Iceland

March 18th. I believe the weather is cold, colder and I cannot feel my limbs cold.
should be an experience!
When it’s cold layers and thermals are the key.
Long Johns under jeans are a great way to keep legs warm.
Thermal socks will keep feet warm.
Woolly hats, gloves, scarves and don’t laugh - snoods - are great companions.
Two layers and a coat on top.
The worst thing is getting wet cos it’s really hard to get clothes - especially thick jeans - dry.
It‘s worth investing in some lightweight waterproof trousers to wear over the top of your normal trousers if it’s snowing / sleeting / raining cos they dry easily and your normal trousers will remain dry.
Snow / melting snow / ice is hard to walk in so shoes or boots with a good tread will make life easier for you.
It can get bitterly cold outside but it’s normally warm inside buildings because the vast majority are heated by Icelands natural hot water supply which is really cheap or even free to run.
Even if it’s freezing you will love the place. Just be prepared for it.

Never been , but I follow a photographer on YT called Nigel Danson. He has done a couple of trips to Iceland and the scenery he ends up in seems spectacular. If that's something of interest, perhaps check out his channel.

Just booked a few days in Reykjavik. Anyone been before and have recommendations?
Things to do in Reykjavík as follows - remember though nothing comes cheap there but if you go to a tourist information office you can find books with info and discount codes for most attractions. You might find these online as well e.g. visitorsguide.is

Whale watching - go out on a boat for the afternoon from the harbour area and look for whales - wrap up warm.

The Lava show - informative - lasts about an hour

Flyover Iceland - simulator

Hallgrinskirkja church - just like any church inside but you can pay to get in a lift which takes you to the top of the tower where you will get great views of the city.

Sun Voyager sculpture - on the front not far from the harbour - on a clear night a great place to spot the Northern Lights should they choose to make an appearance.

Perlan museum - great if you’re into history / geography. You can literally spend all day in there soaking all the info up. Included in the price are a Northern Lights show, a volcano show with footage of recent eruptions and a 360 degree outdoor viewing platform where you can see literally everything in and around the city.

Punk Museum - the clue is in the name

Plus loads of other museums and exhibition.

You can also book trips to other parts of the Island - I’d recommend doing the golden circle tour which takes 6/ 8 hours depending on what you choose to include.

Just booked a few days in Reykjavik. Anyone been before and have recommendations?
If you hit lucky, the recently erupted volcano may be going again, the magma reservoir under it is filling up again, and it's expected to erupt, but the eruption is normally along a fissure, so you get lava fountains, not ash, which are quite spectacular. Its about 20 miles SE of the capital, not far from the blue lagoon, in fact the magma reservoir is under there, but it erupts a bit further east (so far). It's erupted 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months, and they've already built roads over the lava for access to the south of the country, the lava is still steaming, even where the roads cross it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.