Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a little nosy at the threads on Fernandinho when we signed him. Fair few people suggested that his fee was outrageous, that he was a jack of all trades but a master of none, and that his lack of Brazilian caps at his age proved he wasn't really a top player. A lot of very underwhelmed posters. Similar to a lot of the negativity in this thread.

I'm not saying that Phillips will turn out to be half as good as Ferna, but it is interesting how people are oddly obsessed with what they see as a value for a player. Ultimately a player is either a success or a failure, it's binary. There isn't a 'fee' at which a player is less of a failure nor a 'fee' at which a player becomes more of a success.
Fernandinho has played in a very good side alongside Douglas Costa, Mhkitaryan, Alex Teixiera, and many very good players in that time. He was a true engine of that Shakhtar team. Kalvin Phillips has played a little in the last season and he is nowhere near as good as Dinho in that time. Just check Phillips's stats.

The people who complain about the fees we pay are dismissive of two things:

a) We bought Bernardo, Ferran and Gundo for the price of Pogba. We then sold Ferran for £45m and bought Haaland and Alvarez for just £20m more - we have made some incredibly astute deals but they are rarely discussed.
b) We are investing large sums to build our business. The worldwide profile of the sports side of the club is reflected in the enormous growth of the business, becoming one of the world's largest sports operations, and one of the fastest-growing of the last decade. Investing in the sporting aspect delivers enhanced share value and, consequently, enhanced investor income, sponsorship and consequential club value.

We have had a decade of unbroken sporting success because of the investment in players and infrastructure. Our profile is that of one of the world's biggest teams and was nothing, relatively speaking, only ten years ago.
I don't know why we often make comparisons to United which has been terribly managed for years. Chelsea paid 40m€ for N'Golo Kante and Liverpool paid 45m€ for Fabinho. Both helped their teams to win the Champions League. If we are going to spend 50M£, let's spend it on just a better player than Kalvin Phillips. It's simple as that. No club apart from us would spend 50M£ on him, maybe United or Aston Villa, just to show the world that they can do it. IMO we could scout better. Cucurella would be a great move, but Phillips, sorry, I can't see that. It's not complaining, but I would love from City more surprising moves and more scrutiny in that terms than spending 50M£ on just a decent, squad player who has shown in the league since 2020 that he is nowhere near our quality. Are we going to copy Southgate boring football or what? ;) Guardiola wants him probably because he has played under Bielsa like Laporte or Mendy.

Last edited:
Feels a bit like another player at the Ake level. We need and should be pushing for better.

Please make some suggestions.

I strongly feel that people underestimate the PL. The days of overseas players arriving and quickly dominating are long gone, it's by far the toughest league.

Ndombele was rated as a top player.
Keita was going to be a game changer.
City wanted Fred.

They've all achieved sweet fa.

Phillips would settle in immediately, be a stable long term backup and is a very good player. The Ake of DM. Nobody in world football is dislodging Rodri so this is exactly what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.