Lucas Paquetá

Why offer 85million when there is no other club interested ?

I know he has a release clause, but so did Yerri Mina ( Barca tied him to 100 Million release clause & then sold him for 20 million to Everton )
I think West Ham would be happy to keep him unlike Mina at Barca.

Why offer 85million when there is no other club interested ?

I know he has a release clause, but so did Yerri Mina ( Barca tied him to 100 Million release clause & then sold him for 20 million to Everton )
Why buy him at all. If he comes to City it will be another Phillips scale mistake along with Nunes. Why are we going for these type of players. Give the academy a chance or buy the real quality like Museala , Wirtz, Gavi, etc. we are the best team in the world and have the funds to get the level of quality to keep us there

While there may be reticence about Paqueta in terms of price, aptitude, and on-field temperament, I think that deep down there is also a degree of reticence amongst us because we know that we simply have to get it right this time. The past two summers’ attempts to find midfield cover for Rodri have been unsatisfactory, put mildly, and our form without him has exposed just how dependent we are on his presence. Another botched deal and we continue to jeopardise the length of Rodri’s career. Paqueta is physically very strong and a big unit- he would be second in that regard only to Rodri- yet I cannot see him playing in the middle of the pitch on his own, so there would have to be someone alongside him. That’s where this summer’s business becomes trickier. Neither Nunes nor Kovacic give me the impression that they would be compatible, and there is nobody in the academy primed to step up, so it’s probably either Guimaraes or Neves. What with the football summer and ongoing investigation, it’s going to be a difficult job moving players out to bring others in, so even if we do land Paqueta, we might still not have all the right pieces on the board by August.

Last edited:
I think there is no doubt Pep will improve him. He doesn't need loads. At the moment the Hammers sit back and he has to track, without the ball for long periods. I imagine he will be a different animal, with having the ball more and more options to use it.

Why buy him at all. If he comes to City it will be another Phillips scale mistake along with Nunes. Why are we going for these type of players. Give the academy a chance or buy the real quality like Museala , Wirtz, Gavi, etc. we are the best team in the world and have the funds to get the level of quality to keep us there
Those players wouldn't be happy to ride bench for KDb, Foden and Rodri. And let's be honest most academy midfielders start on the wing for us or end up getting sold.

While there may be reticence about Paqueta in terms of price, aptitude, and on-field temperament, I think that deep down there is also a degree of reticence amongst us because we know that we simply have to get it right this time. The past two summers’ attempts to find midfield cover for Rodri have been unsatisfactory, put mildly, and our form without him has exposed just how dependent we are on his presence. Another botched deal and we continue to jeopardise the length of Rodri’s career. Paqueta is physically very strong and a big unit- he would be second in that regard only to Rodri- yet I cannot see him playing in the middle of the pitch on his own, so there would have to be someone alongside him. That’s where this summer’s business becomes trickier. Neither Nunes nor Kovacic give me the impression that they would be compatible, and there is nobody in the academy primed to step up, so it’s probably either Guimaraes or Neves. What with the football summer and ongoing investigation, it’s going to be a difficult job moving players out to bring others in, so even if we do land Paqueta, we might still not have all the right pieces on the board by August.
What we need is someone who can play both as a 6 and as an 8, because it’s pretty useless to us to spend wages, transfer fee and a squad place on someone that can ONLY play when Rodri doesn’t. They need to be able to play slightly further forward too so that they get plenty of minutes WITH Rodri and can also cover him when he’s not there. So we need Paqueta (to replace Bernardo, sadly) and as you say, a Bruno G or Neves. What we DON’T need to prioritise is a Wirtz or a Musiala. We literally have Foden and KDB. This is a great blend with Foden taking over the baton going into next season and beyond, with KDB’s minutes reducing. We should buy a right winger so that Foden doesn’t need to play there so much (and also to cover the fact that Bernardo plays there a fair bit and is likely leaving), then forget signing Wirtz/Musiala this window at least, and buy a 6/8 hybrid plus Paqueta. Then also be alert to any market opportunities for a long term Walker replacement. Job done.

Personally I don’t see the hate about getting this guy. I’d be delighted if we signed him
Scrolled back a little through the thread.
Didn't see any hate for the player. Just reading quotes from some posters who dont want us to buy him or would prefer someone else.
There are several who would like to buy him and reckon he would be a great addition.
Just because you would prefer not to sign him is not hate

Imo the only poor signings are the guys who don't have the inner strength to battle off and on the pitch. I think Paqueta believes in himself a lot more than Phillips did or Nunes does or Doku does or even to some degree Grealish does.

(BTW I hope Grealish, Doku and Nunes keep building confidence and become regular goal threats)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.