I am a shade over 6ft and weigh about 65kg, so weight loss isn’t an aim of mine.

I am experimenting with the diet to see if my energy levels and attention span will improve.

And yes, such a carbohydrate restriction is somewhat of a deterrent.
Simply satiate yourself with proteins & fats instead.

The carbs simply satisfy your need for sugars. If you can switch your body’s sugar supply to your fat stores, not only is it healthier, but the side benefits are increased vigilance & attention span and energy levels!

A twofer!

sounds confusing.
Why not just make sure you are in a calorie deficit each day?

It’s not as confusing as it sounds but it does take a few days to get your head around it. You are always in a calorie deficit (assuming weight loss is your aim) it just switches the macros around - a low carb day without a workout is (currently) 60g net and a high carb day is (currently) 120g or so. Protein is fairly static and it generally switches your calories between carbs and fats. Usually expect a low carb day 4 out of 7 days a week so it’s not so hard to plan once you’ve done the first couple of weeks. Each week it re-accesses what a low carb day should look like for you, the individual, based on how well you burnt carbs the previous week.

What I like about it is it’s based on the individual and how their body is reacting to everything you put in (food) and everything you take out (burning calories) but definitely won’t be for everyone. How do we know your body will burn x amount of calories for example? We don’t, but based on the average height/age/weight we can take an pretty good educated guess. But if that educated guess is over by 100 calories a day for you, you’ll obviously then appear to find weight loss that but harder - which may cause disillusionment and folk giving up. I do think some time in the future diets will become entirely individualised, rather than one size fits all - we are all unique after all - now this device is a long long way from that but it’s perhaps at the very start of that journey.

Because your body will respond by dropping your metabolism to meet that new lower caloric intake. It’s the body’s starvation protection mechanism.
You know starvation mode is nonsense right? That's why you see the appeal videos from Africa of very skinny kids and people with anorexia.

You know starvation mode is nonsense right? That's why you see the appeal videos from Africa of very skinny kids and people with anorexia.
That’s not what he means mate, it IS a ‘mechanism’ the body uses, and different to what we would legitimately refer to as ‘starvation mode’ (almost nobody in this country will suffer from that).
What we need to remember is our body is an incredible survival entity , it has a homeostasis with many things, one being a level of fat it is comfortable with, glycogen levels another, it likes knowing it has lots of energy reserves, and is not in peril, as soon as it notices changes in that, it will kick certain mechanisms into play, one of them being to slow down your metabolic rate to try and reserve energy, another is to signal to the brain you’re low on glycogen (which it relies on when it comes to your fight/flight/freeze/fawn response) do a proper HIIT session, which saps your glycogen like nothing else, and see the cravings you get for carbs, it’s your body’s way of getting you to replenish something it relies on for survival ASAP.

I decided I wanted to lose weight at the start of the year , I followed a very complex diet and routine of eating less calories and walking a bit more , worked a treat , I’m thinking of making it into video and book

I decided I wanted to lose weight at the start of the year , I followed a very complex diet and routine of eating less calories and walking a bit more , worked a treat , I’m thinking of making it into video and book

A perfect starter plan if your diet isn’t brilliant, you live a fairly sedentary life style and you have no autoimmune conditions, which does apply to a lot of people so it could be a best seller.

Going to try this tomorrow see how get on could do with shifting some weight any tips

Depends how much you want to lose mate. Others will probably have their own suggestions but for me;

Maybe start by just looking at your current diet and see what you eat that’s bollocks. I started by cutting out chocolate biscuits and snacks like that during the day, and reduced by beer intake just skip that last pint sort of thing. No other changes and lost a stone pretty easy and wasn’t what you’d call fat to start with.

If you’ve done that and start to plateau and want to lose more then increasing exercise and/or reducing carbs is a good thing. Your body burns carbs and fats for fuel - if you have too many carbs you don’t burn fat and you don’t lose weight. It’s pretty simple really but a low carb diet is quite hard to stick to although there are a lot of low carb firms now so choices are increasing and getting low carb bread and pasta is easy, if expensive. I even had some low carb hot cross buns recently - delicious they were.

Good luck mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.