Let's learn about obscure teams!

my word, my dad's gonna love me for this, i give you :

Prestatyn Town F.C.

despite being a blue for the about 50 years, my old man has a serious passion for his now local team. he is a manc through and through but moved to prestatyn 15 years ago. their ground, Bastion Road is round the corner from their house so it takes him about 3/4 minutes to get there.

23vcpkw.jpg

he's followed them all over wales and travels hours and hours to obscure places like Haverfordwest and Aberystwyth (although it could be an elaborate ruse to escape from my mam for a day).

2vxr5uf.jpg

Up until the 2007–08 season, the club played its football in the Cymru Alliance, North Wales' feeder league to the Welsh Premier League. However, after running away with the league title in 2007–08, the club was promoted to the Welsh Premier League for the 2008–09 season. Their promotion was dependent on their ground, Bastion Road, meeting certain criteria, however, which meant that stadium upgrades had to be in place by 1 May 2008.[1] Despite objections from local residents, the club was granted planning permission to install floodlights at Bastion Road on 23 April 2008,[2] and their promotion to the Welsh Premier League was ratified on 15 May. The club maintained Premier League status for a second season with a 15th-place finish in 2008–09.

^^^this is taken from wikipedia, my old man was involved in the upgrade of the ground. a few members of the club were working all summer to get bastion road ready for the welsh premier league.

i asked him once what the main differences were that softened the blow of not going to city week in week out (he still goes when he can). he told me that he enjoyed the fact that after watching the striker have a nightmare match on a saturday, he could tell him how shite he was when said striker delivered my dad's post on a monday morning.

forza the seasiders!!

oh by the way, i should also add that the seats in the main stand at bastion road were taken directly from maine road. after maine road closed, prestatyn town sorted it with city to take some seats. there are clippings of this in the club bar, where you'll often find my dad supping bitter like someone's going to take it off him.

My adopted town of Vadsø has Norild as its football team. Founded 17 March 1935 (Norwegian teams like to specify the actual date), they now play on the astroturf ground behind the swimming pool. Don't think they've ever been higher than the second division. Local lads, Sigurd Rushfeldt and Morten Gamst Pedersen, were blooded here. Sorry no pics, but I'm sh*te at things like that. Oh, and they play in the unfortunate combination of red and white.

Keith football club won 5 - 3 today.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.keithfc.co.uk/official/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.keithfc.co.uk/official/index.php</a>

Keith F.C. are a senior football club who currently play in the Highland League in Scotland.

They were founded in 1919 and play at Kynoch Park which is at the east end of the town..

Keith are the football team of Keith in Banffshire, north-east Scotland. They have sometimes been victims of their own success, losing their better members to more major teams.

They are now sponsored by Apex Tubulars who have also provided sponsorship for Aberdeen in the past.

Although the town of Keith is relatively small, Keith F.C. have produced a few notable players such as Scotland captain Colin Hendry and Hamish French as well as having celebrity fans such as James Naughtie.

Due to them being a senior team they can play in the Scottish Cup.

Sky Sports' Gilette Soccer Saturday Presenter, Jeff Stelling often refers to Keith as being one single person. Common phrases include "Keith's playing himself off the park today", when they are winning in their match, or "Poor Keith, playing all by himself", if they are losing.

The team are perhaps best known to many followers of higher division football, for their 1996 10–1 defeat to Rangers.

On December 28, 2009 : Darren Still, midfielder and captain was promoted to manager. His assistants are both former Keith players, Steve King and Kenny MacKenzie.

My favorite Mexican team, Club Atlas: Despite their colors, they are very City-like!

Club Social y Deportivo Atlas de Guadalajara is a Mexican professional football club. Atlas is one of three teams that play in Guadalajara, Jalisco, along with Chivas and Estudiantes Tecos in the Primera División de México. The club's home stadium is Estadio Jalisco in Guadalajara.

History

Club Atlas was founded in a café of Guadalajara, Mexico, where a few friends recalled their football experience at English college squads where they had spent the last few years. Alfonso and Juan José "Lico" Cortina, Pedro "Perico" and Carlos Fernández del Valle, the three Orendain brothers and Federico Collignon (who had studied in Berlin) finally decided in the summer of 1916, to set up a football team called "Club Atlas" and founded it in Tlaquepaque, outside the city of Guadalajara.

The technical ability that the "Atlistas" employed - triangular passing and skillful dribbling to avoid opponents' tackles - were impressive that they were seen as better than local squads. Atlas and Chivas have also been rivals because they are the oldest of all Mexican teams in their division, they are both known for their elicit histories, and because they play in the same city; the games they play against one another are known as the 'Clásico Tapatío'.

Youth

Atlas has the best youth academies in Mexico. In the last decade Atlas has developed and let many young players play more than any other team in Mexico. Many young players go in Atlas youth academy knowing that they'll have a strong possibility to play with the first team. Although Atlas has only won the league championship once, their academy has been famous for developing national idols who have played with the Mexico national football team in the past decade like Jared Borgetti, Daniel Osorno, José de Jesús Corona, Pável Pardo, Oswaldo Sánchez, Rafael Márquez, Juan Carlos Medina, Jorge Hernández, Mario Méndez, Miguel Zepeda, Jose Vaquero Lopez, Juan Pablo Rodriguez, Juan Pablo Garcia, Hugo Ayala, Jorge Torres Nilo, Edgar Ivan Pacheco, Andrés Guardado,and many more. As of 2007, most teams in Mexico's Primera División have at least one player who started their career in Club Atlas.

Club Atlas had a golden age in the year 1998 with promising players such as Rafael Márquez, Daniel Osorno, Juan Pablo Rodriguez, Mario Méndez, Omar Briceño, and Miguel Zepeda. They lost the final to Toluca and next season became dominant 1st place overall but never claimed a title. Today many of the once young jewels of the team are on elite squads and play important roles.

Fans

Atlas fans are collectively called La Fiel (the faithful) by themselves, but better known to the rest of the population as "Barra 51" ; La Barra 51 is the main organized supporter group. La Barra 51's name recalls Atlas' last and only championship in the Primera División de México in 1951. Through the team's struggling performance La Fiel has earned its name, supporting the team for 60 years without any major silverware.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/shepsheddynamo

This is my second team, who I've followed since the days they were known as Shepshed Charterhouse. The current side were founded in 1994 following the demise of the old Charterhouse/Albion club. They are currently second bottom of the EvoStik Division 1 (South) and play at the delightfully named Dovecote, in the not so delightfully named Butthole Lane. Shepshed is a small town in Leicestershire near to Loughborough next to Junction 23 of the M1. Unfortunately most of the fans have rag sympathies. In case you wonder why I support them, I just liked the name Shepshed Charterhouse, and was disappointed when I found out the name came from a Cash and Carry owned by the former chairman. He pulled out in 1991, and the club reverted to it's original name of Shepshed Albion which it was called from 1889 to 1975. The current Dynamo club was set up with assistance from local rivals Loughborough Dynamo, hence the name. Loughborough took their name from Moscow Dynamo who toured Britain in the 1950's. They play in black and white stripes, the current kit being the same Adidas design as that used by Stoke and Hull

Well this is my local: -

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/fulwoodamateurs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/fulwoodamateurs/</a>

I've only been very occasionally,

Probably their greatest claim to fame is that they share the same facilities as Preston Grasshoppers - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pgrfc.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pgrfc.co.uk/</a> ...

Grasshoppers have quite a well known hall of fame

Will Greenwood world cup winner and City Fan
Wade Dooley
Stephen Borthwick
Paul Grayson

EDIT: Also Iain Balshaw, Pat and Alex Sanderson.

Stuttgarter Kickers
150px-Stuttgarter_Kickers.png

Stuttgarter Kickers is a German association football club that plays in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, founded on 21 September 1899 as FC Stuttgarter Cickers. Its members made a deliberate and emphatic choice early on to play football exclusively and to turn their backs on rugby – their chosen sport's close cousin – at a time when both of these new English games were still evolving.

Kit

stuttgarter-kickers-uhlsport-stuttgarter-kickers-home-03-04.jpg

Stadium

Waldaustadion Degerloch
800px-Waldaustadion_Degerloch.jpg

History

In its early years the club had a decent local squad that played in the Südkreis-Liga, Kreisliga Württemberg and then in the Bezirksliga Württemberg. With the reorganization of German football during the Third Reich in 1933, the team – now known as SV Stuttgarter Kickers – found itself in the Gauliga Württemberg, one of sixteen top tier regional leagues established in the country during that time. It continued to have good results locally, but was unable to impress beyond its own area. In the final year of World War II the Kickers fielded a combined wartime squad with Sportfreunde Stuttgart.
After the war the club resumed play in the Oberliga Süd and performed as a mid-table team early on. By 1950 it had slipped to the lower half of the table with a seemingly solid grip on 14th place, constantly struggling to avoid relegation throughout the decade. Kickers spent the early 60's in tier II football, but after the formation of the Bundesliga, Germany's new professional league, in 1963, the club was moved to the Regionalliga Süd. In 1974 that league went professional and became the 2.Bundesliga. Between 1963 and the late 1980s the team had varying results, but finally stabilized in the upper half of the standings toward the end of that period. It has one losing appearance to its credit in the German Cup in 1987 and in 1988–89 it made it to the Bundesliga for the first time. It ended a run of 28 years as a second division outfit. The team was immediately relegated after a 17th place finish, but continued to deliver some of its best performances. Die Blauen advanced to the semi-finals of the 2000 German Cup and then had a second turn in the Bundesliga in 1991–92, but with the same result as its earlier time up. Over the next decade the club played largely in the second division, before slipping to the Regionalliga Süd (III) in 2001, where they remained until 2008, when a tenth place finish narrowly qualified them for the new 3rd Liga. They finished last (20th) in the 3rd Liga and were relegated to the Regionalliga Süd, where they finished in the Season 2009/10 with a 9th place..
The Stuttgarter Kickers also have handball, athletics, table tennis, cheerleading, and Lacrosse departments. The association is also recognized for its training of football referees and other game officials. They had a hockey department too, which in 1957 got independent under the name of HTC Stuttgarter Kickers.

The supporters

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4pUmuRqAw&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmh8xxCZnCI&feature=related[/youtube]

BRITISH POLICE - THE FIRST ISRAELI LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

The Israeli football league was founded in the 1931-32 season and the teams comprised of Jewish and Arab clubs, together with various teams from the British Mandate powers.

One of these teams was made-up of serving police officers and they became the first Israeli League Champions.

This would be the only time a British team won the Israeli League championship, as the other 9 seasons before Independence in 1948 were all won by clubs from Tel Aviv, although the British Police did also win the Israeli FA Cup in 1931-32 beating Hapoel Haifa in the Final.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/WorldLeaguesIsrael.html

another generation said:
My adopted town of Vadsø has Norild as its football team. Founded 17 March 1935 (Norwegian teams like to specify the actual date), they now play on the astroturf ground behind the swimming pool. Don't think they've ever been higher than the second division. Local lads, Sigurd Rushfeldt and Morten Gamst Pedersen, were blooded here. Sorry no pics, but I'm sh*te at things like that. Oh, and they play in the unfortunate combination of red and white.

Hey Listen mate, city won the ecwc in red and black.

Nothing inherently wrong with any colour in the visual spectrum. Sorry about Morten being a comedian ;)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8p_CRR3Bk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8p_CRR3Bk</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.