It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we know that, then other clubs will know that too. I'm sure Pep doesn't want his signings early if it means being gouged on the price.

Several teams playing hard ball right now. Monaco, for example, are desperate to hold on to as many players from their title-winning side as possible while the vultures circle ominously. Rather than giving in to demands here, patience from City and continued pressure from the player for the move will ultimately pay off.

I do think two signings by Tuesday was always going to be a tough ask. The European transfer window isn't open yet we have two in the door already. The alacrity of those signings made many believe we'd be done and dusted within a few weeks, but Levy was never going to be as easy an individual to deal with as Vieira and, ultimately, two players from Monaco is a tall order. Most important thing is to get them in. Mendy, Bertrand, Walker, Sanchez, whoever Pep identifies as being key to his squad. Sooner would be better, but sometimes perfect is the enemy of good.

Pep won't care about the prices paid, he just wants the players in and getting coached under him ASAP.

Also the international transfer window is open. The English & French windows both opened last week, and considering our targets are Walker, Bertrand, Sanchez & Mendy, those are the only ones who matter.

I think you have the wrong impression of Monaco as well, they don't care about selling, they care about getting the most out of their players before moving them on for the highest fee. That's the business model.

Things will happen when they happen. There's lots of stuff on the other end of a transfer which we can't influence, we just have to wait for things like Spurs to know they have a Walker replacement.

Pep won't care about the prices paid, he just wants the players in and getting coached under him ASAP.

Also the international transfer window is open. The English & French windows both opened last week, and considering our targets are Walker, Bertrand, Sanchez & Mendy, those are the only ones who matter.

I meant the ability to register players, which is on July 1st.

You're right of course, but we've seen Pep back down on wanting a player before when the price got too high. He still will want his squad together asap, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean he'd be in favor of giving Monaco €50m for Mendy to hurry to the process along.

I think you have the wrong impression of Monaco as well, they don't care about selling, they care about getting the most out of their players before moving them on for the highest fee. That's the business model.

For sure that's their business model, but they've never had a season in which every single player in their starting XI was a target for one or more big clubs, and, further, they haven't been this successful since they started employing said business model.

That's why you have statements by Monaco saying they are determined to keep Mbappe at all costs. The kid could destroy the world record fee for a player and is a huge financial gamble for Monaco to take, but he's their star and figurehead. He may not make more money next year, but keeping him would represent a victory for the club and the fans even if they lost 5 other first team players.

Are they here yet??? Are they here yet??? Are they here yet???

This used to be such an enjoyable thread, now all we get is tumble weeds blowing through every now and then.

Come on City make us happy. I thought that once the roller coaster had started it would whisk us through an exhilarating ride very quickly, but no we've been left stuck looking over the big drop teasing us for as long as they can drag it out. :-(

I meant the ability to register players, which is on July 1st.

You're right of course, but we've seen Pep back down on wanting a player before when the price got too high. He still will want his squad together asap, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean he'd be in favor of giving Monaco €50m for Mendy to hurry to the process along.

Registration has nothing to do with transfers though. The window is open and has been in every country for at least a week. The fact we've already seen Ederson, Silva, Lindelof, Pickford, Klaasen etc. should be enough evidence that there's no hold up because of a registration window.

Also, who has Pep turned down because they cost too much?

Monaco will sell anyone for the right price, the "not for sale" on Mbappé is just them saying no one has offered enough yet. They've said all along if someone convinces a player to leave they won't hold them back, otherwise their whole model would collapse.

Are they here yet??? Are they here yet??? Are they here yet???

This used to be such an enjoyable thread, now all we get is tumble weeds blowing through every now and then.

Come on City make us happy. I thought that once the roller coaster had started it would whisk us through an exhilarating ride very quickly, but no we've been left stuck looking over the big drop teasing us for as long as they can drag it out. :-(

It's not even 1st July yet you Nutter

Registration has nothing to do with transfers though.

I never said it did, it was a throw-away comment illustrating how early in the summer it actually is.

Also, who has Pep turned down because they cost too much?

Reports stated last year Pep backed us down on Pogba for that reason.

Monaco will sell anyone for the right price, the "not for sale" on Mbappé is just them saying no one has offered enough yet. They've said all along if someone convinces a player to leave they won't hold them back, otherwise their whole model would collapse.

Every player has a "right price" and no player is entirely off the market.

I agree with you, if a player asks to leave then Monaco won't stand in their way. I never said we wouldn't get Benjamin Mendy, I think we will, only that Monaco are playing hard ball from a position (whether it's true or not) that they want to hold on to as many players as possible.

I never said it did, it was a throw-away comment illustrating how early in the summer it actually is.

Reports stated last year Pep backed us down on Pogba for that reason.

Every player has a "right price" and no player is entirely off the market.

I agree with you, if a player asks to leave then Monaco won't stand in their way. I never said we wouldn't get Benjamin Mendy, I think we will, only that Monaco are playing hard ball from a position (whether it's true or not) that they want to hold on to as many players as possible.

Did Pep back down on pogba, or did Txiki and Ferran? I don't think Pep cares much about our spending, he cares about getting the players he wants. He knows it's not always financially possible, but if you think Pep would rather we spend £35m on Mendy in 6 weeks or £45m on him tomorrow, I think he'd much prefer the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.