Last whites of the east end

'Divide, Rule, Conquer' - the Tories tried this in the Mayoral election and it failed dismally. London elected a Muslim, son of a Pakistani bus-driver. I don't think his religion mattered to the vast majority of people voting. I would hope that the rest of the country is sufficiently enlightened that they are capable of seeing beyond someone's religion and voting for who they believe in. Priti Patel (I am guessing she is of Indian descent and therefore probably Hindu rather than Muslim) was elected in a very white constituency. Its a real shame that so much debate in Britain is reduced to people's race or EU immigration.

As a general point we seem to use 'Asians' as a very generic term. In my area of north London there are hundreds of thousands of 'Asians' that are well-off, live in good housing, are integrated into UK culture but retain their own identity, they speak perfect English as well as whatever their own language is. They, however, are of Indian descent and have been in the UK longer and have had time to become educated and allowed to prosper here. Likewise in parts of NW London (say Kingsbury or Wembley) or the whole borough of Brent there are larger more established Asian muslim communities and they also thrive. There's another large muslim community in London that also integrates but retains its own identity, as per wiki there are 350,000 Turks in London. Its too simplistic to talk about 'Asians' or 'muslims'.

It seems to me that the better educated immigrants are, the more opportunities they have to work and earn money, the more likely they are to become integrated. Migrants from Pakistan and Bangladesh as well as Africa are more likely to come from a poor and backward community. People from East London have always moved outwards when they have had the opportunity, the gaps are bound to be filled with recent migrants to the city, and always have done.
I'm fully aware that when I said Asian, I'm being very broad in using the term as it could mean anybody from a Thai person to an Afghan, and of course religion has nothing to do with Race, unless you make it related.

End of the day we're all immigrants and times change. Everything changes.

Example being the old timer blokes from the east end making comments about Pubs closing down and how Muslims don't drink...

Well for a start he hasn't been on a piss up then with some Muslim lads I know, they can drink... And many of my white friends who I grew up with hate going in pubs, their parents went in pubs so they hung around at skate parks smoking weed.[/QUOTE]

Nuance? Careful - you'll baffle the likes of Worsley with nuance. They think it's another word for paedophile.

The right-wing NEEDS to have everything explained to them in black and white. They just don't understand shades of grey.

He'll probably bring you up on smoking weed, as he won't be able to attack your argument otherwise.

EDIT

Oh, he did. What a surprise.

I'm fully aware that when I said Asian, I'm being very broad in using the term as it could mean anybody from a Thai person to an Afghan, and of course religion has nothing to do with Race, unless you make it related.

End of the day we're all immigrants and times change. Everything changes.

Example being the old timer blokes from the east end making comments about Pubs closing down and how Muslims don't drink...

Well for a start he hasn't been on a piss up then with some Muslim lads I know, they can drink... And many of my white friends who I grew up with hate going in pubs, their parents went in pubs so they hung around at skate parks smoking weed.

Nuance? Careful - you'll baffle the likes of Worsley with nuance. They think it's another word for paedophile.

The right-wing NEEDS to have everything explained to them in black and white. They just don't understand shades of grey.

He'll probably bring you up on smoking weed, as he won't be able to attack your argument otherwise.

EDIT

Oh, he did. What a surprise.[/QUOTE]

No it was the skater park bit that got me more.

Up to last year I spent three years living in an area of Cardiff which was 70% Muslim (Somali/Asian). It didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all but it certainly didn't "enrich" or any simialr word thrown about by luvvies in the media. I just got on with my life and they got on with theirs. There was no mixing between the races though that I saw but I guess it's just natural for people to want to spend time with people of a shared culture. When walking back from the boozer (full of white people) i'd pass shisha cafes full of Muslim men and then Eastern Europeans drinking on the street.

Don't let any politician tell you that people are feeling like aliens in their own communities but on the other side don't let any politician tell you that your community is better off being "multicultural".

Whether you like it or not this country needs high levels of immigration for the foreseeable future. Birth rates struggle to keep up with death rates over the whole population and I suspect the gap is even wider among the white British population. Without sizeable immigration Britain will become a country with a huge imbalance of over 65s with all the dire economic and social consequences that would entail.

Debatable argument.

But presuming it to hold sufficient water, can we have less of the third world immigration please?

Immigration from regions that are broadly culturally similar and won't bring the issues with integration/assimilation would be most welcome.

That isn't politically correct though, and means actively discriminating against people who wish to migrate here, so instead we'll just bash all immigration with broad strokes and be as vague and non discriminatory as possible. All the while there develops a growing chasm in the country around race and religion, and we grow closer and closer to serious social unrest.

Trevor Phillips nailed it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ing-to-catastrophe-over-race-trevor-phillips/

I'm all for freedom of speech but... Daily Mail readers should come with a bloody warning!

It's ok to be worried about the loss of true English culture they wouldn't call that racist anywhere else because it's not! Diversity is good but when you get whole towns(unless it's just one on it's own thats sanctioned like a China Town etc) taken over by one set of people especially by a none native speaking one that makes zero effort to learn our culture or value it then that's not what it is at all. In other places in the world this is a strict requirement(they simply wouldn't tolerate half the stuff we do), we seem to have too many wussies that want to pipe up and call people racists because they are miserable and hiding behind their PC badge makes them feel powerful to their peers. The fact is this is happening in lots of places in the country and it's ok to be saddened by it, how to deal with it or stopping it happen is another matter.
I believe you will find this ghettoisation is mirrored in other cities and countries; France and Belgium, for example. A Swedish guy was telling me this week that it's even going on there. When the phenomenon is fuelled by something both as binding and toxic as a religion, and propelled by frightening numbers, it's a recipe for problems.

I was amazed the BBC broadcast the programme. It was a long way off the usual message.

It's a shame they didn't show the other side of the coin, asking the old Essex community what they think about being swamped by loudmouth, racist Cockneys.

You make some valid points. However, the point of the programme was to portray a very real issue, not to ask viewers to like all the protagonists.

Luckily, most of our politicians don't live in such areas (or in Rayleigh or Hornchurch which receives the displaced cockneys) so it doesn't matter to them.

Last edited:
You make some valid points. However, the point of the programme was to portray a very real issue, not to ask viewers to like all the protagonists.

Luckily, most of our politicians don't live in such areas (or in Rayleigh or Hornchurch which receives the displaced cockneys) so it doesn't matter to them.
He was pointing out a very real problem, I know plenty of lovely Welsh speaking villages being ruined by loud mouthed English coming in and buying places up and not assimilating at all happens in Spain as well . It's been happening in the Celtic
Fringes for years and was it not the main raisom d'etre for Irish republicanism.

It is very interesting to see a people whose whole wealth and whole nation was built on sending their culture out to the world and forcing language, laws, education and religion on to people suddenly crying foul when a little bit of their own medicine comes back!

I mean the English wouldn't dream of going to another country, foisting English on them, exporting Christianity, pushing our laws down etc would we?

Imagine the native Americans, aboriginals , Inuits , Maori etc got to repatriate the tena of millions of people who stole their countries back to the UK - that would be mass migration .....

He was pointing out a very real problem, I know plenty of lovely Welsh speaking villages being ruined by loud mouthed English coming in and buying places up and not assimilating at all happens in Spain as well . It's been happening in the Celtic
Fringes for years and was it not the main raisom d'etre for Irish republicanism.

It is very interesting to see a people whose whole wealth and whole nation was built on sending their culture out to the world and forcing language, laws, education and religion on to people suddenly crying foul when a little bit of their own medicine comes back!

I mean the English wouldn't dream of going to another country, foisting English on them, exporting Christianity, pushing our laws down etc would we?

Imagine the native Americans, aboriginals , Inuits , Maori etc got to repatriate the tena of millions of people who stole their countries back to the UK - that would be mass migration .....
So let's crucify Italians, gas Germans, cut the balls off Ethopians and torture the Spanish while we are at it, eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.