It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they plan to rotate the pair next season, just as we could here?

The wider argument for me is you are either a pivot or a defensive midfielder, you are no use to this current City team set-up taking just the responsibility of both.

"You're either a pivot or defensive midfielder"? Eh? Sorry I don't think you mean that.

Someone who is both is exactly what we need, we need a pivot with some defensive chops because we play with KDB + Silva ahead of them. We need someone who can control the game like Yaya (Fabinho didn't do this at Monaco and this is IMO the reason we've not been interested) and do the defensive work. We can't just have a defensive midfielder, we need someone who can do what Yaya did last season in possession as well.

"You're either a pivot or defensive midfielder"? Eh? Sorry I don't think you mean that.

Someone who is both is exactly what we need, we need a pivot with some defensive chops because we play with KDB + Silva ahead of them. We need someone who can control the game like Yaya (Fabinho didn't do this at Monaco and this is IMO the reason we've not been interested) and do the defensive work. We can't just have a defensive midfielder, we need someone who can do what Yaya did last season in possession as well.

a.k.a Weigl, Diawara, Busquets

This my argument though, there are very few players in the world who have the "defensive chops" coupled with the ability to set the tone from the base of the midfield.

Perhaps Gundogan of four years ago but not now. Yaya can quarter-back for fun and is the only one capable of coming and collecting, but he will never give us the legs to compensate for the holes our attacking players will gift up to the opposition.

I mean exactly what I say, the way we set up, I feel we need to drop one of the creative midfield types or too much responsibility is placed on one player being able to perform two tasks.

a.k.a Weigl, Diawara, Busquets

Exactly, and that's why IMO Fabinho doesn't make sense. He'd be a brilliant Fernandinho replacement, but Fernandinho isn't going to start, it'll probably still be Yaya and could be Gundogan if he can add the defensive side to his game.

We're in posession 60-75% of the game, and Fabinho either can't, or hasn't shown he can, move the ball like Yaya, Weigl, Busquets - even Kimmich. He doesn't have that ability to get the ball under pressure from 2 or 3 people and move it on to someone in space with the first touch, or

Correct but you won't agree until you see them holding up a City shirt snooooooze!!!!

Holiday, CFA, Video, Signs then holds up shirt ITS DONE KAREN says....

My reply is that to many talk shite & flap flap flap instead of just going about business.

I believe our deals are done & dusted & you wait for the holding up of our shirt that's fine...
I think it was perfectly reasonable for Karen to say that she only believes deals are done once they are officially announced. All this deal done shite is just that until it is announced officially, utter shite.

Totally agree. Yaya fulfills both of those duties. Not so much now as he is reaching the end of his career at the top. But when he is on fire not only can he cover the back four but he has the ability to change defence into attack with one turn or pass

This my argument though, there are very few players in the world who have the "defensive chops" coupled with the ability to set the tone from the base of the midfield.

Perhaps Gundogan of four years ago but not now.

I mean exactly what I say, the way we set up, I feel we need to drop one of the creative midfield types or too much responsibility is placed on one player being able to perform two tasks.

Ah well, in that case I think it's just a case of finding the right one.

Weigl, Diawara, Kimmich, Busquets, Jorginho, Saúl - the players are rare and expensive but they're out there, and Pep's always had them (Yaya, Busquets, Lahm, Alonso) so I just can't see him giving up on that ball playing ability for someone like Fabinho now - and given the choice between the 2, he prefers the ball player if last season is anything to go by where Fernandinho was well and truly put on the back burner for Yaya.

At times I can see us playing the 3241 and having a Fernandinho-Gundogan or Fernandinho-Yaya pair in midfield, but that sacrifices fullbacks not the 2 attacking mids.

We have the ball for 70% of the game so Pep will prioritise possession. I have high hopes for Gundogan, and if not him then I think Yaya will play most, so Fabinho wouldn't feature that much, and that's why I don't think he makes sense.

If you think Pep would go for a Fernandinho type at the base of midfield over Yaya or Gundogan, than Fabinho makes sense as a signing because he'd be an improvement, I just don't think he will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.