Kids’ football issue - advice needed

Mark Hughes is available......

This is where the club need to step in to avoid a witch hunt or splitting the club in two. Rather than have parents chatting behind others backs etc, get the parents and the coach and club officials together for a constructive meeting. The last thing anyone needs is a coach leaving mid-season, what if the club can't get one, well then the parents have no team for their kids to play in. The coach has held his hands up, it's not as if he is stubbornly refusing to admit he made an error of judgement. The parents need to accept that and work together with the coach to get the 'whole team' working as a unit in support of their kids enjoying themselves playing football. Ask the mother if a member of her family is willing to run the team - when she gives you a ''what the fuck, hell no'' response, there is her answer..... if she won't do it herself, let the one bloke there who loves doing it for fuck all other than enjoyment do it.
We’re planning to go for a talk with all involved tomorrow night at their training. I think the situation will be a bit clearer then.

Some great advice here as I knew there would be.

The coach has acknowledged his mistake but there’s a feeling amongst a few parents that he has broken trust.

A few want him replacing and others say let him learn. What would people advise about the coach rather than the parent or child now?
It's a tough gig being a coach of a youth football team, it's a thankless task and one that not many are prepared or able to take on
When I coached both my lads teams if this kind of incident had occurred there would be no way any parents would be making decisions on a coach, this is why Junior Football Clubs have committies to make these decisions based on the facts and without prejudice and 9 times out of 10 the coach would be backed before any parent, he or she may be warned and advised on how to deal with this in the future and to take on board what he may have done wrong and could have done better

If We had situations where parents made things difficult or were not respecting the clubs code of conduct they wiuld be asked to leave and take there child with them, it may seem harsh but it keeps people in line and prevents constant parent interference as the majority of problems in Junior Football stem from parents attitudes

It's a tough gig being a coach of a youth football team, it's a thankless task and one that not many are prepared or able to take on
When I coached both my lads teams if this kind of incident had occurred there would be no way any parents would be making decisions on a coach, this is why Junior Football Clubs have committies to make these decisions based on the facts and without prejudice and 9 times out of 10 the coach would be backed before any parent, he or she may be warned and advised on how to deal with this in the future and to take on board what he may have done wrong and could have done better

If We had situations where parents made things difficult or were not respecting the clubs code of conduct they wiuld be asked to leave and take there child with them, it may seem harsh but it keeps people in line and prevents constant parent interference as the majority of problems in Junior Football stem from parents attitudes
If there is a parent with a little too much to say on how the club should be run, we would always respond with an explanation of why something was dealt with that way and would always finish off with something along the lines of "The club is always looking for enthusiastic unpaid volunteers to help with its running. If you believe you have something to offer in this respect and will commit your time in helping, our door is always open"

The coach has acknowledged his mistake but there’s a feeling amongst a few parents that he has broken trust.

A few want him replacing and others say let him learn. What would people advise about the coach rather than the parent or child now?

You’re right Dickie. We learned on level 1 that giving kids a lift is dodgy unless asked.

The thing that makes me a bit iffy about the coach is a minor thing but just got me thinking he was too cock sure since day 1.

His step lad plays in my team. He joined at the same time as the coach took over the younger team. We play in a Wednesday night 5 a-side league at a venue called Soccer Sensations. The Dad asked me could I try to arrange my fixture times so they didn’t clash with his teams so he could watch both. I didn’t see it as a problem so said i’d ask Soccer Sensations if they could give me a set kick off time. He replied saying he’d already asked them on my behalf.

Like I say, not a big thing but just got my goat. He seems to think he has the authority to make decisions for people regardless of advice or set ways.

One coach is threatening to quit if this bloke is allowed to continue.

I mentioned someone giving him a lift as maybe the parent is struggling to get him there on time due to work or other issues, not sure how close the kids and parents are but all my lot would be sharing cars, usually only had 3 or 4 parents there with 12 kids or more, used to feel like i was babysitting on occasions.

As for the coach himself, i know you've said he's a little cocksure of himself, i'm guessing he's reasonably young himself then, maybe he just needs time to develop like the kids do, i'd personally cut him some slack unless something else happens.

I mentioned someone giving him a lift as maybe the parent is struggling to get him there on time due to work or other issues, not sure how close the kids and parents are but all my lot would be sharing cars, usually only had 3 or 4 parents there with 12 kids or more, used to feel like i was babysitting on occasions.

As for the coach himself, i know you've said he's a little cocksure of himself, i'm guessing he's reasonably young himself then, maybe he just needs time to develop like the kids do, i'd personally cut him some slack unless something else happens.

The lift thing is something that has to be arranged independently by parents. The club cannot be involved with that at all
If the club arranges Mr Smith to give Freddie a lift with his own children and he's involved in an accident, the club is liable for arranging the transport
If Freddie alledges Mr Smith touched him inappropriately, again the club is liable

Have you tried setting him on fire?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.