberal democracies. To do tgis they need infrastructure, citizens who can go to schools rather than starve and many other things of this nature

We don't fund them to be kind. We fund them because once they get their shit together, we now have another customer for our goods and services and more resources keeping the price of goods down. We give them money to make ourselves rich.

The idea that the EU want the UK to fail here and we need some tough, strict negotiator to make sure they don't put one over on us is literal bollocks. The EU want us to stay rich so we will buy their goods and services. The Brexit negotiation will be handled by patient diplomats - neither May nor Corbyn will be anywhere near it

Re your last sentence - I always thought it odd that May used to bang on about her needing to be strong around the negotiating table

She's the PM, she can't be in Brussels 8 hours a day for 2 years. I'm sure, as you said, diplomats and very senior civil servants will handle them. There are far too many important and complex issues to leave it up to Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn

I fully expect the Tories to increase their majority tonight. Corbyn may well have tried to play his cards with the big giveaway but the fact is that his figures don't add up & quite frankly the country would be broke again in no time at all if Labour got back into power.

I fully expect the Tories to increase their majority tonight. Corbyn may well have tried to play his cards with the big giveaway but the fact is that his figures don't add up & quite frankly the country would be broke again in no time at all if Labour got back into power.
As I asked a previous poster who made a similar point ( but failed to reply) which of Labour's figures specifically ( as opposed to your general comment) don't add up.
Their manifesto ( unlike the Tory's) was fully costed.

It's less like negotiating a new position and more like negotiating a severance agreement in my opinion. Add to the mix that you owe your boss money and, just to further complicate matters, you're starting your own company and would really like to deal with him and his customers yourself in the future. Whoever conducts the negotiations on our behalf has to realise that there's two sides involved and, if we're to move forward relatively harmoniously, then both sides need to feel they've got something out of it. Lots of people just seem to think it's an opportunity to get one over Johnny Foreigner when there's still so many positives in us having a good relationship with the EU.

You're missing the crucial fact that we're not really in a negotiation.

The Country has voted to leave.

Cards are on the table, we're all in.

EU knows this and so rightly can sit with their feet on the table and reject everything. We need to persuade them to allow us to leave in a manner which suits them. We can't waltz in and make huge demands. It's not going to happen. May is convincing people that her position will get the best deal for Britain. But what people are forgetting is positive relationships can sometimes get a better deal.

If someone tries to shaft you then you might think, well fuck you pal, you're paying full price/getting fuck all. Someone that sits down with a mentality to work out a deal that suits both parties may get much further. We need to retain a relationship with the EU. We're not leaving the wife and saying, I'm taking all my cash see you later PS I still get to see the kids when and where I want. The wife holds all the cards.

She says, you can leave but I'll tell you how...and when...and how much it will cost you. As a country we don't have a fall back position at the moment of staying in the EU if there is no deal or any substance on the table.

Brexit is either a) going to take a fucking age to ever happen or b) never happen at all.

Exactly this. 100%.

This isn't a poker game, it's two economies working together to ensure they both come out of this mutually beneficially.

The UK population is economically illiterate. I was until 5 years or so back when I asked @SWP's back and some others to start me off on a reading list. Even now I've only graduated from illiterate to uneducated.

Do you know why we give out foreign aid? It's because we want poor countries to become rich liberal democracies. To do tgis they need infrastructure, citizens who can go to schools rather than starve and many other things of this nature

We don't fund them to be kind. We fund them because once they get their shit together, we now have another customer for our goods and services and more resources keeping the price of goods down. We give them money to make ourselves rich.

The idea that the EU want the UK to fail here and we need some tough, strict negotiator to make sure they don't put one over on us is literal bollocks. The EU want us to stay rich so we will buy their goods and services. The Brexit negotiation will be handled by patient diplomats - neither May nor Corbyn will be anywhere near it

I would agree that it would be better if the negotiations could be done in a convivial manner but the EU have already made that impossible by saying that they need to 'punish' Britain for wanting to leave so that other EU member states don't think its a good idea.

@supercity there is an alternative, and that is we leave without a deal - so they can't reject everything otherwise we walk away. This is exactly the leverage that Corbyn and Farron have given away.

They are saying it would take xx years to negotiate a trade agreement outside of the EU. Why? why can't we take the same rules that we work on today as a member of the EU?

If the EU really wanted convivial negotiations they could offer the first olive branch by saying you can stay part of the free market without having to take free movement as we know that the British people voted to leave, and we know by keeping free movement you are not achieving that objective. They won't, because they're not stupid, and they want to achieve the best deal for the EU. That is why you enter negotiations.

Yet again, it's fantastist nonsense not based on the real world. There is a negotiation to be done and in order to get the best deal you need leverage. Corbyn and Farron would give that up right up front allowing the EU to do whatever they want and that would include the inability to leave as has been voted for.

I admire your optimism mate but you are a dreamer.
The EU would not want the UK to 'stay rich' by the UK continuing to enjoy comprehensive tariff free trade with the EU bloc but not meeting any of the obligations that the other EU members are required to comply with.
If the UK can 'stay rich' by a deal which satisfies both sides then EU will be happy.
However a deal will involve compromises from May which she will be unable to agree with having sold her soul to the right wing Tories,media and ex UKIP voters.

What happens if they find out someone has voted under someone else's name and address that they know? Can't see what they can do about it to correct it. Someone could do that in different areas where they know someone.

They should ask for ID.

Sorry, I might not be following here.

You're saying people should vote Tories because some Tories are twats?

Wouldn't a better option be to not vote for them?

This assumption is based on the Tories winning. A win needs to be a 50+ seat majority for her to ignore "The Bastards" and do what is necessary for the sake of the economy. The EU falls off a cliff without our cash so a deal will be possible.
Also personally as someone who could vote Labour if it wasnt led by an incompetent leader WRT defence and security then the bigger the Tory majority the better because if Corbyn gets close he will be able to stay on as leader. The sooner Dan Jarvis leads the party the better as far as I'm concerned. (He would have walked this election BTW).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.