Ilkay Gundogan

I could see nobody playing 'upfront'.

I suppose it depends on whether Pep thinks Kelechi's goalscoring potential is essential or not.

But if you look at their cbs, Blind, if he plays, would like to get on the ball, but the other guy wants to sit there marking someone, he's a defender, end of, & his man would likely be Kelechi. But if Kelechi isn't there, what does he do ? People coming from different angles running into areas instead of being there to mark. And has he ever played in that situation ?

Interesting conundrum.
KDB and Silva released from defensive duties, being extremely difficult to pick up, making late runs into the box, would be much more challenging to United than the more traditional approach. Much more Pep like imo.

I could see nobody playing 'upfront'.

I suppose it depends on whether Pep thinks Kelechi's goalscoring potential is essential or not.

But if you look at their cbs, Blind, if he plays, would like to get on the ball, but the other guy wants to sit there marking someone, he's a defender, end of, & his man would likely be Kelechi. But if Kelechi isn't there, what does he do ? People coming from different angles running into areas instead of being there to mark. And has he ever played in that situation ?

Interesting conundrum.

Mate I agree, that's exactly what I think he'll do - play no one up front.

I was going to say he might play DeBruyne as a "False 9" but that terms seems to rile some people up, so I wrote up front instead.

I personally think putting Kelechi up there to try and compete with Bailly physically would be a mistake. The ideal scenario would be a clever, deep lying false 9 and two lightning quick wingers exploiting space behind their full backs.

It's such a shame Kompany, Gundogan and Sané haven't played yet, because with a fully fit squas tactically you'd play all 3 of them. And Bravo, which would be 4 new players which is probably too many.

I was going to say he might play DeBruyne as a "False 9" but that terms seems to rile some people up, so I wrote up front instead.

I personally think putting Kelechi up there to try and compete with Bailly physically would be a mistake. The ideal scenario would be a clever, deep lying false 9 and two lightning quick wingers exploiting space behind their full backs.

It's such a shame Kompany, Gundogan and Sané haven't played yet, because with a fully fit squas tactically you'd play all 3 of them. And Bravo, which would be 4 new players which is probably too many.
Perhaps doesn't tend to care for convention. If those 4 get it better than who is currently starting he probably throws them in.

I cant wait to see Gundogan the guy is the cream of the crop of all the players we signed this is for me the 1 I am more so looking at as he is and can be a game changer when fully fit. He will be the focal point for all of our attacks. Our modern day Xavi. Him at the base with KDB and Silva this is going to be us keeping the ball moving. The midfield will be a much better with him in the team.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you are under estimating Kelechi. He has exceptional speed, and great technique. Bailly is unproven, against Leicester who have a fast forward line he looked out of his depth and could have been sent off in that game.

I cant wait to see Gundogan the guy is the cream of the crop of all the players we signed this is for me the 1 I am more so looking at as he is and can be a game changer when fully fit. He will be the focal point for all of our attacks. Our modern day Xavi. Him at the base with KDB and Silva this is going to be us keeping the ball moving. The midfield will be a much better with him in the team.
Agree. Would love him to takeover Fernandinho in that regista role, and I'd like to see Fernandinho at rightback coming into MF when we have the ball.

Off the ball:
------------------------AGÜERO
----STERLING----SILVA------KDB-----SANÉ
----------------------GÜNDOGAN
CLICHY---------STONES----KOMPANY----FERNANDINHO
-------------------------BRAVO

On the ball:
---------------------AGÜERO
--------------------------------KDB
STERLING-------------SILVA-----------------------SANÉ
---------------CLICHY--------FERNANDINHO
----------------------GÜNDOGAN
--------STONES-----------------------KOMPANY
-------------------------BRAVO

Was watching some highlights of Ilkay last night, f*ck can he pick out a pass! Not sure how he will do with the physicality of the league, but if he can get to grips with that he's going to be the perfect player for us.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you are under estimating Kelechi. He has exceptional speed, and great technique. Bailly is unproven, against Leicester who have a fast forward line he looked out of his depth and could have been sent off in that game.

Whilst I agree with you regards Kelechi, he is top. I personally think Bailly would struggle more against the unconventional. A big strong young lad, physically capable might not be so mentally ready for fluid movement.
Running at angles would likely lead him to dive in. He's young, impetuous and rash like most young centre backs, I bet he'd much prefer a obvious rival to pick up rather than an option of 5. Blind is slow and deep lying and both their full backs are pretty unflexible and work best in straight lines.
A&E as the sitting player is much the same. Straight lines.

That back five confronted with a fluid moving front five would be too much for them in my opinion.

I don't always agree with Neville Kneville but I'd agree here, Bailly would prefer to mark a player than space.

Without Aguero I'd expect Sane or Gundogan to come in and no traditional striker played.
If Gundogan is in good shape, I fancy him for an hour. If not, then for me it's between Iheanacho or Sane then.

We may see a curve ball and Celph or Fernando in, but I doubt it.

Only Pep knows.

If you think back to when we played Bayern at home in Pelle,s first season, PEP set Bayern up with no No 9, he had six in midfield all fluid with Muller being the most attacking.
I can see him doing that again on Saturday with Silva playing the Muller role.

The question being wether he thinks Gundogan is fit enough to play where Ferd has been playing and Ferd pushing forward with the press.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.