Jadon Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine, keep pointing the finger if you want, but it honestly won't get anywhere if we keep thinking it isn't our problem. I'm not sure Sancho expects any game time now (he's 17 btw), but I think he's worried he won't get it when he's 18/19 instead and is considering moving on now as opposed to signing a five year contract or whatever and locking himself in.
this sort of what I mean....does, eg, Sancho listen to those worries and then look for outside reassurance...or does he decide to dig deeper within himself and say to 'I WILL make it here, whatever is thrown at me.'

this sort of what I mean....does, eg, Sancho listen to those worries and then look for outside reassurance...or does he decide to dig deeper within himself and say to 'I WILL make it here, whatever is thrown at me.'

He's probably seen half of his older mates have that exact same attitude, who probs give 200% every day, but still get fuck all. It's a romantic notion. If i'm being honest, and I've been a City fan for 31 years, I'd probably be considering leaving City if I was 18 and we'd just signed all those players for the sake of my career.

Not disagreeing with anything you said but I still find Campbell's choice a bit weird. Do you honestly think that he'll get his chance this season at Stoke? I mean, their coach is Mark Hughes, who preferred Ched Evans to Daniel Sturridge. :)

Not weird at all. Already Stoke's brightest prospect. Scoring a shit load, promoted to the u23s in his first year as a scholar and Mark Hughes already saying he could have a big season. I think we could be surprised.

Couldn't really blame him for leaving if he does. Its not as if we have a track record of trusting youth.

He's probably seen half of his older mates have that exact same attitude, who probs give 200% every day, but still get fuck all. It's a romantic notion. If i'm being honest, and I've been a City fan for 31 years, I'd probably be considering leaving City if I was 18 and we'd just signed all those players for the sake of my career.
fair enough - and I don't mean to say that I am right and you are wrong. Just that, I would argue that meeting resistance can be a way to develop the inner strength needed to play at the top level. Some will meet this resistance and walk away, others will find a way through it. Where I do feel there is a debate to be had, is how to strike the balance between it being too easy (no resistance, no growth) and too hard (too much resistance, just give up). Given that there seems to be the problem of bridging the gap between academy football (easy for a talented kid) and first team football (fucking difficult even for the best of kids) the I. for one, believe that City are at least having at good go at answering this problem, through developing links with Girona and NAC Breda (plus perhaps NYCFC)...but surely even that might take some time to come to fruition?

well the likes of Sancho can't expect at 16 to get meaningful game time with us, sorry but it's just a fact. They need to get their heads out of the clouds. The lads who show a bit of maturity will go on to have the best careers.

And you need to get your head out of the clouds if you believe some of the most promising youngsters in the world are going to wait around at City to be given a go in the first team when they're 20/21 after loans at Celtic and Twente when they could be playing Premier League football for Spurs, Liverpool or United within a few years.

I also think the notions that we can't afford to give a youngster a bench spot and that giving a youngster a go for 10/15 mins is automatically detrimental to the team are bollocks. There's absolutely no evidence supporting either theory.

Giving a players whos been around the academy for ages, probs really liked by their peers, fifteen mins of fame would be exceptionally good CFA pr.

I mean didn't the club already do this with Celina, Manu Garcia, Barker maybe someone else? They all had their 10-20 minutes of play time so i don't really get the point you are making there.

but I don't think the idea of shrugging off losing our brightest prospect is anything other than incredibly alarming. It should always be.

I think it just happends you win some you lose some. Sure it's not very pleasant but he will leave City 2 years after he left Watford. These things happen, there are plenty of youngsters that did sign a contract very talented ones so i think it's hyperbole to think it's a trend when the majority stays and 2 leave. It will also remain to be seen where he goes because if he goes to Arsenal or Spurs or Chelsea there really isn't any difference in moving.

Last edited:
fair enough - and I don't mean to say that I am right and you are wrong. Just that, I would argue that meeting resistance can be a way to develop the inner strength needed to play at the top level. Some will meet this resistance and walk away, others will find a way through it. Where I do feel there is a debate to be had, is how to strike the balance between it being too easy (no resistance, no growth) and too hard (too much resistance, just give up). Given that there seems to be the problem of bridging the gap between academy football (easy for a talented kid) and first team football (fucking difficult even for the best of kids) the I. for one, believe that City are at least having at good go at answering this problem, through developing links with Girona and NAC Breda (plus perhaps NYCFC)...but surely even that might take some time to come to fruition?

What would you do?

Option A) Risk getting a bad injury whilst out on loan at some no mark at a poor level as part of your 4 year graduation to maybe, finally getting a chance at City (a team you were born miles away from and have no natural affiliation towards). And that's only if they don't splash £50m on a guy a few years older than you who plays in your position.

Option B) Move to a club of a similar calibre (Spurs, Liverpool, United, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Monaco, etc.) and reckon you'll have a decent chance in the first team and top class domestic football (and possibly Champions League) within two years?

What would you do?

Option A) Risk getting a bad injury whilst out on loan at some no mark at a poor level as part of your 4 year graduation to maybe, finally getting a chance at City (a team you were born miles away from and have no natural affiliation towards). And that's only if they don't splash £50m on a guy a few years older than you who plays in your position.

Option B) Move to a club of a similar calibre (Spurs, Liverpool, United, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Monaco, etc.) and reckon you'll have a decent chance in the first team and top class domestic football (and possibly Champions League) within two years?
Honestly? I don't believe there is one 'right' answer. Be different for each kid. I guess what I am trying to say is that I DO believe that City are trying to find a way for the best kids
to break through to the first team. Within that, there may be kids that choose to look at going to the teams you quote - some may succeed, some may fail. great. There may also be kids that use the footballing education that they have received, to make a better career in the game than they might of otherwise had. Good for them! On top of this, City may end up with a pearl or two for the first team, that we can all enjoy. What I don't quite get is people on here claiming that youth development is an exact science that they have mastered and that, according to them, City are 'doing it wrong'. If it were that easy then surely every team would be doing it and winning leagues and cups and stuff? Oh, hang on... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.