Khaldoon: "I Really Care" (About The Fans)

I posted this elsewhere some while back, but it's relevant here too, so I'll cut and paste:

Manchester City Annual report 2015-16

Revenue £391.8m comprising:
£178m commercial
£161m broadcast
£53m matchday

Matchday revenue is only 13.5% of our overall revenue.

If we prioritised a full house and charged less for tickets - especially for kids and families - say our matchday revenue declined by 10%, that's a £5m hit on £391m - hardly anything at all.

Is it conceivable we'd grow the £178m + £161m = £339m by more than £5m due to better atmosphere, results and marketing potential? It would be like falling off a log. Doing this is a total no brainer.

The other side of this coin is, how will we continue to attact top, highest paying sponsors when our matches have a shit atmosphere and a half empty ground?

Heck, we'd probably make more money if all tickets were free.
They will make less money off me this season.
I've renewed again but no cup schemes or European ones.
No platinum.
And when I'm in the ground I won't be buying anything.
So that 20 increase has cost them quite a bit

Some tripe written on this thread. The mythical drop the prices and the lapsed hordes that packed in will come back. They ain't coming back. Any drop in prices will simply mean the tourists and new fans that took their place will get cheaper tickets.

But its simply astonishing that the angry mob are still blubbing over a £1 a game increase whilst City are spending £200m

I would be very concerned if I was a senior executive of the Premier League.

When I returned to Manchester in 1990 the majority of fans were my age, give or take. Sadly, they still are despite me being nearly 30 years older. Granted, I stood on the Kippax and now sit in the east stand.

Football used to be a young man's (far more than women) game and presumably had a huge churn as older guys stopped and were replaced by youngsters. I don't know how many 20-35 year olds go now but I'm certain it's far fewer than 30 years ago. The cost is prohibitive unless you're addicted and used to the incremental increases like we are. I believe the ageing demographic is a major reason the atmosphere is subdued.

If I was on charge of city I'd be looking at how we attract and retain that age profile.

Some tripe written on this thread. The mythical drop the prices and the lapsed hordes that packed in will come back. They ain't coming back. Any drop in prices will simply mean the tourists and new fans that took their place will get cheaper tickets.

But its simply astonishing that the angry mob are still blubbing over a £1 a game increase whilst City are spending £200m
Spot on ! We are still the best value for money in the premier league and should be grateful the club are pulling out all the stops to get the best players in Europe for us to watch. These are one in a million owners who have transformed the landscape of East Manchester provided jobs and a football accademy for all the community to enjoy, we are very lucky people

Not really.

Everybody will always be grateful for what Sheikh Mansour has done for the club. That has been posted over and over again. And will always be.

There are many reasons.

8 season ticket price rises in the last 9 seasons isn't good. Last seasons season ticket price freeze was only brought about by the CL PSG ticket price rise backlash.
My season ticket was originally £450. Now it's £665. That's nearly a £25 rise per season for that last 9 seasons, give or take.
Next season some season ticket prices have been kept the same(£299), while other season ticket prices have gone up. What's the logic in that? Divide and conquer? City either freeze the ticket prices for everyone, or they increase the season ticket prices for everyone. Don't starting dividing the fans.
Fans have once again been moved to make way for another executive development. The tunnel club. £15K? That's hot on the heels of the Family stand and level 2 corporate moves.
On top of that tiered block pricing was introduced. A difference in 1 row could set you back £200+ compared to the row in-front. Why? Another way to drive revenue.
The growing distance between the people running the club and the fans. It wasn't like this when we move to the Etihad. And when Sheikh Mansour first bought the club. But it has slowly but surely crept in. Why? That's coming from the people running the club. As a club we've never been like that. And we certainly weren't when Gary Cook was in-charge.
Wasting £10's millions/£100's millions on players like Bony, Mangala, etc, while trying to claw back £500K/£750K in a pointless season ticket price rise.
I could tell you something you wouldn't believe when it comes to wasting money at City. But I'd get somebody into trouble.
No wonder the matchday running costs at the club need to be covered by season ticket price rises. Apparently?
The list goes on.

The fact that Khaldoon has touched on this matter during his end of season interview, and now the email survey, etc, points to the club finally taking notice of the current and on-going discontent amongst the fans and finally acting on it. And I guess the alarm bells began ringing with the amount of empty seats this season, season tickets not being renewed, cup schemes, and platinum being dropped en-masse, etc. City fans and football fans in general will only take so much. Then they will react with their wallets. That £1 price rise this season has probably cost City £5.(making that figure up) That's not driving and making matchday revenue, that's losing matchday revenue.

Last edited:
A family friend is a Liverpool SeasonCard holder and his SC price has been the same for six years running now

This year's £20 price rise for everyone gives the club an extra £~800k. What's the point? We could have offered £42.7m instead of £43.5m for Bernardo Silva. £20 is nothing, £1.05 extra per match, but it's not about that

WHOOSH!!

I was only stringing him along, but your arguments are thread bare and frayed around the edges.

But at the end of the day we're all blues here - cut from the same cloth so to speak...

cook was ok but lets not forget the family stand lower tier disaster was his baby
Still he was trying something for the ordinary fans . Now instead of family stands and singing sections (wasn't that one of idea too ?) We have Joe's bar & 93:20 sections with loads of empty seat .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.