If the next General election is this Autumn, would you change your vote??

Normally the Queen would ask their leader if they could form a government. If they say yes then they get to present their Queen's Speech. Its probably overstating it to describe them as being installed because they would still face the hurdle of requiring their Queen's Speech to be passed.

Apparently its not completely set in tablets of stone. For example the Queen could, in theory, ask an MP who doesn't currently lead a party whether they could form a government.
https://www.instituteforgovernment....queen’s-speech-and-fixed-term-parliaments-act

As we don't have a written constitution, I think we may be in uncharted territory. If May can't get a majority, or loses a vote, she resigns as prime minister then (presumably already being sounded out) Corbyn sees if he can get enough support to avoid losing votes on stuff that the coalition of cohesion would all agree on (and the Tories would sit on their hands unless they want to precipitate a July election). He then goes to the Queen, says I think I may be able to command the confidence of the Commons, and she makes him prime minister. It's her prerogative. Then it's vote by vote. No need for a Queen's Speech - that's done at the opening of the parliamentary session and we will have had that (it was 6 months after Churchill was made PM in 1940 that we had the King's Speech to Parliament). The big vote test would be on getting rid of student fees (and the corporate tax rise to pay for it) - lose that, and autumn election is on the cards.

As we don't have a written constitution, I think we may be in uncharted territory. If May can't get a majority, or loses a vote, she resigns as prime minister then (presumably already being sounded out) Corbyn sees if he can get enough support to avoid losing votes on stuff that the coalition of cohesion would all agree on (and the Tories would sit on their hands unless they want to precipitate a July election). He then goes to the Queen, says I think I may be able to command the confidence of the Commons, and she makes him prime minister. It's her prerogative. Then it's vote by vote. No need for a Queen's Speech - that's done at the opening of the parliamentary session and we will have had that (it was 6 months after Churchill was made PM in 1940 that we had the King's Speech to Parliament). The big vote test would be on getting rid of student fees (and the corporate tax rise to pay for it) - lose that, and autumn election is on the cards.

Interesting expression. :-)

It would be a little similar to the events after the 1923 election when Baldwin, despite his Conservatives having the largest number of seats- ah, the folly of calling an unnecessary election, again- was unable to continue and Asquith's Liberals propped up MacDonald's Labour ministry. That only lasted nine months.

Quite how such a disparate 'coalition of cohesion' could be kept together today is anyone's guess, so I would be surprised if the country is not back to the polls, perhaps more than once, in the next three years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.