Maffeo and Angelino loaned to Girona

Thanks Nelly. I know Mee has played left back in the past but that was probably just filling in. Our best full back in recent times has been Sagna and he prioritises his defensive work
and gets forward when he can. Unless we can acquire world class full backs it would be good to see the defensive side of things given a bigger priority.

My main point was that we have a track
Record overlooking homegrown players over the last decade.
And is it continuing,we have off loaded players such as lopes,Suarez (although he may have wanted to go),Garcia (on loan) and I'm sure there's more but it's not so much a criticism but how do we know if they are good enough if somehow they don't get drafted into the first team set up it seems to be a common theme,of course we can't have a raft of young players all looking to get first team football but even nacho is barely getting game time and that was even with aguero out for five games..

Sorry, for a bit grumpy at some comments. Still, Màffeo knows the club, he can be a starter. I am not sure in what teams can Màffeo and Angelino be starters in the Premier, and I don't see what advantages gives the Championship against 2nd Spanish division.

Pd: comments about Angelino? Is he a useful player?

The Championship is a million miles an hour and a real physical challenge and whilst i dont pretend to know the Spanish 2nd tier, i doubt it based on those qualities mate.

They have to be ready and able to meet the physical demands of the English game week in, week out and whilst technically the Spanish game might bring them more, if they are not already technically gifted enough then i doubt we would even have them.

I believe that more than half of the people here bashing Girona or second Spanish division as shot, haven't even watched 5 full games of that league in their entire life.

Second division is competitive, and Girona will f*cking go up this year.

Girona isn't the main issue here - although Italy might be a better place for young defenders to learn their trade (on loan).

We haven't really developed a home grown player into the City first team in the last decade. Instead we see our former youth players lining up for top teams including Spurs, Barca and Liverpool. Yes the Academy is fairly new but our track record in terms of developing young players towards the first team is pretty miserable. I don't see more loans for Maffeo and Angeline improving their first team chances with us.

They are playing well because they've played week in week out when they left city, we couldnt give that option

True Waspish but we could have bought Trippier back from Burnley when he could have become a full part of our first team squad.

And is it continuing,we have off loaded players such as lopes,Suarez (although he may have wanted to go),Garcia (on loan) and I'm sure there's more but it's not so much a criticism but how do we know if they are good enough if somehow they don't get drafted into the first team set up it seems to be a common theme,of course we can't have a raft of young players all looking to get first team football but even nacho is barely getting game time and that was even with aguero out for five games..

Spot on Deano.

On the rare occasions the younger players get a chance it tends to be in a depleted team, like Kelechi at Leicester or the youth team at Chelsea in the FA Cup

Girona isn't the main issue here - although Italy might be a better place for young defenders to learn their trade (on loan).

We haven't really developed a home grown player into the City first team in the last decade. Instead we see our former youth players lining up for top teams including Spurs, Barca and Liverpool. Yes the Academy is fairly new but our track record in terms of developing young players towards the first team is pretty miserable. I don't see more loans for Maffeo and Angeline improving their first team chances with us.

Well, it's true that Italy is historically better for defenders :) . Still, maybe now they aren't at their best though. Still, a good point to make.

Don't be too surprised. Look at Real Madrid. How many youths are in the first team? Carvajal only came after being sold (not loaned) to a German team. The same with Morata. La liga is littered of players that come from Real Madrid and failed to get into the first team. I think this is the normal stuff for great teams with ample money.

I reckon these 2 going on loan is to ready them for next season. I think Pep sees the pair of them as our full backs next season. The only thing for me, is neither are tall.

Well, it's true that Italy is historically better for defenders :) . Still, maybe now they aren't at their best though. Still, a good point to make.

Don't be too surprised. Look at Real Madrid. How many youths are in the first team? Carvajal only came after being sold (not loaned) to a German team. The same with Morata. La liga is littered of players that come from Real Madrid and failed to get into the first team. I think this is the normal stuff for great teams with ample money.

Thanks Afganitia

Good points about Real creating players for the rest of La Liga. It is the success the Spanish teams have had in getting some of their youth products into their first teams that we are lacking.

I hope Maffeo and Angelino have good loans with Girona. I think Maffeo has a very good
chance of breaking through because of his consistency and the good performances in his few first team displays.

The Championship is a million miles an hour and a real physical challenge and whilst i dont pretend to know the Spanish 2nd tier, i doubt it based on those qualities mate.

They have to be ready and able to meet the physical demands of the English game week in, week out and whilst technically the Spanish game might bring them more, if they are not already technically gifted enough then i doubt we would even have them.

Well, while what you say it's true, I personally think you are overstating the physicality of the premier against Spain.

You can also argue that Spanish teams have more tactical awareness, so it could be something that pep is looking for: players that have played outside England and have a wider scope of what football is.

With the quality of our full backs I simply am at a loss to understand why Maffeo was sent out on loan. Angelino, I can understand as he has a lot to prove. But Maffeo was our best player against Utd in the League Cup. And his reward? Nowt,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.