Media Discussion - 2023/24

Don't know where to post this, new thread ? but it seems the clothing company Superdry are suing us for using Asahi Super Dry. They are demanding damages, all training kits destroyed blah blah blah.

They lodged court papers on December 15th. I assume City think the fact thst it is two words and dry is in inverted commas makes a huge difference.
I didn't know we owned Asahi?

MPs order Premier League chief to explain delay over EFL cash deal​

Select committee will ask Richard Masters about lack of progress in concluding settlement on extra £915m over six years to be paid to 72 Football League clubs

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F4f3b6f43-1651-4455-99c7-9492ed406c07.jpg

Masters, the Premier League chief executive, will be summoned to appear before MPs

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...1?shareToken=803388ff41b97435ff3ea1196e4bc85c

The Premier League is not fit for purpose.
The Government (and the Opposition) are going after Masters. It was clear from the last Select Committee (when he was publically humiliated) they don't trust him an inch.

I didn't know we owned Asahi

Don't know where to post this, new thread ? but it seems the clothing company Superdry are suing us for using Asahi Super Dry. They are demanding damages, all training kits destroyed blah blah blah.

They lodged court papers on December 15th. I assume City think the fact thst it is two words and dry is in inverted commas makes a huge difference.
I doubt City will be involved, it'll be between the brands.

Seems Asahi Super Dry =1987

Superdry clothing =2003

So good luck with that.

Understandable when he’s beholden to the cartel clubs.

They know exactly what’s going on.
I am certain that is true. Apparently MPs have got his card marked and are fully aware of his close relationship with some club Directors. Concerns about Masters are one of the factors driving the push for independent regulation. Football is one of the UK's biggest and most successful industries and the success of the PL helps to generate trade across the globe.

I doubt City will be involved, it'll be between the brands.

Seems Asahi Super Dry =1987

Superdry clothing =2003

So good luck with that.

What they moaning about they getting free publicity if there main problem is people could get mixed up whose brand is who!

Plus it's been 5 months ago since we got that sponsorship! Why now?

The story is online, the Telegraph. It states it is us being sued. Presumably on how we have worded it. I haven't a clue about intellectual property rights.
Nor I. Does seem strange to sue the club who are just displaying another brand's logo.
Perhaps as someone else said, if they're struggling financially then they may may be clutching at straws to get some cash in.

City are not funded by the UAE. Our income comes from sponsorship, broadcast, social media, merchandising, prize money, gate receipts, and lots of other investments, just like other football clubs. Even Sheikh Mansoour himself has an incredibly diverse portfolion and makes most of his profits from banking, property, tech, and ironically renewable energy. Silverlake make most of their revenues from entertainment and leisure.

The Gulf States generate enormous amounts of wealth from petrochemicals, but it's a finite resource, so in tandem to spending some of that fabulous wealth on themselves, they invest a sizeable chunk of it for the day the oil runs out, or the world no longer needs it, and as they're investing for their future they're willing to forgo short term return for long term sustainability and profitability.

Put simply they are able to forgo short term return because the initial investment stage is underwritten by oil revenue.

This Forbes article on our core sponsor Etihad Airways explains it rather well...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2022/09/09/etihad-emirates-qatar-united-delta/

This ‘Money Pit’ Airline Says It’s Finally Set Up To Profit For The Long Haul​

1960x0.jpg

Etihad CEO Tony Douglas at the Dubai Airshow in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in 2019

"Etihad says it logged a record core operating profit for its first half of almost $296 million, breaking a streak of $7.8 billion in reported losses going back to 2016.....

Whether the airline is ready to stand on its own two feet after tens of billions of dollars in support from its state owner, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, is another question."

Where do you think those "tens of billions of dollars in support from its state owner, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi" comes from?

You have to speculate to accumulate and Abu Dhabi has done just that, but you have to have the dosh to speculate and that dosh comes from oil.

Manchester City is an immensely profitable well run club, Sheikh Mansour does not throw money at City and hasn't done so for a considerable period of time. But there was a time at the beginning when he did pump money into the club and we were racking up eye watering losses. Be in no doubt, it's the Sheikh's business model, his ability, willingness, but most importantly the means he used to invest in the club, that's what's on trial right now with the Premier League.

The cartel clubs that run the PL are either American owned or run as if they were, and they see the Sheikh's business model as a threat to their cash cow short-termism. They see it that way because back in the day the Sheikh invested in a way they wouldn't, he deferred short term gain for long term sustainable success and profitability, and that simple fact can never be laid bare to their gullible fans, so the cartel are seeking to delegitimise what he did by effectively criminalising it.

City is not on trial for what we are now, we're on trial for what we were then, and it's vital for the cartel clubs that what we did then must never be repeated, hence Newcastle is the richest pauper in world football.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.