Huddersfield (a) Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure I am, but this game can't be underestimated. Rotation needed, but we should be fielding as strong a team as possible. We don't want to be making the same mistake we made this time last year.
You think our lineup against Chelsea last year was a mistake, considering our circumstances?

We are not going to compromise our chances against Monaco in any way whatsoever. If a player plays Huddersfield on Saturday, he'll still have that game in his legs come Monaco. No matter whether there's rest after Monaco. That's irrelevant. Might get away with it in central defence and keeper...the more static positions. I think we might play Silva in one half and KDB in the other. But obviously we can only really do that with one or two players otherwise an injury and it backfires on us.
Trouble is, its football. Look at Barca last night. We could get turned over at Huddersfield, lose 1-3 to Monaco and any opportunity for winning anything this season has gone. On the other hand, won at Huddersfield and beat Monaco and all things are possible. Winning the Cup would still put a huge smile on my face.

When did we become a team that picked and chose what competitions it tried to win? Given the strength of team put out in previous rounds, I'm assuming Pep is looking to win the FA Cup, as he should be. There's no game for 12 days after Monaco and these players should be able to manage that schedule I would have thought.

Not much consolation having 12 days rest after the Monaco game if we screw up the Monaco game.

Not much consolation having 12 days rest after the Monaco game if we screw up the Monaco game.
Some seem to be saying that we've got to much on our plate and should blow the cup for the sake of Monaco. In which case we should have played the U-20 team at West Ham and gone out then. Monaco are away in the French league at the weekend (although, as they're not English, they are playing Friday night, to assist them for Tuesday). I imagine they will be playing a full team, as they are currently top of the division.

Trouble is, its football. Look at Barca last night. We could get turned over at Huddersfield, lose 1-3 to Monaco and any opportunity for winning anything this season has gone. On the other hand, won at Huddersfield and beat Monaco and all things are possible. Winning the Cup would still put a huge smile on my face.
Seems we're not playing football to win things anymore just get as far as possible in the Chumps league.

Could be a very tight game because I don't see City going there with a full strength team. I would prefer it if we played players who aren't playing against Monaco so that they give everything to win the game. If we play the regular starters, then there's a big danger they hold something back, and are not focused on the FA Cup game. I might be totally wrong. Guardiola might decide to play his strongest team. Try and get the game won, and then go into the Monaco game full of confidence, however I've seen lots of teams in advance of big games struggle because they lose focus.

Some seem to be saying that we've got to much on our plate and should blow the cup for the sake of Monaco. In which case we should have played the U-20 team at West Ham and gone out then. Monaco are away in the French league at the weekend (although, as they're not English, they are playing Friday night, to assist them for Tuesday). I imagine they will be playing a full team, as they are currently top of the division.
Nobody is saying that we should blow out the cup, but with players of the standard of Vinny, Otamendi, Clichy, Zabaleta, Fernando, Delph, Nolito, Iheanacho and Navas not in the strongest XI at the minute going off Monday night (all of which would stroll into Huddersfield's strongest side) we should be able to rotate any who need rest before a very physical and intense CL game midweek and still have enough in hand to beat Huddersfield.

Do we think Huddersfield might rest players? Given they're still in the mix for automatic promotion

Do we think Huddersfield might rest players? Given they're still in the mix for automatic promotion
They could do - promotion will be more important than a cup that they likely wouldn't go much further in anyway (Even if they knock us out Arsenal, Chelsea, the rags and Spurs were all kept apart in the rest of the draw). In any case Mooy has been key for them this season and can't play against his parent club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.