Leonardo Bonucci

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good shout but there will be some moaning we should sell Manga to reap some of the £42m back, which will always go against him, that's the problem with these fees it's so much harder for fans, press and haters alike to show patience when it's required. It was the same with Sterling and I saw it coming before we signed(well it was more of a concern than a prediction), I've never been one to get on Sterling's back despite that though and I think he'll do well under Pep.

He won't, and neither will Mangala, although like every player in the squad I would expect them to improve to some degree with Pep in charge. However, neither is comfortable enough in possession on anything like a consistent enough basis to cut it under a manager who values control of the ball above all else.....IMO

Bonnucci is the one transfer I want to happen, he would be the one that would galvanise the whole squad

He won't, and neither will Mangala, although like every player in the squad I would expect them to improve to some degree with Pep in charge. However, neither is comfortable enough in possession on anything like a consistent enough basis to cut it under a manager who values control of the ball above all else.....IMO
Manga is the second coming of Lescott I`m afraid.Looks so uncomfortable on the ball and I cannot see much hope for him under Pep.

I can't agree with you on Sterling, you only need to look his breakthrough season with Liverpool to discount most of that. Comfortable on the ball, head up while dribbling, confidence to take shots on with conviction and finesse... I saw all of those things just not consistently. At City we didn't see that enough at all never mind consistently but he most certainly does have all of the things his doubters says he's somehow never shown. It's not a sure thing but I'm pretty confident under Pep he will have quite a few doubters admitting(happily) they were wrong to write him off.

I hope there's something Pep can do with Manga but you might be right about that one.

We're off topic again anyway but it's hard not to draw comparisons with all the potential outgoings and incomings we have.

Last edited:

Correct. When we were pursuing Mangala, we considered, but ultimately overlooked Benatia who ended up at Bayern. That, despite Benatia leaving Bayern last week for Juve after the Bayern feeling he underperformed, was a mistake by the City board. We should have taken Benatia instead of Mangala.

Just like now, where we are misguidedly going for Stones over players like Koulibaly and Manolas.

Squad limits have to mean we will have to shift out at least one CB. Especially if Deneyar is to have a space. Mangala is a goner if we get Stones. Wouldn't be more than a little surprised if Kompany was moved on. Not happy but not too surprised. Would like Bonnuci as well.

Seen it too often over the last few years. All this excitement when Savic came in, than Nastasic, than Mangala, than Otamendi ... now Bonucci?
All 4 were decent to very good defenders before they came to us, or with Savic became very good after leaving us.

I don't care in he is 29 (as a CB we can easily get 4-5 years out of him unless he replicates Kompany), or he will cost a fortune (it's a crazy market anyway, it's more about getting the ones you want). BUT ... Bonucci does only know how to play in a Juventus and Italy team with the back line far more deeper than we or Pep wants to play. Maybe, just maybe we are great in buying the wrong kind of defenders. Or maybe we finally have a manager who does recognize the kind of CB's we need, either buy one, create one from what you have, or work with the CBs and turn them in to the defender that suits the team.

Correct. When we were pursuing Mangala, we considered, but ultimately overlooked Benatia who ended up at Bayern. That, despite Benatia leaving Bayern last week for Juve after the Bayern feeling he underperformed, was a mistake by the City board. We should have taken Benatia instead of Mangala.

Just like now, where we are misguidedly going for Stones over players like Koulibaly and Manolas.

I've said this for a while but Koulibaly and Stones should be the targets. The former was ridiculously good last year. He's basically a Manala who can defend and pass.

Pep wants Stones.

I don't know why anyone is questioning his judgement of players.

Seen it too often over the last few years. All this excitement when Savic came in, than Nastasic, than Mangala, than Otamendi ... now Bonucci?
All 4 were decent to very good defenders before they came to us, or with Savic became very good after leaving us.

I don't care in he is 29 (as a CB we can easily get 4-5 years out of him unless he replicates Kompany), or he will cost a fortune (it's a crazy market anyway, it's more about getting the ones you want). BUT ... Bonucci does only know how to play in a Juventus and Italy team with the back line far more deeper than we or Pep wants to play. Maybe, just maybe we are great in buying the wrong kind of defenders. Or maybe we finally have a manager who does recognize the kind of CB's we need, either buy one, create one from what you have, or work with the CBs and turn them in to the defender that suits the team.

Good point about Bonucci's experience: we have no idea how easily he would adapt to Pep's game and English football / life. We presumably would not pursue him though if Pep and Co didn't think he had the requisite tools but our track record on assessing CB's has not been great; although it has not previously involved Pep.

I'd be happy to see us take a risk on Bonucci, even at big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.