Medium

A much more articulate and amusing way of saying what I'm trying to say, Ric.

Let me give an example of "cold reading" which the above article touches upon.

One of the most celebrated "mediums" there has ever been was the woman whose name escapes me, who supposedly worked with the American police. She had a series called "MEdiums" made about her for American TV, supposedly based on a "true story". Following the series, she was investigated and shown to be a fraud. And she refused all offers to perform under laboratory conditions (as all mediums do, by the way).

One of the police who originally believed her had been told, during a session with her, that she was communicating with one of her dead family who "didn't walk alone". The "victim" (my word) took this as proof of her powers as he had a dead brother who used a wheelchair.

The phrase "didn't walk alone" could mean anything. A dead dog, a live dog, a dead wife, even a wheelchair. But the reaction of the person gives the medium all the info they need to carry on down this track. As I understand it, they "cold read" until they get a bite, and the "victim" gives some info away, then carry on down that road until they get another piece of info.

It's a simple con trick I'm afraid. No offence to you or your sister-in-law, pistonblue.

Didsbury Dave said:
A much more articulate and amusing way of saying what I'm trying to say, Ric.

Let me give an example of "cold reading" which the above article touches upon.

One of the most celebrated "mediums" there has ever been was the woman whose name escapes me, who supposedly worked with the American police. She had a series called "MEdiums" made about her for American TV, supposedly based on a "true story". Following the series, she was investigated and shown to be a fraud. And she refused all offers to perform under laboratory conditions (as all mediums do, by the way).

One of the police who originally believed her had been told, during a session with her, that she was communicating with one of her dead family who "didn't walk alone". The "victim" (my word) took this as proof of her powers as he had a dead brother who used a wheelchair.

The phrase "didn't walk alone" could mean anything. A dead dog, a live dog, a dead wife, even a wheelchair. But the reaction of the person gives the medium all the info they need to carry on down this track. As I understand it, they "cold read" until they get a bite, and the "victim" gives some info away, then carry on down that road until they get another piece of info.

It's a simple con trick I'm afraid. No offence to you or your sister-in-law, pistonblue.

I'm sure that goes on Dave, but honestly she really isn't clever enough to do that, and I don't mean she's thick or anything just not that sly/clever if you know what I mean? I was as as sceptical as anyone before I met her. She's never actually done a reading for me for that reason, plus i'm not interested that I would pay someone anyway. She just says things now and then that in time have made me fully believe her. She's never 'fished' for info or names, she'll just say something like 'who's adam, he's wearing an army uniform?' And I'll say that might be me mates lad, just done his army training. 'Well his mum Claire's proud of him', I'll say oh right yeah she died about ten years ago' 'I know' she'll say 'she's here now'.

I mean look, I can't explain any of this, but it happens like that all the time.

I believe you piston... but saying that it all still comes down to belief... even science in all its bullet proof world is just belief an understanding how the world is put together and what holds it up... the TRUTH of the sixties in the world of science isnt truth today... and todays truth in the world of science isnt the truth tomorrow... hence it boils down to belief... or maybe more accurate as far as we know today!!!! What does that say about mediums and spirits, angels, healing, religion... for me it is the same thing... its a belief and a way of seeing how the world is put together and up hold... I havent met any medium but i have seen and witnessed to much of healing not to say that it doesnt excist... im a firm believer there... how it works i have no idea and i have no longing for to explain it either...i just appreciated the miracles that i witnessed when they happened...

When it comes down to con artist i would say con making has to do with fooling people out of money... blimey then the church and many more religions has been con artists for more than 2000 years... and does that mean that all those people that believe belongs in prison as the dear charles Brooker tried so eloquently to insinuate??

There is no winner in a discussion like this... because it boils down to belief!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.