Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I remember the home derby, forget the exact year, when they started building the new estate on upper Lloyd St, Tommy Johnson walk, Fred Tilson close, and all the bricks were along the edge of the site on upper Lloyd St, unbelievable brick fight before and after the game everyone was getting hit, men, women, kids and coppers both sets of fans going crazy throwing full bricks at one another.
During the match there was bricks flying back and forth across the Kippax and the no man’s land which then was just the rope from top to bottom, that noise as bricks and bottles were thrown up into the metal roof trusses you never forget it if you were there in those years, and also the young female blue launching a full scalding hot bovril drink into the face of a rag as they walked up the tunnel after he’d made some comment about her. Certainly no pavement dancers back then, it happened every week every ground up and down the country, you did what you had to do.
I'll never ever forget that " rope " what they first put up to try to seperate and keep our fans off the away fans,Id' have been 8 to 10 circa 73-75 , even me as a kid thought how the fk is that gonna stop fans fighting etc

I remember the home derby, forget the exact year, when they started building the new estate on upper Lloyd St, Tommy Johnson walk, Fred Tilson close, and all the bricks were along the edge of the site on upper Lloyd St, unbelievable brick fight before and after the game everyone was getting hit, men, women, kids and coppers both sets of fans going crazy throwing full bricks at one another.
During the match there was bricks flying back and forth across the Kippax and the no man’s land which then was just the rope from top to bottom, that noise as bricks and bottles were thrown up into the metal roof trusses you never forget it if you were there in those years, and also the young female blue launching a full scalding hot bovril drink into the face of a rag as they walked up the tunnel after he’d made some comment about her. Certainly no pavement dancers back then, it happened every week every ground up and down the country, you did what you had to do.
My first game at main road was in March 77 utd walked up clearmont rd with a right mob I was 8 yrs old never forget it I thought wow in all honesty it never left me thinking I hate them even at that age but it did install a match mentality even at that age , this is main road this is city’s ground !! tribalism it stayed for years and years it’s how I thought about it in the day it was main road it had to be defended and many did …it’s how it was regardless how many say it’s pathetic.
It’s the truth it was main road and we had no belongings but m to that place .

Absolutely correct mate. Unrelated, but one of my favourite memories from an international tournament is the other year when the English “firms” got utterly, completely, and absolutely smashed to smithereens by a smaller number of proper ‘hooligans’, the Russians.
Theses gobby, cowardly, shit-house wankers got complete fucked up and slapped all the way back to “Ingerland”.

Absolutely brilliant and richly deserved.

They’ve barely made a peep ever since. I’ve never seen a single film of a “hooligan” having a fair one on one straightener. Because they’re all, to a man, exclusively cowards.

bullshit.

They were attacking predominately normal fans over there, just look at the footage of them rampaging through the city (they filmed it on go-pro ffs)

Plenty of stories of the russians getting mullered by english fans as payback

I'll never ever forget that " rope " what they first put up to try to seperate and keep our fans off the away fans,Id' have been 8 to 10 circa 73-75 , even me as a kid thought how the fk is that gonna stop fans fighting etc
I’m not sure why but we used to call it the ’dray’ rope. Whenever we played the rags there used to be two lines of ropes supposedly seperating us.
They were different times and I sometimes miss them like hell but I’m glad they’ve largely gone. Gagging for the derby though, apologies to any cherubs on here.

Absolutely correct mate. Unrelated, but one of my favourite memories from an international tournament is the other year when the English “firms” got utterly, completely, and absolutely smashed to smithereens by a smaller number of proper ‘hooligans’, the Russians.
Theses gobby, cowardly, shit-house wankers got complete fucked up and slapped all the way back to “Ingerland”.

They’ve barely made a peep ever since. I’ve never seen a single film of a “hooligan” having a fair one on one straightener. Because they’re all, to a man, exclusively cowards.

==========
Really?

Have supported City as the most important thing in my life since the mid 60s, and watched most home games and many aways until the move from Maine Rd. The move coincided with a couple of bereavements and I no longer had anyone to go to City with my support was only from my armchair. I lived in Burnley late 70s early 80s and went on the Turf many Saturdays and have many friends over there and now have a season ticket in the Longside. City will always be my first love but I love watching live footy with good friends and good beer and for that reason about to go and watch my home town Fleetwood. If City win tomorrow will be a great weekend if all three will be perfect. Hope this answers your question most of my contributions on here relate to events pre 2003.
Same here supported city all my life, generally away from home as moved to London in the 80's for work nobody else in my family did. As a kid My grand father , Uncle, Dad over the years used to take me to rovers games as that was the local team, hence why I follow 2 teams...
People have 2 kids so its possible to like 2 teams

This guy was beaten with iron bars in an unprovoked attack - far from richly deserved.

England fan attacked at Euro 2016 backs brain injury campaign - BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-61507358.amp

bullshit.

They were attacking predominately normal fans over there, just look at the footage of them rampaging through the city (they filmed it on go-pro ffs)

Plenty of stories of the russians getting mullered by english fans as payback
Yes, Wales and England fans mobbed up and gave some Russians a right hiding

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.