Has it been a good/poor season?

Although the defeats in the FAC semi and CL quarters, to teams who are not particularly good, irks somewhat, we did at least win a trophy. I appreciate some may disagree, fair enough, but I am still of the mindset that I am grateful for us winning a trophy. Thus, I cannot say we had a poor season. I'd go with 'average but could have done better'.

Although the defeats in the FAC semi and CL quarters, to teams who are not particularly good, irks somewhat, we did at least win a trophy. I appreciate some may disagree, fair enough, but I am still of the mindset that I am grateful for us winning a trophy. Thus, I cannot say we had a poor season. I'd go with 'average but could have done better'.

Again, this. Its not altogether surprising, but how soon we forget what is was like when we were shit

25 years ago, safe by Christmas would be a huge achievement.

Now it seems 2 trophies, second in the PL and a CL Q-Final isn't enough?

I do believe there has been more than an element of skulduggery the way our season has panned out, both domestically and in the European competition. The way we have been officiated has on occasion altered the way we've had to play, and when our players know they are having to overcome the officials as well as the opposition it also affects their confidence. Conversely, it gives the opposition an element of freedom, and boosts their confidence. We've just not always had the killer instinct in front of goal this season to overcome this.

I'm obviously straying into 'is the game bent?' territory here, but when you consider the lengths the PL officials went to to ensure we didn't win our first game, robbing us of any carry over momentum form the previous season then it's hard not to think that something is going on. This season has not been a level playing field.

We can't be greedy. It wasn't too many years ago all we could hope for was a League Cup final win, put firmly in it's place when better teams played their kids against our strongest eleven and battered us. Would we ever win anything? I couldn't see it ever happening.

I remember the last few minutes of the FA Cup final against Stoke after Yaya had smashed the ball in the net, and the song '34 years, and we're still here' echoed around Wembley. We knew we wouldn't be singing it again, but in that moment, I never thought we would progress so much. We had a clean sweep of domestic trophies last season. That never entered my head on the way home on that day. I was happy we had won something tangible after all those decades of disappointment and misery.

This season, we had a trip to Wembley and won a cup. I'll never take success for granted. It's not been bad.

Overall mediocre. Pep’s 3rd worst season of his 4 here. Overthinking the formation at Lyon his biggest tournament mistake in 4 years here. Still some sensational attacking play.

Bizarre and poor. 9 defeats despite being the highest scorers and our goalkeeper winning the golden glove.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.