Mental fatigue

You've missed two, a pretty easy 2-0 win against the cloggers from cardiff, and a fairly emphatic champions league away win, where we are one of a very few english teams to ever win.

Are we on top form consistently, no probably not.

We're missing too many chances, we were doing that for the last 2 seasons, and despite the number we have scored, we've still been doing it for the majority of this season for me.

Dang, I forgot Cardiff. Basel I left out on purpose

Mental fatigue? Ask them lads at the bottom of any division, when your wages are about to get slashed. Not our bajillionaires
What a brexit nonsense. Our players have suffered from poor refereeing and tackles of opposition players. Justifying lower league thugs and blaming our nice, rich and successful players does not make sense.

Mental fatigue? Ask them lads at the bottom of any division, when your wages are about to get slashed. Not our bajillionaires
All players are flesh and blood with human frailty. Just because some players are very highly regarded and very well rewarded does not make them robots. Of course City should have beaten Wigan, and collectively underperformed, but that under performance probably came from a bit of complacency and an element of weariness: physical and mental. Players like Sane are not at their best for obvious reasons. City deserve criticism for playing poorly against Wigan, but if you treat them like robots with bottomless resources then you will get nowhere.

December to February is a slog for any team. Most drop point and have bad results in this period due to the amount of games, weather, pitches etc. You'll see an up curve from March onwards and the football will be back to peak fluency.

Simple (ish) question. Is the season starting to catch up with us mentally as much as physically? We’ve had a long run of injuries that has meant several key players (KDB, Ferna, Sané, Sterling, El General) playing in virtually every game, and that has exacted an inevitable toll physically, but there have been plenty of signs post-Christmas of mental tiredness creeping in as well. A profligacy in front of goal that is now bordering on farcical, calamitous individual errors at the back (Stones vs Burnley, Mangala vs Bristol City (h), Otamendi, Ferna and Stones vs the dippers, Walker last night), an increasing number of heavy touches and poor passes from Raheem and Leroy. Last night I thought Dave looked jaded too - understandably given what he’s been through - and collectively I think leading the pack by so much for so long, brings its own kind of pressure. We’re starting to look like Andy Murray serving for his first Wimbledon title that time when his serve deserted him completely in that final game and he just about staggered over the line.

Away from home in particular it’s been like Groundhog Day: Newcastle (a) 1-0 win when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up hanging on against a team with no ambition whatsoever, Palace (a) 0-0 draw when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up needing Eders to save a 90th minute penalty just to get a point, Liverpool (a) where in just 46 seconds of action (ie. ball in play) we gifted up 2 goals and let the dippers hit the post, Bristol City (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up giving away 2 nothing goals and needed to score with the last kick of the match to win, Burnley (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up letting them hit a post and then equalise, and then last night when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up conceding a soft as fuck winner from virtually the opposition’s only attack. What’s more is that, bar Liverpool, the other 5 teams we’ve faced on that run have all been fucking shite. We’re far enough ahead in the league surely not to fuck it up, but I’m far from convinced we’ll win anything else unless we can rediscover our erstwhile ruthlessness and mental sharpness. Maybe the returning Jesus will help, eh?

Couldn't agree more. I'd throw in the attritional value of the outrageous challenges that have gone unpunished. May be it's my imagination but I'm sure some of our usually measured passing is hurried because our players fear they are going to get flattened with a career-ending challenge.

And I suspect one or two players have started to choose the healthy option and pass backwards when there is a chance to break away quickly.

All players are flesh and blood with human frailty. Just because some players are very highly regarded and very well rewarded does not make them robots. Of course City should have beaten Wigan, and collectively underperformed, but that under performance probably came from a bit of complacency and an element of weariness: physical and mental. Players like Sane are not at their best for obvious reasons. City deserve criticism for playing poorly against Wigan, but if you treat them like robots with bottomless resources then you will get nowhere.
When you see them all drive to training in their high end cars, then giggle and have fun in training for a couple of hours, before hitting the golf course, it makes me wonder about their human frailty

It's not mental fatique. This team goes as far as De Bruyne and to a lesser degree Sterling carry them. City have good set pieces but without table setters, they can't score. Other than the two I mentioned, they have very few players that can make accurate passes in tight spots on the field. It's painful to watch those carefree kicks into the box that are easily swatted away by the defense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.