how good a player were/are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13905
  • Start date
I played right wing for ButtonLane Junior School, in Wythenshawe. We won the league. Billy Duffy (The Cult) was left wing. That was around 1970.

I ran and starred in a number of teams in South Manchester from age 18 to 30, with little success. I played one season for Whalley Range in the Lancs Amateur League. That was the only team I didn’t win Player of the Season with. I came second behind Ged Shiels.

My position was Centre Half. I scored the second goal in a cup final which we won 3-1. A volley from a corner.

The one I continue to brag about was a header from 45 yards out - five yards from the centre spot, in the centre circle. It was the furthest header I have ever seen, in any level of football. The ball was volleyed out from a cross. I was following up from my own half, and met it perfectly. From around 45 yards out, I headed the ball over the opponent’s crossbar. I was a bit gutted it didn’t go in, but nevertheless pleased with the distance I headed it.

That summed up my game to a degree. I won everything in the air, and was fairly decent with the ball also, albeit at amateur level.

I still play every week at age 56, and hold my own against some teenagers and twenty year olds.

I once scored an absolute belting own goal from the half way line.their goalie kicked it out of his hands and we had kept a really high line so I tried to help it back to the keeper on the volley but it went like a tracer bullet in the top corner
Played in a works team. Right wing or LB when I played. Pretty much bang average at the top of my game. Best moment was playing as a junior in a juniors v seniors game. 1-1 with all of 30 seconds to play when I skinned their LB with a deft heel flick over his head, then volleyed a pass right onto the head of our forward who burried it in the top corner for the winner. An absolute worldie. Unfortunately this was the one and only time I channeled my inner Pele. Mostly I was shite.

I played right wing for ButtonLane Junior School, in Wythenshawe. We won the league. Billy Duffy (The Cult) was left wing. That was around 1970.

I ran and starred in a number of teams in South Manchester from age 18 to 30, with little success. I played one season for Whalley Range in the Lancs Amateur League. That was the only team I didn’t win Player of the Season with. I came second behind Ged Shiels.

My position was Centre Half. I scored the second goal in a cup final which we won 3-1. A volley from a corner.

The one I continue to brag about was a header from 45 yards out - five yards from the centre spot, in the centre circle. It was the furthest header I have ever seen, in any level of football. The ball was volleyed out from a cross. I was following up from my own half, and met it perfectly. From around 45 yards out, I headed the ball over the opponent’s crossbar. I was a bit gutted it didn’t go in, but nevertheless pleased with the distance I headed it.

That summed up my game to a degree. I won everything in the air, and was fairly decent with the ball also, albeit at amateur level.

I still play every week at age 56, and hold my own against some teenagers and twenty year olds.
good on ya.

i knew billy in the 80's till he fucked off to the colonies.
we share the same birthday but he's 3 years older than me.
he's a blue.
his theatre of hate stuff was really good.

Played sunday league loved it. Our home pitch was cringle fields then hough end. Only ever sent off twice in a glittering career. Platt Lane Strollers had a decent team and could mix it aswell.

How the hell is it possible to head a ball that far lol. Gutted you didn't score that one mate!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.