Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was great yesterday and even when he's been below par he's still been providing quality chances. Heard on motd yesterday was his 5th goal of the season? Frankly that's pathetic for a player of his quality
Pep has been playing him too deep,further foward is where he should be,he has overtaken messi for number of assists since 2015

The difference between KdB having a poor scoring season or an incredible season seems to be the width of the woodwork. He's hit the bar or post 9 times this season. Like an alcoholic he's always hitting the bar.

Very good today and miles better but I still don't think he's fully on it.

I don't say that as a Kevin hater so please don't misunderstand me, there were times last season where I thought only Messi and Ronaldo were above him. A very very talented player.

Don't think his current position is suiting him at all.

the problem is, pep doesn't utilize the position and (positioning as a team) he is best at. He's a class talent so Pep can certainly get alot out of him but not his absolute peak.

It's interesting, when I was actually at the game I didn't particularly notice how good he was. It was only when I watched it back that I realised what an impact he was having on the game. I think I just expect a stellar level from him in a way that I don't necessarily from any of our other players, and if he falls below it it looks like a meh game to me.
Of all our recent signings, the most plausible for a future Ballon d'Or, I believe.

the problem is, pep doesn't utilize the position and (positioning as a team) he is best at. He's a class talent so Pep can certainly get alot out of him but not his absolute peak.

Sorry but I think that's completely untrue. His performances at the beginning of the season in the "free 8" role as he called it were the best he had in a city shirt. The first 6 or 7 games of the season he got 2 goals and 6 assists and just ran the show completely.

And it's not just about the statistics either, you could see he was incredible, floating around wherever there was a weakness to be exploited, popping up next to the wingers to deliver fantastic crosses, driving through the middle in counter attacks, pressing and winning the ball back, and popping up in the box to score goals too.

Anyone blaming Guardiola's use of De Bruyne in that position as the reason he's not been at his best has an awful memory.

Last edited:
Anyone blaming Guardiola's use of De Bruyne in that position as the reason he's not been at his best has an awful memory.
Those who claim that KdB fits No8 position have even more serious problems with memory. As less than 2 months have passed since the games with high-pressing teams like Monaco and Arsenal were played.

Those who claim that KdB fits No8 position have even more serious problems with memory. As less than 2 months have passed since the games with high-pressing teams like Monaco and Arsenal were played.

....Arsenal high pressing??? haha ok then. The Arsenal we played in the last month didn't press at all, they did the exact opposite.

But then again, you think KDB plays as an 8, which he clearly doesn't, as explained by both Pep and De Bruyne.

How about that game against a genuinely smart pressing team in Barcelona? Or the game when we beat Monaco convincingly, when they were also high pressing? Or the OT derby when United came flying out of the blocks trying to press, and KDB was MOTM in that role?

The Monaco game is a bad example. Everybody shat the bed - Silva couldn't even make a simple pass.

The Monaco game is a bad example. Everybody shat the bed - Silva couldn't even make a simple pass.
Probably, but one can find numerous examples from other games when our mids were tightly marked. I've questioned KdB's suitability as No8 at the start of the season, and his performances hasn't convinced me since then. I think if we'll eventually get high-level player of Silva's or Gundogan's type with enough press-resistance ability, KdB will be moved further upfield, probably as RM/RCM. Couple him with a marauding fullback like Walker, and it will hide Kev's lack of speed and technique. Kev's right-footed crosses are imperious, and when our team loses the ball he can move centrally to press and prepare for counters.
Pep is already trying such formation (Southampton and Arsenal before Silva's injury) at the expense of benching Sterling. The reason why he couldn't do it earlier is, IMO, the absence of suitable RB before Navas' convertion and shortage of creative CMs after Gundogan's injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.