how good a player were/are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13905
  • Start date
Played for 3 years at Primary school, about 15-18 lads in each year, always fancied myself as a Mike Summerbee and played in the wing.

The school always finished and I mean always third from bottom of the league, there were two teams historically we could beat.

Made my debut against local rivals a but City v rags and at halftime were losing 4-0, team talk was 'theres plenty of time to turn this round'..... lost 9-0.

My highlight though was scoring a 20 harder, right into the top corner to be the only team to beat the league champions one year, was the only goal I scored.....I am Navas.

At secondary school and beyond I played just for fun, regret it now.

Was very good from ages 11 to 23 - best player in school and played for Manchester Boys - me and Daren Campbell up front. Once scored a hatrick against Glasgow boys in Scotland. Played in good sunday league teams for 15 years and won player of the season 3 or 4 times but as I moved gracefully from 11 stone to 16 stone I changed from a pacey attacker to a fat bastad centre half. When I was put in net I knew it was time to give up. Scored 3 at 5 a side on Modnay night so still got something!

I could have been a world beater but I had the wrong kind of feet. Reserve gk at secondary school. I could have been another Trautmann, apart from having the wrong kind of hands and only being 5ft 8ins. I managed a few games with Oldham Teachers THIRDS! I remember us drawing against some team 2-2!

I am now a world class spectator. If only I had the right kind of eyes, I could watch for Brazil!

So my first game was Stretford Victoria v prestwich dynamo ... we won 26 -1 i scored 9 ... had an awesome season leading scorer player of the year... all went downhill from there... so 40 years later i hung my boots up ... played till last month .. old and creaky .. but still love the game ... coached and reffed all my step boys thru the grades .. would not give it up unless my health ... ok im done... gout its a woman

I could have been a world beater but I had the wrong kind of feet. Reserve gk at secondary school. I could have been another Trautmann, apart from having the wrong kind of hands and only being 5ft 8ins. I managed a few games with Oldham Teachers THIRDS! I remember us drawing against some team 2-2!

I am now a world class spectator. If only I had the right kind of eyes, I could watch for Brazil!

I turned out as a sub for Manchester teachers 5th team once.
Getting ready in the changing room to go out the captain of the first team came in a said they were short, co-opted me to play and stuck me up front.
I spent the first ten minutes chasing everything trying to impress and then the rest of the match trying not to throw up.

I never played again!

Last edited:
I played in the then Lancs & Cheshire Amateur League - God knows what it is now - from first, second to third XI of my club (M.E.C.)
Had one most enjoyable season way back but suffered a badly wrenched ankle playing bowls, and it had to be set in a plaster.. (I was drunk at the time). It did recover eventually but I was never quite the same again.
I remember once playing at Cheadle Heath Nomads and getting there early, so I popped into the pub opposite and had a couple of pints. How could I have played after that? Not the best pre-match preparation, but I was young and daft (as opposed to being old & daft).

I was pretty good though tackling wasn't my thing. The current non tackling era would have suited me fine.
I met a college mate who I played football with few years after leaving, when he asked me what work I was doing I told him Mike Summerbee had signed me up for Stockport County. I went on far too long with it , but he believed me so I must have been ok. I actually stopped playing at 18 before Mike had the chance to spot me and signed for LCCC as an opening bat. That's a lie too.

Was very good from ages 11 to 23 - best player in school and played for Manchester Boys - me and Daren Campbell up front. Once scored a hatrick against Glasgow boys in Scotland. Played in good sunday league teams for 15 years and won player of the season 3 or 4 times but as I moved gracefully from 11 stone to 16 stone I changed from a pacey attacker to a fat bastad centre half. When I was put in net I knew it was time to give up. Scored 3 at 5 a side on Modnay night so still got something!

Full of shit. He's three years older than you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.