Georgi Kinkladze

I loved Kinky...but i'm going to be slightly controversial here and say Ali B was better if we are talking about players from the dark days

Hardly "dark days." We played some of the best football I've ever seen in the promotion season under Keegan with Ali B in the side.

You genuinely have to admire the stupidity of some fans and desperation to insult a City legend.

So lets respond to the stupidest of arguments that if Kinkladze was that good he would have signed for one of the big clubs.

He left us in 1998 Ajax won the champs league in 1995 and were runners up in 1996. At the time there was hardly a bigger club out there.
We went on a trip to meet Gio when he played for Ajax .what a trip what a grest bloke

Hardly "dark days." We played some of the best football I've ever seen in the promotion season under Keegan with Ali B in the side.

Dark days indeed. That was an unbelievable season. Great player Ali but his legs were not quite up to the pace of the Prem. Would love to have seen him at his prime although his footballing brain was as sharp as ever.

We went on a trip to meet Gio when he played for Ajax .what a trip what a grest bloke

I always regret I never went over to watch him. Met him once in a pub and waited outside the ground on 'Kinkladze day' (last game 96/97 season) to beg him to stay. He looked distraught at the thought of leaving and overwhelmed by the crowds reaction to him. Will always be a legend in my eyes.

Total waster.

Had ability that only the likes of Messi and Maradona can dream of, BUT, had the heart of a mouse.

And having a best friend like Nicky Summerbee did him no favours, sniff, sniff.

Outside of Manchester City, Kinky is unheard of....very sad, but completely self inflicted.

He was a Match Of The Day player. Looked great in highlights because after doing absolutely nowt for long stretches of games, neither offensively nor defensively, he'd do a nice bit of skill that never really went anywhere but looked class on the highlights. Sometimes he'd take that a bit further and score a sublime goal once every five games so he'd look great when watching back the end of season videos. In reality though when watching him every week live at the games he wasn't a particularly good player.

After coming from absolutely nowhere and coming to us those highlights got him a contract with Ajax but they sussed him out and he barely got a game then he drifted off to absolutely nowhere again for the rest of his career after a stint at Derby.
Oh dear.......comedy is still alive and kicking- something which most of Gio's team mates at the time weren't often doing. Heart of a mouse!!! Ha ha - did you see the kickings he got every week once we left the PL yet came back for more? Sure he had some poor games, all players do, but he was a dribbling genius in a team that was largely dross and managed by Alan Ball, Phil Neal and the rest. It seems perplexing how people can't see what an exciting player he was. Oh and btw playing on left wing for Ajax is like putting Fernando there. Truth was they did not want him playing instead of Litmanen

You genuinely have to admire the stupidity of some fans and desperation to insult a City legend.

So lets respond to the stupidest of arguments that if Kinkladze was that good he would have signed for one of the big clubs.

He left us in 1998 Ajax won the champs league in 1995 and were runners up in 1996. At the time there was hardly a bigger club out there.
Not to add, the manager that was desperate to sign him, after doing so, was then sacked before Kinkladze even played a game for him.

He was then shunted out to the left wing, totally alien position to him.

Not to add, the manager that was desperate to sign him, after doing so, was then sacked before Kinkladze even played a game for him.

He was then shunted out to the left wing, totally alien position to him.

Without question he was a victim of circumstance. Sacking of the manager, Jari Litmanen issue, played out of position.

Undoubtedly he never fulfilled his potential but what a player to watch. There was no better player in the league 95/96 which is quite remarkable for a 20 year old plucked out of Georgia.

Anyway where is that video?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.