Jadon Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might sign, he might not. It's clearly a game of bluff. Pep most likely said if he's not signed he won't travel. So that's what's happened.

Regardless of Sancho, his potential motivations or whatever, NK is right - if players are considering going elsewhere given everything we've got going for us sumat isn't right and we have to address it before it becomes a trend.

Biggest worry for City is Tye Campbell imo. I've got a feeling he'll play and score a few for Stoke next year and that won't reflect well at all on City. Some of his City mates him will see that and think "fuck it" and move on. The ones a couple of years younger will know him and they'll be approaching scholarship stage a year from now and they might think twice.

If its not Campbell it could be Sancho. Anyone. We can't be high and mighty about this and label Sancho. It's on us, it really is. The likes of Sancho will have looked up to the Barkers and Celinas and chances are some of them are a tiny bit bitter about everything. Whether it's warranted or not (and in my opinion lots of it is valid) once a negative thought is planted it spreads v quickly. That's our biggest problem now.

And it stops at the first team. Only way we fix it is by being bold. A good start would be someone like Roberts (even if he's not an academy prospect) being rewarded with a squad spot and a debut for a foden or a long termer who's worked exceptionally hard in training. A Nemane or Buckley 15 mins in an easy home game. A token gesture, yes, but itd mean fucking loads to them. It really doesn't take much to reverse that negativity. We just do next to nothing.

I feel like it's a big summer in terms of giving young players opportunities.

Players have gone out on loan, done a great job and still not got any game time. Denayer was brilliant at Celtic a few years ago, didn't get a sniff here. Roberts was brilliant for Celtic last season, will he get many opportunities this season?

If younger players are looking at other young players going out on loan, doing a great job, doing all that's asked of them and more, but still not getting a chance at City - that's not good news.

He might sign, he might not. It's clearly a game of bluff. Pep most likely said if he's not signed he won't travel. So that's what's happened.

Regardless of Sancho, his potential motivations or whatever, NK is right - if players are considering going elsewhere given everything we've got going for us sumat isn't right and we have to address it before it becomes a trend.

Biggest worry for City is Tye Campbell imo. I've got a feeling he'll play and score a few for Stoke next year and that won't reflect well at all on City. Some of his City mates him will see that and think "fuck it" and move on. The ones a couple of years younger will know him and they'll be approaching scholarship stage a year from now and they might think twice.

If its not Campbell it could be Sancho. Anyone. We can't be high and mighty about this and label Sancho. It's on us, it really is. The likes of Sancho will have looked up to the Barkers and Celinas and chances are some of them are a tiny bit bitter about everything. Whether it's warranted or not (and in my opinion lots of it is valid) once a negative thought is planted it spreads v quickly. That's our biggest problem now.

And it stops at the first team. Only way we fix it is by being bold. A good start would be someone like Roberts (even if he's not an academy prospect) being rewarded with a squad spot and a debut for a foden or a long termer who's worked exceptionally hard in training. A Nemane or Buckley 15 mins in an easy home game. A token gesture, yes, but itd mean fucking loads to them. It really doesn't take much to reverse that negativity. We just do next to nothing.

well the likes of Sancho can't expect at 16 to get meaningful game time with us, sorry but it's just a fact. They need to get their heads out of the clouds. The lads who show a bit of maturity will go on to have the best careers.

then fuck em - they will have had a first class footballing and academic education...if they want everything handed to them on a plate then perhaps they don't have the mental strength and willpower to succeed at City? As a counterpoint, I would also not blame any kid for moving on and doing what they think is best for their careers. Just I - perhaps not rightly - would prefer to bring through kids that have developed 'spirit' rather than rely on a sense of entitlement. But each to their own.

Not disagreeing with anything you said but I still find Campbell's choice a bit weird. Do you honestly think that he'll get his chance this season at Stoke? I mean, their coach is Mark Hughes, who preferred Ched Evans to Daniel Sturridge. :)

f players are considering going elsewhere given everything we've got going for us sumat isn't right and we have to address it before it becomes a trend.

This comment is very hyperbole you have toptalents at every academy that leave for one reason or another it's nothing new and it will always happen.

Players like Sancho who are barely 17 shouldn't get ahead of themselves thinking they deserve first team minutes.

A Nemane or Buckley 15 mins in an easy home game.

Like Brahim got last year? and Foden on the bench in the CL you mean those kind of things? Nemane and Buckley aren't good enough and you know that, there are no easy wins in the PL so you can't risk a bench spot by taking a player like Nemane or Buckley who clearly isn't good enough. For that reason i like the thing the Dutch have going with i think a bench of 12 or 14 players so that you can bring youth players with and if the occasion arrises they can play.

well the likes of Sancho can't expect at 16 to get meaningful game time with us, sorry but it's just a fact. They need to get their heads out of the clouds. The lads who show a bit of maturity will go on to have the best careers.

That's fine, keep pointing the finger if you want, but it honestly won't get anywhere if we keep thinking it isn't our problem. I'm not sure Sancho expects any game time now (he's 17 btw), but I think he's worried he won't get it when he's 18/19 instead and is considering moving on now as opposed to signing a five year contract or whatever and locking himself in.

That's fine, keep pointing the finger if you want, but it honestly won't get anywhere if we keep thinking it isn't our problem. I'm not sure Sancho expects any game time now (he's 17 btw), but I think he's worried he won't get it when he's 18/19 instead and is considering moving on now as opposed to signing a five year contract or whatever and locking himself in.

he has to earn it, if he doesn't he'll still have a nice career. Foolish to give up the opportunity.

Not disagreeing with anything you said but I still find Campbell's choice a bit weird. Do you honestly think that he'll get his chance this season at Stoke? I mean, their coach is Mark Hughes, who preferred Ched Evans to Daniel Sturridge. :)
He's already scored in a pre season friendly for them a week ago. They dont have a good striker atm so might be given a chance.

This comment is very hyperbole you have toptalents at every academy that leave for one reason or another it's nothing new and it will always happen.

Players like Sancho who are barely 17 shouldn't get ahead of themselves thinking they deserve first team minutes.

Like Brahim got last year? and Foden on the bench in the CL you mean those kind of things? Nemane and Buckley aren't good enough and you know that, there are no easy wins in the PL so you can't risk a bench spot by taking a player like Nemane or Buckley who clearly isn't good enough. For that reason i like the thing the Dutch have going with i think a bench of 12 or 14 players so that you can bring youth players with and if the occasion arrises they can play.

It's not hyperbole at all. I honestly think player development in the PL is actually reaching a critically poor point where youngsters are starting to become a lot more savvy and see that clubs like Chelsea and City are just farming them out on loan and selling them. It's become a really visible talking point with more and more respected people within the game discussing it. There's been a notable amount of English kids leaving big clubs this summer to play abroad, more than can I remember. It's a good sign for english youngsters, but it's potentially the start of a trend that could unsettle the bigger clubs. It's the first signs of a potential problem. It's only the tip of the iceberg if you ask me given the money being thrown around at the moment.

I don't think Nemane or Buckley are good enough, no, but you know the point im making. Sometimes a small statement goes a long way. And yes, you can 'risk' a spot for one player in one game if you want to. That's a load of bollocks that we've been sold. A team like City shouldn't need seven world class subs to beat a bottom of the table team at the Eithad. Including a reserve for a potential 15 minute cameo shouldn't equal defeat. That's just a weird way of looking at it. Giving a players whos been around the academy for ages, probs really liked by their peers, fifteen mins of fame would be exceptionally good CFA pr. As it is I bet some feel that if they've not had their chance at 18 then they're as good as gone and they're in limbo. It'd send a message that you could still turn heads at 20 adn dont have to be the next 17 year old wonderkid. We wouldn't actually need to do this anyway of course if we just used the ones every now and then that were actually deserving of it...

The Brahim thing was nice, but you have to build on it. Foden didn't get off the bench so in the end it meant nothing. Nice gesture though. It was all looking rosy round then actually before it reverted to type as the season caved in. I don't blame Pep, honestly, as It hink he wanted to do more...but we can't always wait for the perfect moment to come round cos it simply never will. Football is never cosy and comfortable. Fortune favours the bold and all that.

We could go 'losing academy players is part of being a big club', yes, but I don't think the idea of shrugging off losing our brightest prospect is anything other than incredibly alarming. It should always be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.