Getting a dog and picking up

Somehow my family have managed to acquire a dog, against my best wishes I should add (I was outvoted 3-1). Quick question for all you dog types out there, at what point will he stop pissing in the house and trying to destroy all my possessions? Thanks in advance.

30b1ytg.png

A large hammer.

Ha, cheers fellas. Sage advice indeed, knew I could rely on Bluemoon.
Ric, if it’s a basset/springer cross it will need plenty exercise based on the springer part. They are what you would call energetic. Given the pup looks like it has massive paws, that’s much more a basset trait so you may be lucky. If you let ziggy pee on your grass, say goodbye to your lawn forever. Think about getting a cage for the first month or so. It will stop him chewing anything through the night. It also gives them their own space. It worked brilliant for our Labs. Good luck. It will be worth the effort.

Yep will need plenty of exercise but you will love it
Spaniel is very loving dog to its owner and will probably follow you everywhere
The wee and poo in house won’t last long but don’t expect the kids to help on that front
Might seem more work at this time of year as need rinsing and drying after a walk all the time in this weather
Good luck

They can only hold themselves for 1 hour per month of age until they develop the muscles to hold it.
They will need a pee after food, sleep, playing pretty much anything and males are worse due to scent marking.
Let them out to pee after any of these things and tell it to go pee, give plenty of praise and a treat when it does as you ask.
Never bollock them after the event, dogs live in the moment - if you shout at them minutes after the event they won’t understand what you’re on about, if you see it in the act quickly pick it up and put it on the grass to pee and give it plenty of praise and use a key word like wee wee’s “good boy/girl, wee wee’s”, then a treat for being good and going wee wee’s in the garden.
Avoid puppy pads for peeing on indoors (unless you really have to use them) it’s confusing to wee on these and on the lawn, they prefer one or the other and grass is the way to go long term, you will have to train to use the pads then untrain them to go outside for the rest of their life.
Never rub their nose in it, that’s just fucking sick.
Take it for walks regularly to encourage peeing outdoors and to empty its bladder. Walkies is the key to a well behaved dog, no walkies and the dog will toilet in the house more and chew through boredom.
Chewing is due to teething, it’s impossible to prevent although you can buy a spray to put on things that tastes foul, again it will just grow out of it.
Don’t leave things lying about to chew, furniture is unavoidable.
I hope you’ve bought a breed after some research to ensure it suits you and your family’s lifestyle! If you’ve bought one because it’s cute you will probably have to live with some unexpected/unwanted breed traits.
Other than that be patient and love it every day, one day they will break your heart. Until then you will adjust and have a true companion. There’s a reason they’re man’s best friend and women have diamonds as theirs. Good luck. Woof.

Brilliant post :-)

Another thing is the spaniel breed does learn very quick as they are very keen to please you, I had an English bull terrier and it took ages to teach it things but my cockapoo was doing things/tricks within a day,

Basset 'hound'. It's the hound bit that's important - they're fucking mental and the most difficult to train.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.