Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garcia has been a revelation - not sold on Gundogan's defensive ability or his engine to go box-to-box for the full 90 which is why I think he might struggle if we play a lone pivot; admittedly I haven't seen nearly of his play to be sure of this tentative reservation.

Would be interesting to see Garcia in the 6 for a full 90 though.

As for Fernandinho as an 8 - what!?! Just no. Fernandinho does not have the requisite skill set for this in a Pep system.
I see your point, but it presumes the position requires great defensive qualities. I think that is old thinking.The defensive qualities are much more required higher up the field where a turn over gives us a decided advantage with our passing and movement.

Defensively what we need is more possesion capacity, and more calm on the ball. The key is to own the possession edge at a rate that depresses the opposition. Like Pep said, "When we have the ball they can't score."

This philosophy is most apparent when Stones plays. He is no better a tackler than any other of our defenders ( perhaps even weaker than some) but the effect of his possesion abilities reduces the need to even defend dramatically.

Gundogan is a decent defender. He is no Kante or Dihno but yet a better 6 coz he will bring Pirlo like control to the position. And he is probably 10 times the defender Pirlo ever was. That's not saying much I know cause Pirlo did little tackling, but the philosophy is the same.

The key to the whole system Working depends on the pressure from the front 3. They have to be relentless. I trust Sterling, Navas and Nolito on this front, the others (Aguero, Nacho, and Sane) not so much. They don't seem to fully understand it yet.

Again, Pep needs to drill this philosophy into their heads. "We are most dangerous when the other team has the ball in their half." This is when we should be most aggressive in movement and action. Once the front 3 Start doing this as a Unit, Silva, Dihno and DeBryune will be eating teams for lunch picking up lose balls and putting the front 3 thru at ridiculous pace.

Gundogan: "I wanted to come out of my comfort zone and join a new team, with a new manager, with a new club, a new country, a new league."
Gundogan: "Everyone told me the Premier League is the hardest. So I just wanted to try because I had nothing to lose."
Gundogan: "It was the perfect time. I’m 25 and I achieved everything in Germany. It was time to go, move on and start a new adventure."
Gundogan: "Also the combination with Pep and the club – perfect for my type of football. It wasn't a difficult decision. It was quite easy."
Gundogan: "We have one philosophy. Pep’s philosophy. If we lose and someone is better we accept it. Handshake and focus on the next game."
Gundogan: "I just have really more fun than ever to be on the field, to play and enjoy this football."

More quotes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/30/ilkay-gundogan-playing-for-pep-guardiola-at-manchester-city-is-h/ …
Baller!!!

I see your point, but it presumes the position requires great defensive qualities. I think that is old thinking.The defensive qualities are much more required higher up the field where a turn over gives us a decided advantage with our passing and movement.

Defensively what we need is more possesion capacity, and more calm on the ball. The key is to own the possession edge at a rate that depresses the opposition. Like Pep said, "When we have the ball they can't score."

This philosophy is most apparent when Stones plays. He is no better a tackler than any other of our defenders ( perhaps even weaker than some) but the effect of his possesion abilities reduces the need to even defend dramatically.

Gundogan is a decent defender. He is no Kante or Dihno but yet a better 6 coz he will bring Pirlo like control to the position. And he is probably 10 times the defender Pirlo ever was. That's not saying much I know cause Pirlo did little tackling, but the philosophy is the same.

The key to the whole system Working depends on the pressure from the front 3. They have to be relentless. I trust Sterling, Navas and Nolito on this front, the others (Aguero, Nacho, and Sane) not so much. They don't seem to fully understand it yet.

Again, Pep needs to drill this philosophy into their heads. "We are most dangerous when the other team has the ball in their half." This is when we should be most aggressive in movement and action. Once the front 3 Start doing this as a Unit, Silva, Dihno and DeBryune will be eating teams for lunch picking up lose balls and putting the front 3 thru at ridiculous pace.
When we play a lone pivot under Pep,that position requires the most defensive skill of anyone on the pitch; the lone pivot is expected to win the ball back when our side is under pressure. Failing to do so, or to at least hold up play, frequently leads to goal scoring opportunities for the opposition. Once the ball is won, the pivot starts the attack, generally by making an incisive pass forward. The lone pivot is responsible for covering the entire pitch - sometimes popping up in the opposition's goal box to attack.

The lone pivot thus requires stamina to run for 90 minutes, great passing skills to start attacks, and defensive awareness to cover for the center backs when they go forward. This position must possess pace due to the heavy defensive responsibilities.

Fernandiho is almost tailor made for the lone pivot - his passing might be a bit better; other than that, he's perfect.

By way of contrast - Gundogan is slower, lacks pace, is somewhat easily beaten by savvy attackers and lacks the stamina to go full-out, box-to-box for 90 minutes. He absolutely is unsuited to play as the lone pivot; after watching his performance against Celtic, this is clear; he was rounded easily by an attacker (in the first half I believe - I forget who - but a huge defensive lapse that Fernandinho would never commit). Gundogan's passing is better than Fernandinho's - in that regard only, he'd be better.

Gundogan could easily feature as part of a dual pivot where someone else (Fernandinoh or Garcia) fulfills most of the defensive responsibility and Gundogan functions as a deep passer.

Garcia on the other hand might just well slot into the lone pivot role - I'd like to see him play there.
===
As for the "8" under Pep - this is an attacking midfielder role. Each 8 must be great on the ball, it helps a lot though isn't essential to be able to take on defenders one-on-one (Silva lacks in this department), able to play deft one-twos with our striker and other players, and able to move into open spaces (KDB lacks a bit here). Fernandinho would struggle in this role - he simply doesn't possess the deft one-two quick passing required to move set defenses out of position; I'm not sure Fernandinho's movement would be up to the task either, though I've never seen him play far forward where movement is at a premium.

Basically our 8's are must be skillful enough with the ball and attacking minded enough to function as a 9 in systems featuring that role.

Fernandinho as a 9? - surely we have better alternatives.
====
So not only is Gundogan unsuited to play a lone pivot; Fernandinho is unsuited to play one of our "8"'s.
====
As far as winning the ball back quickly and starting a counter - this is the responsibility of everyone on the pitch.

In Pep's system, the entire side maintains good zonal formation. We move far forward with our centerbacks standing on the half-line. Thus, if we lose the ball, it's far into the opposition's half. And due to our good zonal formation, we immediately have someone near the point of loss to press and others to shadow-mark possible passing options for the attacker. Frequently the ball is won back quickly.

We do not need Fernandinho playing as an 8 for this to function.

If we fail to win the ball back quickly and the opposition luckly springs into a quick counter - this is wher Fernandinho (or someone like him) must rapidly move to shut down or slow the attack. Gundogan playing there - we're going to be beaten way, way too often. Fernandinho (or maybe Garcia) - our 6 moves quickly to the danger point, presses the ball, and if the ball isn't won, at least slows the attack sufficently for the rest of the team to move into better defensive possitions.
===
Regarding the defensive qualities of the center-back position - under Pep's system the pivot is expected to provide a big buffer for each centerback - although good defensive skills are required, perhaps equally important under Pep is passing skill.

Generally, the ball is in the opposition half and the centerback is on the half line. In this situation, the centerback functions as one of our attackers - good passing skills are essential.

When the ball is lost, Pep's system is such that the ball is frequently won back without any defensive ability of our centerbacks coming into the picture.

If the ball isn't won back immediately, our pivot slows play and allows the entire team to move into better defensive posture.

It's for this reason that Kolarov and Stones are so good under Pep.

Kompany is a rarity - not only is he great on the ball - he's great on defense. It's too bad that Kompany is so often injured.
------
Citing Stones as an example of why our lone pivot doesn't need to possess great defensive skill shows a complete misunderstanding of Pep's system.

Read the articles on http://spielverlagerung.com/ to understand what's going on.

Last edited:
When we play a lone pivot under Pep,that position requires the most defensive skill of anyone on the pitch; the lone pivot is expected to win the ball back when our side is under pressure. Failing to do so, or to at least hold up play, frequently leads to goal scoring opportunities for the opposition. Once the ball is won, the pivot starts the attack, generally by making an incisive pass forward. The lone pivot is responsible for covering the entire pitch - sometimes popping up in the opposition's goal box to attack.

The lone pivot thus requires stamina to run for 90 minutes, great passing skills to start attacks, and defensive awareness to cover for the center backs when they go forward. This position must possess pace due to the heavy defensive responsibilities.

Fernandiho is almost tailor made for the lone pivot - his passing might be a bit better; other than that, he's perfect.

By way of contrast - Gundogan is slower, lacks pace, is somewhat easily beaten by savvy attackers and lacks the stamina to go full-out, box-to-box for 90 minutes. He absolutely is unsuited to play as the lone pivot; after watching his performance against Celtic, this is clear; he was rounded easily by an attacker (in the first half I believe - I forget who - but a huge defensive lapse that Fernandinho would never commit). Gundogan's passing is better than Fernandinho's - in that regard only, he'd be better.

Gundogan could easily feature as part of a dual pivot where someone else (Fernandinoh or Garcia) fulfills most of the defensive responsibility and Gundogan functions as a deep passer.

Garcia on the other hand might just well slot into the lone pivot role - I'd like to see him play there.
===
As for the "8" under Pep - this is an attacking midfielder role. Each 8 must be great on the ball, it helps a lot though isn't essential to be able to take on defenders one-on-one (Silva lacks in this department), able to play deft one-twos with our striker and other players, and able to move into open spaces (KDB lacks a bit here). Fernandinho would struggle in this role - he simply doesn't possess the deft one-two quick passing required to move set defenses out of position; I'm not sure Fernandinho's movement would be up to the task either, though I've never seen him play far forward where movement is at a premium.

Basically our 8's are must be skillful enough with the ball and attacking minded enough to function as a 9 in systems featuring that role.

Fernandinho as a 9? - surely we have better alternatives.
====
So not only is Gundogan unsuited to play a lone pivot; Fernandinho is unsuited to play one of our "8"'s.
====
As far as winning the ball back quickly and starting a counter - this is the responsibility of everyone on the pitch.

In Pep's system, the entire side maintains good zonal formation. We move far forward with our centerbacks standing on the half-line. Thus, if we lose the ball, it's far into the opposition's half. And due to our good zonal formation, we immediately have someone near the point of loss to press and others to shadow-mark possible passing options for the attacker. Frequently the ball is won back quickly.

We do not need Fernandinho playing as an 8 for this to function.

If we fail to win the ball back quickly and the opposition luckly springs into a quick counter - this is wher Fernandinho (or someone like him) must rapidly move to shut down or slow the attack. Gundogan playing there - we're going to be beaten way, way too often. Fernandinho (or maybe Garcia) - our 6 moves quickly to the danger point, presses the ball, and if the ball isn't won, at least slows the attack sufficently for the rest of the team to move into better defensive possitions.
Not to worry. It will happen soon. You'll see it then :)

It's not that complicated. Actually it's quite simple.
Have you read anything on http://spielverlagerung.com/?

I think not.

Dude!

Either you're a total fucking idiot (quite likely) or you simply have a huge difference of opinion with just about everyone who knows the first thing about football.

Me - I'm smarter than the average bear - but I'm no football genious. I read quite a lot of football tactics to figure out what's going on, on the pitch. This has lead to a greater enjoyment of the game for me.

You... you have bizzare opionions on a large swath of footballing tactics/stragies.

It's to the point where whatever you say is almost certainly wrong more than half the time.

Read up I say. At least evaluate what the knowledgeable pundits are saying - your own gut feelings about how we should play are so far off the mark that you're making a laughing stock of yourself - and, unfortunately of other Americans like me.
=============
So here's my challenge - read the articles on http://spielverlagerung.com/ and get back to me on where you think they're wrong.

And then let me know why it's a great idea to play Gundogan as our lone pivot and Fernandinho as one of our 8's. Jesus Christ this is so fucking stupid.

As an indicator of how wrong this is... it's not far worse than avocating Zaba in goal and Bravo as our striker. In fact the Zaba in goal/Bravo striker combination would likely work better.

Last edited:
Have you read anything on http://spielverlagerung.com/?

I think not.

Dude!

Either you're a total fucking idiot (quite likely) or you simply have a huge difference of opinion with just about everyone who knows the first thing about football.

Me - I'm smarter than the average bear - but I'm no football genious. I read quite a lot of football tactics to figure out what's going on, on the pitch. This has lead to a greater enjoyment of the game for me.

You... you have bizzare opionions on a large swath of footballing tactics/stragies.

It's to the point where whatever you say is almost certainly wrong more than half the time.

Read up I say. At least evaluate what the knowledgeable pundits are saying - your own gut feelings about how we should play are so far off the mark that you're making a laughing stock of yourself - and, unfortunately of other Americans like me.
=============
So here's my challenge - read the articles on http://spielverlagerung.com/ and get back to me on where you think they're wrong.

And then let me know why it's a great idea to play Gundogan as our lone pivot and Fernandinho as one of our 8's. Jesus Christ this is so fucking stupid.
You seem to have w lot of anger issues. I already explained to you why. Because he's better passing the ball and he moves to open for passes from the back better. You seem like one of those Americans who read a lot but watch too Little. Don't get so caught up in reading that you get yourself tied up in a knot.

Gundogan will be a better six because he affodss us better ball possesion at the back where we have the highest number of technically weaker players. His ability to one touch and move into the next open space is superior to Dihno's.

Today's game is a good example. Our best attacks started when we were able to turn Spurs over in their half. Just like I said earlier. Dihno is our best player at doing this.

Let's take for example Pep's last club, Bayern: The 'pivot' ( the word you like so much coz you think it makes you sound knowledgeable :p) was Alonso, a player ten Times slower than Gundogan, one of the free 8's often was Vidal, the most Dihno type player in the German league.

So, no my ideas are not idiotic or or opposed to what everyone who knows a thing about football thinks, as a matter of fact, our very own coach as implemented such many at times at his last stop.

So ease up with your insults and inferiority complex. I don't need to read your site. Noe do I need to agree with your opinion on it. Can we play with Dihno as the 6 absolutely. Do I think we'll be much better with Gundogan at 6 and Dihno at 8. Absolutely.

It's not even that complexed of an idea. Juventuss did it Barca does is, Bayern did it under Pep, Dortmund currently does it with Castro.

If you just spend more time actually watching games rather than reading, you'd see it. But perhaps you still need to read to get the basics. So don't let me stop you, keep reading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.